Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times

Advertisements

The big problem with treating prostate cancer is that the patient can live a long, long, time without any treatment. It's a pecular disease. Does a man take a chance of dying of something else before the cancer really starts to cause problems?

It's an individual decision. Does he want to deal with surgery?? Have Chemo and it's side effects? Or just gamble?

We have had only one case in our families. And Uncle that lived over 40 years after the diagnosis. Pills, chemo, radiation, everything! For him, as a young man in his 40s with a family to care for, it was worth it. For an 80 year old man......probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The big problem with treating prostate cancer is that the patient can live a long, long, time without any treatment. It's a pecular disease. Does a man take a chance of dying of something else before the cancer really starts to cause problems?

It's an individual decision. Does he want to deal with surgery?? Have Chemo and it's side effects? Or just gamble?

We have had only one case in our families. And Uncle that lived over 40 years after the diagnosis. Pills, chemo, radiation, everything! For him, as a young man in his 40s with a family to care for, it was worth it. For an 80 year old man......probably not.
you bring up pretty much the same point my husbands urologist brings up. At 75, yes, hubby will probably have radiation but even without, the doctor said his chances of dieing of cancer in the next 5 years are slim. So, even though he is going to opt for radiation probably if his had not diagnosed for another few years or if another cancer returns he isn't going to do anything..It is a gamble and an individual decision with no right or wrong answer.

Nita

Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times
My DH is home now , recuperating from his robotic radical prostatectomy. His cancer was diagnosed as a moderately aggressive type. Being in his fifties, and of general good health, we did not want to gamble with the chance that his cancer could spread to his bladder or surrounding organs. We also did not want to opt for a treatment that was more likely to damage his capabilities of continence and sexual activity. There is still the possibility of such side effects. Gambling, yes. I prefer to put my bet on the odds for keeping my dear one with me for many more years to come.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Wishing your husband a speedy recovery! It sounds like he absolutely made the right choice for himself.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
My DH is home now , recuperating from his robotic radical prostatectomy. His cancer was diagnosed as a moderately aggressive type. Being in his fifties, and of general good health, we did not want to gamble with the chance that his cancer could spread to his bladder or surrounding organs. We also did not want to opt for a treatment that was more likely to damage his capabilities of continence and sexual activity. There is still the possibility of such side effects. Gambling, yes. I prefer to put my bet on the odds for keeping my dear one with me for many more years to come.
Speedy recovery to him. Yes, at 50ish it is one thing and friends we have known under mid 60s have opt for the same as your husband, it is the older men that often decide against surgery. We are lucky to have choices I think.

Nita

Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 58,434 times
Default Alternative treatment to heal cancer

My father was also diagnosed with prostate cancer that also spread to bone cancer. I am a natural nutrionist who believes that food can heal our bodies. My father did not take any chemo or radiation and he was healed by doing the following. Some are opposed to alternative treatments but what do you have to loose. It can't hurt at this point. You have to believe that healing can, will and is taking place. I am a christian so i believe in speaking life to a situation. I gave my father bible versus that spoke to healing and life for him to resite several times daily. only surround yourself with people who are speaking life. I encouraged my father daily and made sure he was doing the protocal all by phone because i lived in another state. For example, when someone ask how are you doing? Your response can be, I believe that I doing better and better everyday. visualization is also important. Every time you drink the green juice visualize the cancer be dissolved with every sip. Well i have to go, at work and in a rush. Love ya and be blessed

Instructions:
3. consume 64-128 ounces of green juices daily
4. Avoid all processed foods
5. Avoid meat protein, consume plant based protein
6. All water should be distilled
7. Daily enema 6 quarts followed by wheatgrass implants (walmart sell 2qt bag for under $5.00)
8. colonics if can afford it

1. Majority raw diet. As much green things as you can eat
2. Juice wheatgrass daily. 10 oz daily. Can seperate dosage for b,L,D
3. juice greens consisting of: sunflower seed sprouts, dandelion, cabbage, green apple for taste, cilantro, parsley, celery, cucumber, kale

I suggest you grow your own wheatgrass and sunflower sprouts. They are cheap and easy to grow. Check out you tube for directions. also growing your own allows for more consumption with low cost.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times
My DH is now on day 13 after laproscopic robotic surgery. He is doing well but very depressed. He had a mild uti and is taking antibiotics but the surgery prognosis is very good. Drs feel they have removed all the cancer intact within the gland capsule. Now it's just the adjustments to temporary incontinence and impotence. Having never had surgery before he is very unnerved by the fact that his strength, stamina, and continence are all compromised.

Nevertheless we are glad that the cancer scare is behind us.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM

78 posts, read 330,375 times
tcrackly: It sounds like your husband had his operation on the same day as mine. I am now 2weeks and 2 days past the catheter(That was not fun). It is important not to get depressed just think that you beat the cancer thing and all will get better in time. If he continues to be depressed check out local support groups or DM me. I have talked to and corresponded with many guys who had the operation and did many hours of research to decide which approach to do. Yes the incontinence is a pain but it will get better, just do lots of Kegel exercises.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 AM

342 posts, read 716,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
My DH is now on day 13 after laproscopic robotic surgery. He is doing well but very depressed. He had a mild uti and is taking antibiotics but the surgery prognosis is very good. Drs feel they have removed all the cancer intact within the gland capsule. Now it's just the adjustments to temporary incontinence and impotence. Having never had surgery before he is very unnerved by the fact that his strength, stamina, and continence are all compromised.

Nevertheless we are glad that the cancer scare is behind us.
My husband also recently had the DaVinci surgery. He too had never been in a hospital, and was terrified. His surgery went well, and the incontinence is slowly getting better. I would guess that your husband's UTI might have set him back a little. Our urologist offered bio-feedback to help with the incontinence (it helps determine whether you are doing the Kegal exercises correctly). I keep telling my husband (who thinks he should be superman) that it takes quite a while to feel totally better after any surgery. He is doing great 3 weeks post-op, but I notice that he gets tired late in the day, and tends to have more leaking then. I'm sure it will get better with time.

I try to be as supportive as possible, and it sounds like you are doing the same. We've also discovered that laughter truly is the best medicine. In the middle of his recuperation, I pulled a back muscle, so we joke a lot about how our bodies are falling apart - the laughter I think really helps.

I wish you and your husband the best - please encourage him that it will get better and everyone heals at a different rate.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Folks, please remember that this thread is about financial aid for the surgery. It has wandered pretty far off topic but it has good info and support. Just keep to topic from now on, please! THere is another thread about the DaVinci method and at least one about treating or not.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer