Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times

Advertisements

Hospital denied any financial aid. We are self-pay , subject to whatever payment plan we can work out now. Bills are just starting to roll in . I'm glad my DH has bettered his life odds with this surgery, but now we face the stress of knowing what little we own is vulnerable to this debt. This just adds to his already existing depression and taxes my skills to cope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 03:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Hospital denied any financial aid. We are self-pay , subject to whatever payment plan we can work out now. Bills are just starting to roll in . I'm glad my DH has bettered his life odds with this surgery, but now we face the stress of knowing what little we own is vulnerable to this debt. This just adds to his already existing depression and taxes my skills to cope.
Have you tried the Cancer Society or talk to the ocology clinic? My husband didn't get help for the costs of treatments, but helped with other bills. I am sorry you got turned down, did they give you a reason? There must be somewhere to turn? I know the bills can be very discouraging but, at least, he is doing well and you should have a long life together ahead of you. I do hope, in the near future you will have an opportunity to secure health insurance.

Nita

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM

342 posts, read 716,935 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry you got turned down for financial aid. The first page of this thread had a link to a Prostate Foundation that looked like it had many sources of aid - might be worth checking all of them. Have you met with the hospital social worker? Perhaps they would have some ideas. I have never had to deal with this issue, so I don't know what's out there, but I would certainly check as many sources as possible to see if they can offer some relief.

I wish you the best in working this out. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,494 times
songinthewind7 that's a brilliant advice...!! i love that

Old 09-19-2012, 10:37 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times
Didn't have much time to respond to this thread...too much to do. The Prostate Cancer Foundation is like many other charities for medical treatment they have income thresholds and /or are set up to offer supplemental help to existing insurances. All the cancer funds I investigated offered stipends for travel, necessities or they helped with co-pays. I have no major medical so we are strictly self-pay. total billing turnes out to be in excess of $24000.00. So we arranged for a reasonable monthly installment based on our budget assessment.We will probably have them paid off by the time we are in long term care! In the meantime we are trying to get state-assisted major medical coverage for future concerns.
We do what we can and hope for the best. DH hada good follow-up with the urologist. PSa is good, although it was never high prior to surgery. He is still struggling with ED and some urinary leakage. I'm just glad to have the probability of many more years with him.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Thanks for the update. I am sure time will be on his side.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Didn't have much time to respond to this thread...too much to do. The Prostate Cancer Foundation is like many other charities for medical treatment they have income thresholds and /or are set up to offer supplemental help to existing insurances. All the cancer funds I investigated offered stipends for travel, necessities or they helped with co-pays. I have no major medical so we are strictly self-pay. total billing turnes out to be in excess of $24000.00. So we arranged for a reasonable monthly installment based on our budget assessment.We will probably have them paid off by the time we are in long term care! In the meantime we are trying to get state-assisted major medical coverage for future concerns.
We do what we can and hope for the best. DH hada good follow-up with the urologist. PSa is good, although it was never high prior to surgery. He is still struggling with ED and some urinary leakage. I'm just glad to have the probability of many more years with him.
thanks for the update: we can really identify with you. ALthough we do have medi-care and other sup insurance, our bills have piled up and up. We too, got turned down because we have a few bucks in the bank. At least, unlike you we do have insurance. We too, worked out a payment plan and like you, figure our bills will be paid off, if we are lucky before we go to our grave. Still, all in all, we are happy that hubby seems to be doing fine and we thank God for every day we have together.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Glad you updated!

I'm sorry you weren't able to find any assistance. Some of my friends arranged fund raisers for me. I was suprized by how much was raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer