Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I emailed all my students and told them to bring me 7up and ice cream. I'm going to keep teaching.
Bravo! That's the spirit. (... and ice cream floats are wonderful things)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Just checking in and thinking of you, mvintar. I hope the tylenol, motrin, diet 7Up and ice cream help.

Thank you for thinking of me! I didn't know you could alternate tylenol & motrin; it does seem to help. She's bringing the 7up & ice cream after work, in about a half an hour or so. I'm sending her home with things I could not possibly eat now: boiled eggs, asparagus, oranges. Just thinking about those items makes me sick. Distractions, that's what helps. Versus just laying there, in misery. I had two grilled cheese sandwiches; that seemed to help too. I'm think I'm going to live on cereal, ice cream, ice, 7up and perhaps the smoothies with bananas I make. Food is really important because I have to take the meds with food. Nasty.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Okay. It's not easy, is it? I'm not used to being sick. I hate this. Okay, I'll try it. It's the only relief, the mental one.
You can take what you can get. It is very hard. It took me two weeks of chemo to adapt and function. It is not good. But it is life saving.

After I was finished with chemo it took me a long long time to come to terms with it and able to talk about it.

It will be really hard, but it does get better.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:24 AM

I guess the third day is going to be the bad day after chemo, because I'm much better today; still achey, but not terribly ill feeling. Was actually better yesterday evening.

Someone said chemo's a lifesafer; I hope it is. It didn't save my dad (he actually died of heart failure, but he had skin cancer, lymphoma and he broke his leg, in his bed!). Of course, he was 20 years older than me when he got cancer, was worn out from WWII and a lifetime of working, had been exposed to the solvent/cigarette smoke. I've never done anything but sit on my butt and read, and play the violin.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:30 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,042,585 times
Quote:
I guess the third day is going to be the bad day after chemo, because I'm much better today; still achey, but not terribly ill feeling. Was actually better yesterday evening.

Someone said chemo's a lifesafer; I hope it is. It didn't save my dad (he actually died of heart failure, but he had skin cancer, lymphoma and he broke his leg, in his bed!). Of course, he was 20 years older than me when he got cancer, was worn out from WWII and a lifetime of working, had been exposed to the solvent/cigarette smoke. I've never done anything but sit on my butt and read, and play the violin.
For me, it was day three and four that were the absolute worst. I called it the "chemo crash". It's different for everyone. I'm glad you're feeling better today. You will get through this! Hang in there.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Hang in there, babe!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:34 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
When I was undergoing chemo, I always took steroids starting a day or two after, for 5 days. Only side effect I had was insomnia.

I found I wasn't hungry and what appealed in the morning, didn't appeal by lunch. Ate a lot of oatmeal, shakes and drank Ensure.

The chemo does take a lot out of you and I ended up with pneumonia, so make sure you keep an eye on your temperature, although I'm sure they told you that.

There is a rainbow at the end...I wish you well.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Made it through teaching today. Not feeling "normal" but not especially sick, either. Feeling some pains at the site inside, where the tumor was removed. And all kinds of little pains in all sorts of weird places; legs, tips of fingers.

Students brought me 7up and ice cream, as requested. What I've discovered is that Diet 7up does NOT taste good any more; Sprint Zero is much, much better. One student brought me a soda in a cup with ice from Sonic, which was especially nasty, given that the ice must have been made from local water. Our water here is beyond nasty.

Ice cream, of course, solves most of the problems of the world, especially chocolate.

Had a fever today, I think; I know I have to watch that but it's gone down now. Also gas; haven't eaten anything heavy to cause this. I'm assuming it's the chemo. Nasty, nasty nasty.

Last edited by mvintar; 04-21-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM

I'm feeling so much better today! I don't even feel that wierd (a little, but not much). Don't even need any pain medication (tylenol/motrin alternating every 2 hrs.). Wonderful. Life has so many simple pleasures that we may not notice until we get sick: a warm shower, a nice lunch, washing & folding clothes, petting the kittykat (Edward the II). So much is taken for granted.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Glad you are feeling better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer