Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,367 times

Advertisements

Today I'm starting Medrol dose pack, which apparently is an adrenocortical steriod. Anyone know why we have to take steriods and what the possible side affects are? I googled it but was not able to translate the medical jargon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
Today I'm starting Medrol dose pack, which apparently is an adrenocortical steriod. Anyone know why we have to take steriods and what the possible side affects are? I googled it but was not able to translate the medical jargon.
This comes courtesy of kidshealth.org. I looked for something simple so that I would understand it as well.

Steroids can help with your treatment in a variety of ways:
  • reduce nausea associated with chemotherapy and radiation
  • kill cancer cells and shrink tumors as part of chemotherapy
  • decrease swelling
  • reduce allergic reactions (before transfusions, for example)
Hope that helps a little.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
This comes courtesy of kidshealth.org. I looked for something simple so that I would understand it as well.

Steroids can help with your treatment in a variety of ways:
  • reduce nausea associated with chemotherapy and radiation
  • kill cancer cells and shrink tumors as part of chemotherapy
  • decrease swelling
  • reduce allergic reactions (before transfusions, for example)
Hope that helps a little.

It does help. Thanks, Charley. I've just heard such horrible things about steriods.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,044,320 times
Quote:
It does help. Thanks, Charley. I've just heard such horrible things about steriods.
Unfortunately, they appear to be a necessary evil in cancer treatment. Just as you will get through the chemo, you'll also get through the steroids. There is life after Decadron / Predisone / your-steroid-goes-here.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
I'm going to be your Dutch uncle here and suggest strongly that when you are given a prescription for anything you need to ask the doctor or the nurse what it is and why, specifically, do you need it?

Medications have many applications and it's hard to know which one is yours. Then there is the matter of the off-label uses. There is TMI for you to try to figure it out. Especially when you can get the answer by asking the question at the source.

Everyone here is willing to share their experiences. And their survival. And we'll gladly be your cheering squad. Rah, rah! But when it comes to actual medical questions, your medical team is your best, and should be your only, resource.

It sounds like all is going smoothly so far. May it continue thus.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 PM

>> Everyone here is willing to share their experiences. And their survival. And we'll gladly be your cheering squad. Rah, rah! But when it comes to actual medical questions, your medical team is your best, and should be your only, resource.

Well, thank you; in other words, don't post medical questions. If you'd read my other thread you'd have discovered that my oncology nurse is incompetent. Now they told me today they're not going to do any more emails, only phone calls. And after the snotty response from the moderator, I'm out of here.

Last edited by mvintar; 04-18-2012 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
>> Everyone here is willing to share their experiences. And their survival. And we'll gladly be your cheering squad. Rah, rah! But when it comes to actual medical questions, your medical team is your best, and should be your only, resource.

Well, thank you; in other words, don't post medical questions. If you'd read my other thread you'd have discovered that my oncology nurse is incompetent. Now they told me today they're not going to do any more emails, only phone calls. And after the snotty response from the moderator, I'm out of here.
Understandable. I, too, was quick on the emotional trigger when I was starting on my cancer trip.

You are free to post anything you want. I didn't say you couldn't. What I said was you should rely on your medical team for medical questions. Yes, I did read the other thread, and your complaint about your oncology nurse. You present as an intelligent person, but you're in a fragile state right now and that will pass.

You ask questions, and more questions and yet again. The oncology people work for you. And you are entitled to an answer to any question you have. Those answers should come from the person(s) who are familiar with your particular case.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
When I started chemo, the head oncology nurse had what they call a chemo teach-in in which everything was explained to me completely separate from the hustle and bustle of infusion, appointments, etc. I was just there (in an office!) to learn about the meds and side effects. Can you demand something like that?

In the very least, I think the most helpful thing for me was that the nurse brought in print outs of the next few months. She wrote all my chemo appointments, then wrote out (in different color markers) which pills I needed to take which days and at what times. You have about a 10 dozen things flying past your head at every appointment - a visual representation of what you need to do was so necessary for me. Could you organize that yourself? IE get a cheapo wall calendar and some markers and bring it to an appointment, and demand your oncologist or nurse practitioner sit down with you and write out ALL of the info, telling you exactly what each thing does, when you take it, and anything you need to know about taking it (ie with food, drinking extra water, etc etc).

Every appointment is about being inundated with information. Unfortunately, all too often it's up to use to run interference. I'm so sorry that you're stuck in the middle!

I had IV chemo and only started taking it orally when one of my chemos caused serious lung damage (effing bleomycin). Steroids made me stereotypically roid rage. What really helped me was to get a mouth guard to help prevent gnashing and clenching of teeth from the steroids while I slept. My first cycle had HORRIBLE headaches and jaw pain - that all stopped once I got a mouth guard. Steroids also made me want to eat everything in sight, then run (walk, crawl) to the store and eat some more. Keep lots of healthy snacks on hand!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 AM

Got through the first day after chemo; felt like I was nuts all day. Teaching was fine, though, but they've got me on steriods. Connie on steriods; not a pleasant thought, as I normally have too much energy/strength as it is. Difficult day, really; I was angry at everyone all day, hard to get along with, worried I was going to be sick. On two naseua meds. I HATE having to do this.

The Zofran taste slightly sweet but the steriods leave a terrible taste in my mouth. Anything I can do to contradict that? TIA

Cherry cough drop -- just did the trick.

Last edited by mvintar; 04-19-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I have had minimal side effects from my steriods. I think I get some by IV day of chemo, and then I take decadron the day after chemo. I've noticed I'm a little snarky for a few days, although that could be stress. A lot of people in my support group have trouble sleeping from the steriods, but that hasn't bothered me too much either. I'm told the steroids are to counteract the far worse side effects from the chemo.
Take it easy this week. The best way to make yourself sick is to overdo it. You're at the start of a long journey, and you want to conserve your energy and resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer