Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 05:54 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,156,877 times

Advertisements

An interesting article.

BBC News - Courses help cancer survivors face the future

"More and more people are surviving cancer in the UK due to improvements in treatment and diagnosis.
But surviving the disease is not the only hurdle to be overcome.
Many survivors struggle with long-term health problems caused by their treatment and others need psychological support to cope with the fear of the disease recurring, as well as problems with self-esteem and body image."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:42 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,817,881 times
This is one of the things I struggled with. It is part of why I want to advocate and support survivors. We need more of these programs.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,466,837 times
I wish there were more of these. My hospital offered one, but it was all women 60+. There's nothing wrong with that (and a 60 year old with cancer has ever reason to believe they could have 20 years of survivorship ahead of them!), but it was very hard being in a room of people talking about their grandchildren when chances are good that I won't even be able to have children of my own!

Survivorship, for me, is even harder than facing cancer. Like SF4020, I think I've become more of an advocate because of my own struggles. I have every reason to believe that I have 60, maybe even 70! years left in my life. I used to feel excited about those possibilities - but now I feel like cancer is lurking in every corner. The financial burden is always there. The social implications of a relapse, or just having had cancer in general, is much more overwhelming than expected. I feel judged because of the weight gain and the harder time doing things. I just had to launch into a whole thing with my landlord and downstairs neighbor over parking because my neighbors were making it difficult for me to park - so I was walking over a block for on street parking and really struggling. There's just a lot of struggle and few people who are trained to help guide us through it. I'd love to see more classes offered for a larger range of people (ie not just the elderly and breast cancer survivors) in helping them deal with survivorship.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,105,187 times
charo I can completely relate. They have cancer support groups at my cancer center but I am sure it is all older people. I'm the only cancer patient I've seen here that looks to be under the age of 55 or 60. I think these supportive programs are great. Some of the places the women in my online support group go to for treatment, have pre-treatment "cancer classes" a person can take to familiarize themselves with what will happen, and I think that would have been helpful too.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,042,974 times
I'm a big fan of forums! when I went through my double knee-replacements (not my first knee surgeries by far, but definitely the biggest), I had the support of a fabulous international forum. any time I went online, someone was there. and they'd been through just about everything!

So when DH was dx'd I again turned to my computer. He's a loner and doesn't really want 'company' - but I do. I want some place I can ask questions and find out from people going through the same thing. I started here, and was encouraged to find a specialty forum which I have (if you have colo-rectal cancer, the colon club has people of all ages going through all levels of things! nothing is taboo, and they are great people). It's not the same as a group you see faces of, but then sometimes a little distance can be a good thing - I don't always want to be seen when I'm typing with tears streaming down my face because I'm scared to death of losing DH . In specialty forums you are much more likely to find a wider age range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer