Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 PM

171 posts, read 359,084 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am here because my aunt has been diagnosed with lung cancer - Adenocarcinoma, non small cell lung cancer. She is 45, never smoker and has always had a healthy lifestyle. We don't know how she could have caught it, genetic maybe ?

She started chemo a few days ago, she feels tired, sleeps all day long and has sore muscles. Is this a normal reaction ?
I also would like to know there are any lung cancer survivors on this forum. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I'm not sure if there are any lung cancer survivors here, but I can't recommend the LUNGevity Foundation enough! In particular, they have specialize support for those with lung cancer and their caregivers/supporters: LUNGevity offers the largest online network of support for all people affected by lung cancer. - LUNGevity Foundation.

Anecdotally, I know a girl who was diagnosed when she was a student athlete with Stage III lung cancer at 21. She never smoked, drank, anything - sometimes, there are just flukes and cells go rogue. She's 3 or 4 years into remission now.

For almost all chemos, it's incredibly normal to feel tired and be sore. I have never experienced soreness and both general and muscle fatigue the same way as I did during chemo. No amount of working out, long days, etc came anywhere close! So yes, it is totally normal. Not to mention the depression you have indicated that she's suffering from.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Charolastra,
I am sorry to hear that you went through chemo as well... I hope that you are now feeling better.
The example of the girl gives me hope, everything is possible then! As you mentioned it is chemo and depression...
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. Best of luck to you and all cancer patients.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London29 View Post
Hi all,

I am here because my aunt has been diagnosed with lung cancer - Adenocarcinoma, non small cell lung cancer. She is 45, never smoker and has always had a healthy lifestyle. We don't know how she could have caught it, genetic maybe ?

She started chemo a few days ago, she feels tired, sleeps all day long and has sore muscles. Is this a normal reaction ?
I also would like to know there are any lung cancer survivors on this forum. Many thanks.
You really don't catch it per say, not like catching the flu or a cold. Who knows? We had a friend that was even a little younger, her husband did smoke a pipe but other than that no one in the family smoked. Smoking is awful, as we all know, but I think too many automatically think smokers get lung cancer and nor smokers don't.

As for lung cancer survivors, we have 2 friend that did survive. One eventually developed a cancerous tumor on his kidney, but it wasn't related to his lung cancer and was years later.

Who knows what causes cancers to develop or become active, whatever. We have been told we all have cancer cells, some of us are lucky they never cause cancer to develop. Some of us come with a family history of cancer. Who knows?

I was 25 when I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. No one in our family had ever had cancer and no one has since except for our daughter who has had to melanomas removed, but in her case it had to do with being a competitive swimmer for years, a sun worshiper, very fair redhead and her dad has had 2 removed.

My husband has had 3 bouts of cancer, again, none in his family except an aunt who had colon cancer at 89,

Of course it is normal for your aunt to be tired after chemo, plus she is probably somewhat depressed right now.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks nmita for the input.
Sorry to hear that you and members of your family had cancer. I am so glad to hear that your friends did survive after lung cancer, there is hope.
As you mentionned who knows what causes it to develop. My aunt is the first case of cancer in our family. We are now getting used to idea but it is very hard for us and I can only imagine how it is for her. We are so scared to loose her and she is obviously very scared, depressed, doesn't talk much...
I found a website called " Inspire ". It is a wealth of information about Lung cancer.
I am trying to help as much as I can... Good luck and I hope for you all to stay cancer free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer