Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times

Advertisements

At a professional seminar on cancer recently, I met a woman who is a 32-yr survivor of breast cancer, one who is an 11-yr survivor, and one who just passed her 5-yr mark. Even many years ago, people were surviving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
At a professional seminar on cancer recently, I met a woman who is a 32-yr survivor of breast cancer, one who is an 11-yr survivor, and one who just passed her 5-yr mark. Even many years ago, people were surviving!
You're absolutely right. My aunt had her first breast cancer episode in 1972, had cancer in the other breast in 2000, and currently has a spot on her lung that's being watched. At 86 years old, she and my uncle are still "kicking butt and taking names" and show no sign of stopping any time soon!

At my last Relay for Life, I met several fellow survivors who have been so for thirty years and more!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:08 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
The whole cancer is a death sentence is the worst line of reasoning ever. I was chair of the survivorship committee for Relay For Life two years ago. There were about 100 cancer survivors at the event. There were several 30 plus year survivors. With the total combined years of survival totaled around 175 years of combined survivorship.

There is a change with cancer. 20 years ago the rate wasn't anyway near what it is now, the stigma of having cancer is slower to change, but it is changing. I think it amounts to more about people not knowing what an appropriate response is.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,864 times
No one wants to hear Cancer. Your days might be numbered if you have it.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM

As I said earlier ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
BULL!

I was treated for Stage IV Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma with surgery, two different types of chemotherapy, radiation and more. I'm in remission, doing fine thank you very much and my days are not numbered at all.

Anyone who suggests such a thing has a lot to learn about cancer, current day treatments and modern medicine!
This death sentence, days might be numbered crap has to stop! For MOST cancers, it is just NOT TRUE!

Old 05-14-2012, 04:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,177 times
however, it must be admitted that some people do still die of cancer. it can kill you. It has gotten so much better, but.. that's why it's so scary. it is not a diagnosis to be taken lightly.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
however, it must be admitted that some people do still die of cancer. it can kill you. It has gotten so much better, but.. that's why it's so scary. it is not a diagnosis to be taken lightly.
Agreed ... but in most cases it is NOT a death sentence. I think that the more people understand that improvements in treatment have changed the landscape, the less fear there will be in the word. There are 11.7 million of us survivors walking around as testimony to that.

Call it a chronic disease ... call it a life-changer ... call it a definite pain-in-the-butt ... call it something that no one wants ... but please don't call it a death sentence.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverworks View Post
Because cancer is synonymous to your days are numbered aka death sentence.
When people hear the "C" word the only thing they can think about is the *gasp!* moment from all their favorite soap operas and movies. These gasp moments are by FAR the minority. Polychemotheraputic breakthroughs over the past 50 years (yes we have been treating many cancers successfully for a long time) have had incredible results.

I must say though, the last thing I would ever EVER want to do is trivialize the severity of treatment. It is dangerous, but cancer patients stand a better chance of having perfectly healthy lives with each new advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This is why so many of us have serious problems relating to people after we have had cancer. I was diagnosed with Stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma a month after my 23rd birthday. Now, there is still a chance that I will die before I hit 28 but there's a 75% chance that I will live much longer than that.
I was shocked at the numbers for HL. Even late stage diagnoses and unfavorable prognoses stand a great chance at being healthy into old age. Heck, I have a friend of a friend who lives a 100% healthy life and had HL 30 years ago!! The treatment was only starting to be widely accepted in the 70's!

Anyway, more directly to your point charo, I understand that it's extremely difficult to relate to people once that big diagnosis hits home. I wish every day that there was some way I could help my gf shoulder the burden or trade her pain for my well-being. I really hate that I can't relate to her on that level. I have seen her at her worst and I still have no idea how difficult it is because I haven't been through it. That really kills me inside. It hurts that there is a void in her life that I can't address, but you can be sure I'm trying damn hard. I just don't understand though and it really eats me up inside.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
No one wants to hear Cancer. Your days might be numbered if you have it.
Tony, we do understand that your Dad didn't beat the odds, but for many, there is hope. We certainly would never trivialize what your family has endured, but we are talking here about those who automatically assume that cancer means a death sentence. That just isn't so, and there are many people who have survived. It is wrong of some people to perpetuate the belief that it is the end of the line.

I'm 76 years old. I've survived three and a half years. So far, my surgeon is pleased that I've made it this far without a recurrence. That is not to say that it won't happen, but I have made it out of the first two years danger zone. With luck, I'm going to die of something other than cancer. Maybe just from parts wearing out!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:17 PM

137 posts, read 503,031 times
Good points people, and very inspiring stuff, Thank You.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer