Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,032,208 times

Advertisements

Twenty years ago, my MIL died of cancer (might have been liver, it was certainly around there, but not sure where the primary was). At that time, there wasn't much hope - she was non-operable. But she participated in some trials anyway. We don't know which ones, but we like to think that she did all that so that her son now has the benefit of those tests (well, maybe not necessarily him if it's was different cancer, but some people anyway).

In April, we when got the news that the first round of chemo didn't work after all, the onc made a comment that things had advanced so well now that we have the opportunity to try round 2 - twenty years ago (number grabbed from the sky) he wouldn't have been around 6 months after dx to be able to try round 2.

New treatments put lots of people into remission, NED, or at least stretch out time a lot longer than 6 months. To me, the 'death sentence' is that I keep seeing so many people after 8 years of colo-rectal cancer losing the battle and I"m not ready to be a widow in 8 years (yes, I keep that to myself)!! DH is determined to beat it and I want to support that as much as possible. Maybe he will. new things come out all the time, and we just don't know. But it is so much better than it ever used to be.

Someone was pointing out about the soaps... I know that on the ones that I have watched, they may have a cancer storyline for a character, and sometimes they may have a recurrence. but they do seem to beat it anyway. I wish the media would promote it more. I wish there were more than just the 'sea of pink' (sorry, the merchandising that does nothing annoys me) that promoted how many people survive quite well. Maybe then the immediate reaction wouldn't be 'death sentence'. I know the colon club has a yearly calendar with models that are all colo-rectal sruvivors. Just to show you can still be hot even with dealing with cancer!

Quote:
Call it a chronic disease ... call it a life-changer ... call it a definite pain-in-the-butt ... call it something that no one wants ... but please don't call it a death sentence.
love it, Charley!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Who in their right mind wouldn't be afraid of cancer?

Many people don't know how to deal with the knowledge that a friend or loved one has any potentially life-threatening disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Call it a chronic disease ... call it a life-changer ... call it a definite pain-in-the-butt ... call it something that no one wants
Changed my life, for sure.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,874,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Tony, we do understand that your Dad didn't beat the odds, but for many, there is hope. We certainly would never trivialize what your family has endured, but we are talking here about those who automatically assume that cancer means a death sentence. That just isn't so, and there are many people who have survived. It is wrong of some people to perpetuate the belief that it is the end of the line.

I'm 76 years old. I've survived three and a half years. So far, my surgeon is pleased that I've made it this far without a recurrence. That is not to say that it won't happen, but I have made it out of the first two years danger zone. With luck, I'm going to die of something other than cancer. Maybe just from parts wearing out!
Well it depends on the cancer you have and what stage. The cancer that my father had was the worst one. That's good news about yourself

Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapsk8 View Post
March of this year I was diagnosed with cancer, they removed a 4 cm tumor and in fact I still have some cancer cells in my lymphnodes to which I am goign into surgery this coming 21st to get removed.......

I have found that a lot of people, freinds, etc have suddenly found it difficult to talk to me. I'm very up beat and even with this cancer have kept my positive attitude and have the drive and the fight to win this battle. I find people telling me they are sorry, don't know what to say, etc.

Is this just me? I have gotten to the point where when there is a lull in the conversation I'll tell them, listen, I am the same coworker, freind, dad, husband, etc....Cancer is not what or who I am but a small part I am having to deal with. I encourage them to ask me questions if they want to know something about my cancer instead of just avoiding me or the conversation....
First of all, hope your surgery the other day went well and you are on the road to a quick recovery and a healthy life for many years:

As for people and the big C, yes, it is a word that is hard for many to even talk about. Even though we know science is making great headway in fighting the desease and finding better treatments. Yesterday, hubby and I were in our local grocery store. Because we are fairly active in the community many people know hubby has had a round of radiation for one type of cancer and now is about to start another round. He feels fine, looks good and is doing amazingly well, but both the store manager and another employee wanted to help him push the cart. I guess they thought he would tumble over any minute. The concerns are appreciated, but I want to tell the world: let him do it himself..He has cancer, but is not an invalid...

Nita

Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
At a professional seminar on cancer recently, I met a woman who is a 32-yr survivor of breast cancer, one who is an 11-yr survivor, and one who just passed her 5-yr mark. Even many years ago, people were surviving!
and I am a 50 year survivor of cervical cancer.

Tony, yes, your dad had, probably the worst cancer there is, but for most of us, cancer diagnosed early is either curable or can betreated so we can live years in remission. For those of us past 60 or so, we can remember when cancer, not only was a death sentence, in most cases, it was a fast one. People lived only months or maybe a year or two, now, with great advances in the field we are living healthier and happier lives.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
For those of us past 60 or so, we can remember when cancer, not only was a death sentence, in most cases, it was a fast one. People lived only months or maybe a year or two, now, with great advances in the field we are living healthier and happier lives.
I'm 62 in July, and I keep forgetting this, that I may very well live. I really thought, initially, that I was going to die--despite what the surgeon told me about "dodging a bullet," etc. I just really have a hard time thinking I'm going to survive this.

When it all started, I made arrangements to give my music, recording collection and books to the local university library and my instruments to the school of music. I thought of a box of things I wanted to send my brother and the rest of my belongings should go to the Salvation Army; my clothes, etc. Even made arrangments for my cat, which was the hardest of all (to a student my age, who promised to find him a good home). I tried to think of everything so I wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Now I don't know. I was all bright and happy this morning but I was so tired yesterday; I'm having pains where the surgery was and I'm so scared it will have a reoccurrence. Frankly, I'm so sad, anyway, I've lost so many people that mattered to me already, I'm not so sure if I care to go on living, truth be told.

Maybe I crashed emotionally because I stopped taking those hormones the surgeon prescribed. I just don't see anything sensible about taking some substance that is known to cause ovarian cancer, after I had surgery for ovarian cancer. Also, transcribing my dad's letters is emotionally draining. Perhaps I shouldn't do it now but I feel like I want to finish it, while I can, get the book published and then I can let it go.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I'm 62 in July, and I keep forgetting this, that I may very well live. I really thought, initially, that I was going to die--despite what the surgeon told me about "dodging a bullet," etc. I just really have a hard time thinking I'm going to survive this.

When it all started, I made arrangements to give my music, recording collection and books to the local university library and my instruments to the school of music. I thought of a box of things I wanted to send my brother and the rest of my belongings should go to the Salvation Army; my clothes, etc. Even made arrangments for my cat, which was the hardest of all (to a student my age, who promised to find him a good home). I tried to think of everything so I wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

Now I don't know. I was all bright and happy this morning but I was so tired yesterday; I'm having pains where the surgery was and I'm so scared it will have a reoccurrence. Frankly, I'm so sad, anyway, I've lost so many people that mattered to me already, I'm not so sure if I care to go on living, truth be told.

Maybe I crashed emotionally because I stopped taking those hormones the surgeon prescribed. I just don't see anything sensible about taking some substance that is known to cause ovarian cancer, after I had surgery for ovarian cancer. Also, transcribing my dad's letters is emotionally draining. Perhaps I shouldn't do it now but I feel like I want to finish it, while I can, get the book published and then I can let it go.
right now it sounds like you need a pat on the back or a good shoulder to cry on. Remember, chemo is a really tough form of treatment but you will only have to put up with it for a little while longer. Do continue the meds, it is easy to self prescribe, but the oncologist knows what he/she is doing.

As hard as this is for you, let's face it, you are lucky to have had the cancer diagosed relatively early and your chance of survival is pretty good it sounds like. I think we all see death when we hear the word cancer, but as a friends daughter, who is in med school puts it: almost everyone will develop some form of cancer in their lives and 70% or more will not surcome to it. Do you know who Herman Cain is? You probably do; he is a good example: live cancer and colon I think. Anyway he was given less than a 25% chance of survival and here he is, cancer free after 6 years.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times
Yes, to tell the truth I'm nothing but a big baby who feels sorry for herself and missses her mom, dad and husband. The first chemo was the worst because I didn't know what to expect, but the second one was just like the first: 24 hours of creakiness, two days after chemo. I'm hoping the next two will be the same, probably will, too.

If I survive this, and chances are I might, I have to budget for a CT scan every year and a colonoscopy every three years, the rest of my life. Does Medicare pay for these, does anybody know? I need to get the AARP supplemental insurace like mother had, I think.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Yes... to some family members, it's only brought a death sentence.
Sure there's always new treatments and all on the horizon but for some, it's too little too late, financially not attainable, or insurance considers it a, as I'm trying to think of the word... rrggh, guess closest I can come is "experimental" and so no, it's denied, then there's this 'no liklihood of receiving a transplant' due to age or whatever [dr's just deem it as "no go"]. So yeah.. I [like many others I'm sure] miss alot of my family members who have passed on because of that "C" word.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Medicare had no problem paying for my repeat colonoscopy as I had had precancerous polyps on the first one. When I retired from a large hospital, I asked the social worker on my unit what to do about Medicare. Her opinion was that if you had any chronic health issue, you should get regular Medicare with a supplement, not the Advantage type plans. I followed her advice and in 5 yrs have been pleased. After I meet the deductible early in the year, I pay no more (except for prescriptions and if generic, that's $5/mo/drug).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer