Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I wish I could find a good alternative to deodorant.
Anti-perspirants are the bad ones for a similar reason wearing a tight bra for too many hours would be, the tight bra restricts lymph flow which is where toxins removed from our tissues go, and anti-perspirants block the natural pathway of removal of such toxins via perspiration, so in our zeal of being "fashionable" and keeping good hygiene we can get carried away and hinder the natural functions of our body and there's always consequences for that.

For many years I've rarely used anti-perspirants at all, for a long time now I've been using milk of magnesia (I get an off-brand at a dollar store or Walmart), I add a few drops of an antibacterial essential oil (or a combination of 2 or more) like lavender, lemon, tea tree oil, peppermint, etc. I recently added a small amount of virgin coconut oil, which is also antibacterial and antifungal, and it works even better and can be used on any part of the body without causing irritation even right after shaving.

Last edited by TiredOfSFL; 05-31-2012 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
The main thing--aside from getting the correct size--is avoiding those bras with the metal stays in them. If I find a pretty bra with the stays, I remove the stays. I wear a soft cup, front opening, but pretty lace and no stays. And my correct size, if a bit larger. And lots of colors, with cotton panties which match in the French style.

I think that wearing garmets that hurt is prehistoric, and anti-women, anti-feminist, and not good for your body, or respectful of it. I think we do need bras, but bras which support us, not hurt is.

Painful bras, girdles, all that -- should be elminated by exercise and diet, so that packing it in with heavy fabric won't be necessary. Better to be healthy than confined. I know older professional women, when you hug them, feel hard all over---and not from exercise, but from their undergarmets. This, in my opinion, is a health problem.

In other words, this is a sociological issue, a politic issue and a feminist issue.
Good point about the underwire bras, when I worked as a temp at The Cancer Institute in W. Palm Beach, FL back in 1997 or 98 the subject came up and one of the secretaries told me that she knew of two of the doctors there told women to get rid of their underwire bras.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:44 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
It's not about "covering" the lymph nodes but restristing the flow,

Quote:
the number of hours is also a factor, in a study women who wore a bra 12 or more hours a day had a greater risk.

A study done by whom, and published where? Did you read all the way through the link? It addresses reduced flow of toxins.

The Myth of Bras and Breast Cancer - NYTimes.com

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times
Yes, the aluminum in anti-persperants is a problem, too. I stopped using these years ago and use a French cristal body stick, instead. I used to spray on the old fashioned stuff, and then used a cream, for years. Probably not very healthy.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
It's not about "covering" the lymph nodes but restristing the flow, and it's a well known fact that a large number of women wear the wrong bra size, usually too small for them; the number of hours is also a factor, in a study women who wore a bra 12 or more hours a day had a greater risk.

When my daughter entered into puberty she developed fibrocystic breast disease, luckily I'd just read that "old" book so I had her take her bra when she came home from school (a habit she continues to this day) and she stopped having breast pain and just by doing that slone her breasts became much better, so I don't care who considers it a myth, to me those people are very short-sighted, to me it's just common sense: restricted lymph flow = accumulation of toxins, period!
What? How do you arrive at that conclusion? That is beyond absurd. No... Do you understand the concept of constriction? When your extremities start to tingle? As in blood is not flowing like it should... Now, I don't see how a bra would do that. Poorly fitting or otherwise. That is the only way possible your statement would be anywhere near accurate. Meaning it isn't.

Common Fears With No Evidence: Antiperspirants and Bras

Quick medical lesson: The kidney's remove most of the toxins from the body. Not sweating.

Quote:
Good point about the underwire bras, when I worked as a temp at The Cancer Institute in W. Palm Beach, FL back in 1997 or 98 the subject came up and one of the secretaries told me that she knew of two of the doctors there told women to get rid of their underwire bras.
Wait, it has been repeatedly disproved. There was a study done. The kicker: It was so flawed that it didn't even receive a peer review. you really have to bungle a paper to receive that treatment. There is no evidence at all to support your claims. (again.)

Old 05-31-2012, 04:50 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,305 times
SD..ah, aren't you a male? How would you know how bras feel??

Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post

A study done by whom, and published where? Did you read all the way through the link? It addresses reduced flow of toxins.

The Myth of Bras and Breast Cancer - NYTimes.com
Hmm, I meant to write "restricting"...

I don't know what you mean by "all the way through the link", but if you meant going to the "Q&A" I didn't, in reality I'm not interested in seeing what they have to say about because it's NOT going to change my mind, to me it fits with the logic of how the human body works, besides, like I already mentioned it's something I've seen the benefit of with my own eyes. And the study was probably the one they refer to conducted by the researchers who wrote the book, and again, I don't care if it was not "peer reviewed, etc.", it just made sense to me and that's all that I need. For centuries humans have treated many diseases successfully without the excessive modern dependence on studies and tests, there was such a thing as common sense and general observation that was much valued even by most doctors of the previous generation, thank you. And if you ask me, I don't think we're really doing that much better, it's true people live longer now as compared to recent centuries, but we also have a lot of diseases inflicted by our environment and/or lifestyle for which doctors have no cure for so so much for science...

Old 05-31-2012, 07:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
So common sense was to bleed and cup sick people, no studies, everyone knew that worked. Interested in that treatment?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
So some will not use logic or use a flawed understanding of the human body and how it works. Totally dismiss science and refuse to listen to those who study the body and its workings. That sort of ignorance is beyond dangerous, and quite foolish. It also shreds any sort of credibility.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
So common sense was to bleed and cup sick people, no studies, everyone knew that worked. Interested in that treatment?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Haha, very funny. Well, it actually did work on some people, because in cases on infection lowering the iron also helped kill the microbes that thrive on it.

I didn't live back in those days so I'm thinking more of when I was little and doctors actually cured more people than today, they were also not afraid to recommend vitamins and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer