Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,305 times

Advertisements

In the "Bra and Breast Cancer Study" in the United States, it was

discovered that women with breast cancer had a history of sporting

tighter and longer bra-wearing than did the women who had not (yet)

developed the disease. In fact, virtually all of the cancer group

wore bras over 12 hours daily with 18% even sleeping with their bras

which means they wore bras 24 hours daily. In contrast, the comparison

groups had 25% of the women either bra-free or wearing bras less

than 12 hours daily. Only 3% of this group slept with their bras

on. This study revealed a significant link between bras and breast

cancer that is three times greater than the link between cigarette

smoking and lung cancer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfSFL View Post
Haha, very funny. Well, it actually did work on some people, because in cases on infection lowering the iron also helped kill the microbes that thrive on it.

I didn't live back in those days so I'm thinking more of when I was little and doctors actually cured more people than today, they were also not afraid to recommend vitamins and such.
It is what killed George Washington. Really? It doesn't work that way. It was often a miserable way to kill someone or to make them weaker, prolonging recovery. They didn't have a clue, it was trial and error. So I am glad that medicine has moved beyond draining people of blood.

Quote:
Logic? Actually, I don't call your kind of thinking logical at all, so it's a matter of opinion. Your post just shows a black or white type of thinking, that's all. No one here is dismissing science, some of us just don't depend on it for every single judgement in our lives. For example, I believe in God, whose existence cannot be proved by science, but you and all the scientists in the world could not convince me or the many million believers that He's not real just because man's science can't prove it.

I detect a need for you and others like you to show their superiority by posting in a derogatory manner, but hey, I can see through all that, so Hon, let me stick to my kind of ignorance and foolishness and you stick to yours.

As for credibility, thank goodness there's plenty of people who read these posts who have the ability to "think outside the box" and won't be one bit affected by your arrogant criticism.
Never ever, ever call me "hon." You talk of derogatory, you calling me "hon" meets that test.

No, it isn't black and white thinking. It is about asking questions. It is about proving what we know. It is about repeating the results. It is about learning, to understand how things work.

So you dismiss the results and conclusions of science, which faces the tests, which are proven time and again. I am not the only with the criticism. You’re calling me arrogant? Hardly, it is about substantiating your claims. Which of all the posts you've made in the cancer section, you have failed each time.

I take great issue with bad information here. You are welcome to believe whatever drivel you want. When bad information is given here, I will rip that bad information apart.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Good point about the underwire bras, when I worked as a temp at The Cancer Institute in W. Palm Beach, FL back in 1997 or 98 the subject came up and one of the secretaries told me that she knew of two of the doctors there told women to get rid of their underwire bras.

Second hand information is often wrong. My oncologists (one at Dana-Farber, one of the top 3 cancer institutions in the WORLD, the other at a DF affiliate hospital who is the chief of oncology and has multiple degrees from Harvard) have told me that's absolute bull. If you're wearing a properly sized bra, there are no problems.

I say that as someone who is DD and would have to check to even see if I'm wearing my underwire - a properly fitting bra doesn't hurt. It CERTAINLY doesn't leave red marks. And bras should be replaced every 6 months (if you're busty) to a year, never worn for more than 1 day in a row, and always line dried or else it quickly becomes ill-fitting.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:42 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,175,334 times
Damn, I have always hated bras...it's about time others have caught on. And the men's opinions here don't count, lol...They have no ideas how miserably uncomfortable wearing a bra is.

Just to add some insights, though:

Connection between fibrocystic breast disease, breast cancer, and bras

Bra Free - Bras and Breast Cancer

Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Damn, I have always hated bras...it's about time others have caught on. And the men's opinions here don't count, lol...They have no ideas how miserably uncomfortable wearing a bra is.

Just to add some insights, though:

Connection between fibrocystic breast disease, breast cancer, and bras

Bra Free - Bras and Breast Cancer
Oh my, did you not read above that this is "bad information" according to the self-appointed experts in this forum? However, I'm glad to see yet another person who is NOT blind!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Cool Just the facts ma'am

It is not about me. It is about what those smart that me have studies and researched. It is about making sure those who face cancer have the facts. Not some silly unproven theory. As much as you are trying to make this personal, it isn't.

I do take the time to look at claims. How foolish to dismiss studies, peer reviewed findings and other data that makes strides to treat a disease, which is becoming more treatable and curable. So, when the time comes for the other views to provide any evidence, they can't or won't.

Nope, you chose to take a different path, that has been shown to not work. Then you like to attack me.
Quote:
Oh my, did you not read above that this is "bad information" according to the self-appointed experts in this forum? However, I'm glad to see yet another person who is NOT blind!
Again, enough with the attacks. It shows what kind of person you really are. Also, clearly you are clueless as to my background or by what means I have aquired knowledge. Again, your claims of me being a self proclaimed expert are also off base. Frankly it is insulting to those who have had cancer, who have been treated for cancer and for those who have survived cancer.

Again, time and again, there is no solid evidence showing a link between wearing bras and cancer.

On another note, having discussed this thread, my wife finds wearing a bra all the time to be more comfortable.

Furthermore, uncomfotable does not equal unhealthy.

Last edited by SD4020; 06-01-2012 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted psot.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Take soy. When you read PubMed studies (you have done that, right?) on soy and breast cancer, you see studies that strongly say that soy both causes breast cancer and helps prevent breast cancer. While I don't think anyone is saying that bras prevent breast cancer, you see the same inconclusive data when you look at a wide range of studies.

If you actually look at one of the (incredibly biased with no studies listed) sites above, you will see that they even state "Those same manufacturers say that 80% of women wear bras that are too tight. But women choose bras that are tight because they think their breasts need 'support.' "

I could agree that people who wear bras too tightly are causing problems. As a woman, it makes me angry when people believe that bras are uncomfortable - if they're uncomfortable YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. FIX IT. I am a 24 year old woman who is a survivor of Stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma with some of my bulkiest tumors in my armpit. During treatment, I spent hours EACH DAY reading studies because there is a higher risk for breast cancer and melanoma for young adult lymphoma survivors.

Self-appointed expert? Absolutely. Better than stating that I temped 15 years ago in an unknown hospital and heard second hand what the doctors said. SD and I are cancer survivors who take it upon ourselves to be as informed about the disease as possible. Now tell me, how long have you been in remission? How many oncology conferences have you been to? Or presented at? What is your healthcare educational background? (10 months, 5, 1, MBA in healthcare management with plans to go on to an MPH and eventually a PhD in health geography, focusing on young adult cancer)

Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
Quote:

I don't know what you mean by "all the way through the link", but if you meant going to the "Q&A" I didn't, in reality I'm not interested in seeing what they have to say about because it's NOT going to change my mind,

If you only read things that you know in advance will agree with your viewpoint, then you can never really learn anything new, can you?

Old 06-02-2012, 11:49 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,607,140 times
My wife does not own a bra and she is as firm as she was when I met her 20 years ago.
Bras make the breast give up it's natural support, the tissues just give up.
Think about having your arm or leg in a cast for months and apon removal how limp and useless the limb became.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:33 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky04 View Post
In the "Bra and Breast Cancer Study" in the United States, it was

discovered that women with breast cancer had a history of sporting

tighter and longer bra-wearing than did the women who had not (yet)

developed the disease. In fact, virtually all of the cancer group

wore bras over 12 hours daily with 18% even sleeping with their bras

which means they wore bras 24 hours daily. In contrast, the comparison

groups had 25% of the women either bra-free or wearing bras less

than 12 hours daily. Only 3% of this group slept with their bras

on. This study revealed a significant link between bras and breast

cancer that is three times greater than the link between cigarette

smoking and lung cancer!
Amen! +1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Second hand information is often wrong. My oncologists (one at Dana-Farber, one of the top 3 cancer institutions in the WORLD, the other at a DF affiliate hospital who is the chief of oncology and has multiple degrees from Harvard) have told me that's absolute bull. If you're wearing a properly sized bra, there are no problems.

I say that as someone who is DD and would have to check to even see if I'm wearing my underwire - a properly fitting bra doesn't hurt. It CERTAINLY doesn't leave red marks. And bras should be replaced every 6 months (if you're busty) to a year, never worn for more than 1 day in a row, and always line dried or else it quickly becomes ill-fitting.
+1 to you also. THEY SHOULDNT HURT. If its tight in the dressing room, dont buy it. It should feel like its part of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My wife does not own a bra and she is as firm as she was when I met her 20 years ago.
Bras make the breast give up it's natural support, the tissues just give up.
Think about having your arm or leg in a cast for months and apon removal how limp and useless the limb became.
I am willing to bet your wife isnt a high C-DD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer