Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times

Advertisements

>> I guess the point is for someone facing possible premature and un-wanted demise - it is better to believe than not- even if belief is delusional..

I don't agree with that, at all. Everyone gets to make their own choice, but I'd rather stick with what I think is true, rather than adopt some delusional belief. I don't think it's intellectually respectable.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm not going to say something dishonest, just to bring comfort to someone. What sort of a comfort can be based on a lie? A lie is always wrong. You (as a Christian?) are telling me to lie, in order to provide comfort to someone? That doesn't make sense.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I'm not going to say something dishonest, just to bring comfort to someone. What sort of a comfort can be based on a lie? A lie is always wrong. You (as a Christian?) are telling me to lie, in order to provide comfort to someone? That doesn't make sense.
No on multiple accounts.

Not a Christian.

Not telling you to be dishonest.

Not telling you to lie.

Just pointing out that you wouldn't compromise your beliefs based on the beliefs of the person you are providing comfort towards - so you shouldn't expect them to compromise either.

Don't expect them to be dishonest to themselves anymore than you would be to yourself.

Recognize that to them religion is a truth and to go against it is the lie - asking them to go against their beliefs would be them lying about their truth ....... just like you going against your beliefs offering prayers would be lying about your truth

Recognize that the fact they are there by your side means 100x more than any words they may state

Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM

This is way besides the point; all I'm asking is that people recognize that there are people who are not religious and not to impose their beliefs on these not-religious people. Don't write me with your nonsense, in other words. It's not appropriate, welcome, useful or even polite.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
>> I guess the point is for someone facing possible premature and un-wanted demise - it is better to believe than not- even if belief is delusional..

I don't agree with that, at all. Everyone gets to make their own choice, but I'd rather stick with what I think is true, rather than adopt some delusional belief. I don't think it's intellectually respectable.

I don't believe in that either - you don't need some higher belief to get through a tough time ..... there is power in belief, in spirit, yes

But that belief and spirit doesn't have to be tied to some religious faction

There are many other things that can drive belief, spirit and willingness to fight & heal that have nothing to do with religion ..... in fact, if you believe that this is all that you have and that there is nothing else waiting for you you may even fight a bit harder to hang onto it as opposed to being accepting of some believed promise

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
This is way besides the point; all I'm asking is that people recognize that there are people who are not religious and not to impose their beliefs on these not-religious people. Don't write me with your nonsense, in other words. It's not appropriate, welcome, useful or even polite.
And you fail to realize that you are imposing your beliefs on them by dictating on how they can help

Sure, you can be supportive but don't you dare mention any gods around me even if that's what you believe .... you must kowtow to what I believe if you are going to be in my space

It's a very intolerant viewpoint from a person who associates with a group that has to deal with a good amount of intolerance

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM

I've said all I need to say about this.

<<unsubscribe>>

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,912,139 times
Mvintar,
I totally understand your point. I know what you are stating.
The problem is people don't respect each other's belief system, or non belief
system in this case.
That is just the way it is.
Between you and I, I got soooo mad when a friend sent me a religious Christmas
card last year. I opened it, and I was livid!
Then I took deep breaths, calmed down, and threw it away.
That is how I handle it. Plain and simple, it isn't worth me getting
upset over.
I hope you feel better and get well as quick as possible.
I enjoyed your post.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Mvintar,
I totally understand your point. I know what you are stating.
The problem is people don't respect each other's belief system, or non belief
system in this case.
That is just the way it is.
Between you and I, I got soooo mad when a friend sent me a religious Christmas
card last year. I opened it, and I was livid!
Then I took deep breaths, calmed down, and threw it away.
That is how I handle it. Plain and simple, it isn't worth me getting
upset over.
I hope you feel better and get well as quick as possible.
I enjoyed your post.
How do you respect someone's belief system when you don't even know what it is? She doesn't have Atheist written under her name. Is everyone to walk around on eggshells about whether they are being religiously correct? Why not just accept that someone was being graceful in the way they know how and move on? Why does it have to end up with all the drama?

Last edited by Beth56; 06-21-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM

exactly - doesn't have to be some drama show

tolerance and respect works both ways

how is it respectful to your friends to get upset that they sent you a christmas card that reflected their beliefs on a holiday that has a very strong meaning to religious people ..... respect that, respect your friends and respect where they are coming from

really getting upset that someone took the time to think of you during the holidays? - to the point where you stomp around and throw out their card?

would it be reasonable if they received your card that had no religious tones to it and if they became offended that you didn't recognize what they believe to be the meaning of the holiday or that you didn't respect that they are very religious by not sending them a religious card? - of course not

both reactions would be childish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer