Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
You still don't seem to be getting the notion of anecdotal evidence; a group as small as your immediate circle is not large enough to deduce any useful data. Read The China Study and then get back to me. Or John Robbins' book Healthy at 100, which I am reading now and which discusses The China Study at length. If you don't look at the evidence for plant-based diets, you cannot understand or follow the discussion.
I can understand it, but I also have my own views. Any study, any book can be done to prove a point. I think it is great you have found a diet that you think will help your recovery, at least your physical recovery..I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply giving my side of the story; I know so many people who eat what they want and do not have cancer; recurring or otherwise. The issue here is not so much who is right and who is wrong, because there is no right and wrong, the issue is one person telling others, because they have read a book and believe it, the rest of us must be wrong...

BTW, I happen to eat very little meat, but I am not a vegetarian and certainly not a vegan. I could tell you, my experience as a dietician (before retirement) makes me doubt this theory and how it relates to cancer, but I will not do that. I feel everyone has to make up his/her own mind. I don't happen to think a vegan diet is healthy, but that is just my opinion...Does this make any sense to you or do you still insist I am wrong.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Call me crazy but I fail to see how this relates to "fear of cancer returning."

For the first year following my diagnosis and treatment for colon cancer, (surgery and chemo), I fretted about the fact that it could recur. My come-to-Jesus-moment occurred in the middle of a sleepless night when I realized that whether I fretted or not, it could recur and it was up to me to decide what I wanted to do about the possibility. I decided that if or when the cancer returned, I would deal with it the same way I dealt with the first go-round.

As far as eating, I eat the way I always did. If I had been diagnosed when I was a young chick, I might have approached the rest of my life a little differently, but at my age (77 next week) there isn't as much ahead of me as behind me, so I plan to enjoy it as much as possible. Everything in moderation.

I don't post for pity. I don't post for reassurance. If someone with a legitimate concern steps forward for help, I'll do what I can. As for me, I've made it this far by relying on myself, (Pres. Obama's contention notwithstanding) and I also have learned how to look beyond the facade for the underlying intent.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
I was the healthiest person I knew, didn't stop me from getting cancer. I no longer diet. The only exercise I do is fun stuff. Life is too short to pass up chocolate.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I was the healthiest person I knew, didn't stop me from getting cancer. I no longer diet. The only exercise I do is fun stuff. Life is too short to pass up chocolate.
Exactly. Last time I checked and check frequently... No one leaves the world alive. Sometimes things like cancer can't be avoided. No matter what you do.

There is no way I am going to pass up seafood, or a thick steak or bacon, or wash it down with wine or beer.

Yup... My body is not a temple it is an amusement park. Do I drink every day? Hardly maybe 3 times a year. Red meat? Maybe once a week.

So, leading up to my cancer... I was an infrequent drinker, non smoker which are two major risk factors for cancer. Same thing for my sister, she is a fitness instructor and drank even less then me. Here is the shocker, she was diagnosed with cancer. She is once again healthy and just as active as before. While you try to avoid this disease your body doesn't always agree.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am glad you have adjusted to different eating habits, but many cancer survivors still enjoy eating the way they did proir to cancer and have had no ill effects. I have cervical cancer at 24 years old. I am not 75 and never changed my eating one bit...At the age many of us are getting cancer is a common word, used frequently in all conversations, I know very few who have chosen to change their diet. Those who have and those who have not, seem to have the same rate of recurring versus surviving cancer. In my one bridge group alone, there are 8 players, 4 who have had breast cancer and me. One does eat a relatively low carb diet because her husband is diabetic, but the rest have not alterned their diet at all except maybe added more berries and a few other foods that seem to help fight cancer. Of course there is still not proof any of this works, not any guanantee we will not have a recurring cancer.

I am still glad you feel your diet is helping, whatever we feel, real or not, is the important thing.

As for fearing the return of the cancer, remember there are all kinds of cancers and we all worry about the big C, whether we are cancer survivors or not. The facts are, a good number or us will deal with cancer and we also know we can't live forever. If we are lucky enough to reach our 80s or 90s, and we do not have another cancer bout we will develop heart trouble, or have a stroke, whatever. We just buried my step mom Sat. She was a cancer survivor (30 years about) had survived 2 strokes about 20 years ago and bypass in 1990. What did she surcome to: in short, at almost 95 she was tired of living. and yes, she always worried about her cancer returning. She worried so much she would not use a cell phone or microwave.

so sorry about the loss of your step-mom. 95 years old though-wow--amazing.
For what it's worth.........I always appreciate your helpful posts even if they aren't directed TO me.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Call me crazy but I fail to see how this relates to "fear of cancer returning."

For the first year following my diagnosis and treatment for colon cancer, (surgery and chemo), I fretted about the fact that it could recur. My come-to-Jesus-moment occurred in the middle of a sleepless night when I realized that whether I fretted or not, it could recur and it was up to me to decide what I wanted to do about the possibility. I decided that if or when the cancer returned, I would deal with it the same way I dealt with the first go-round.

As far as eating, I eat the way I always did. If I had been diagnosed when I was a young chick, I might have approached the rest of my life a little differently, but at my age (77 next week) there isn't as much ahead of me as behind me, so I plan to enjoy it as much as possible. Everything in moderation.

I don't post for pity. I don't post for reassurance. If someone with a legitimate concern steps forward for help, I'll do what I can. As for me, I've made it this far by relying on myself, (Pres. Obama's contention notwithstanding) and I also have learned how to look beyond the facade for the underlying intent.
I just hope we can all continue feeling the way you do. There are no guarantees in life, we need to enjoy ourselves as much as possible and take it one day at a time.

Nita

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Or cheesecake. Or cannoli. Or whatever. I do what has to be done - take a bath, fix the coffeepot for tomorrow, cut the grass so the neighbors don't turn me in. I go to the grocery store and I buy what I want. (I'm a demon for BOGO 8 o'clock coffee and Cottonelle on sale when I have a coupon) I eat meat, red or white, in moderation. I like fish. I adore bacon and dread the coming Aporkalypse. I eat my share of veggies and fruit. I drink whole milk. I try to walk at least 20 minutes a day. I babysit my younger grandkids when they have a day off school and we have tea parties and dress-up.

I'm waiting for a chance to audition for another play. It's been a while since there has been something I'd be willing to spend every night rehearsing for and every day learning the lines. (At my age, I don't have to sleep with the director ) If it comes, I'll be happy but if not, I can find other things to occupy my time. Reading, puzzles, crocheting, walking. Oh, yeah, laundry when I run out of underwear.

There are two things I don't do. I don't feel sorry for myself and I don't live in fear.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Or cheesecake. Or cannoli. Or whatever. I do what has to be done - take a bath, fix the coffeepot for tomorrow, cut the grass so the neighbors don't turn me in. I go to the grocery store and I buy what I want. (I'm a demon for BOGO 8 o'clock coffee and Cottonelle on sale when I have a coupon) I eat meat, red or white, in moderation. I like fish. I adore bacon and dread the coming Aporkalypse. I eat my share of veggies and fruit. I drink whole milk. I try to walk at least 20 minutes a day. I babysit my younger grandkids when they have a day off school and we have tea parties and dress-up.

I'm waiting for a chance to audition for another play. It's been a while since there has been something I'd be willing to spend every night rehearsing for and every day learning the lines. (At my age, I don't have to sleep with the director ) If it comes, I'll be happy but if not, I can find other things to occupy my time. Reading, puzzles, crocheting, walking. Oh, yeah, laundry when I run out of underwear.

There are two things I don't do. I don't feel sorry for myself and I don't live in fear.
Yes, yes yes, EXACTLY!

Spend life LIVING, not dreading dying.

I have an Aunt with Lupus.
I have an Aunt dying (any day now) from MS.
My Mom died last July from Parkinsons.
My Dad died from complications from diabetes, plus he had heart issues.
From my perspective, there just isn't anything special about cancer. Plenty of other diseases make life miserable and end in death.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Yes, yes yes, EXACTLY!

Spend life LIVING, not dreading dying.

I have an Aunt with Lupus.
I have an Aunt dying (any day now) from MS.
My Mom died last July from Parkinsons.
My Dad died from complications from diabetes, plus he had heart issues.
From my perspective, there just isn't anything special about cancer. Plenty of other diseases make life miserable and end in death.

I never thought about the Big C in such a way---what a very healthy perspective! Thank you.........

Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM

-chele said - "there just isn't anything special about cancer". -

I may have to cross stitch that phrase on a sampler!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer