Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Some days you are the pigeons some days you're the statue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,072,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
..... I just live every day as if it could be my last. I advise you to do the same. I don't want to give cancer any more of my time than I have to.
This makes terrific sense. That's the attitude I took when I tried to recover from cancer and the effects of radiation and chemo. Even folks who have never had cancer don't get guarantees as to the length of their life.

Hang in there, mvintar... don't give cancer any more of a hold on you than it already had. You take one day at a time and act like that's the last day of your life. Appreciate the small things. Bask in the comfort you get from listening to your cats purr.

SD4020 is right. Some days we're the statue but those other days - when we're the pigeon - watch out world!

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Cancer sobered me up to the notion that yes, I could die. While there are those who wish I would, I refuse to live in fear. When it is my time, it is my time.

It is nice that the cancer in in the past, nothing but a memory. Just a footnote in my life. It is something a make jokes about, it is something that will not get any respect.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Cancer sobered me up to the notion that yes, I could die. While there are those who wish I would, I refuse to live in fear. When it is my time, it is my time.

It is nice that the cancer in in the past, nothing but a memory. Just a footnote in my life. It is something a make jokes about, it is something that will not get any respect.
My husband, as most of you know has just finished 4 months of radiation, 5 days a week, for 2 different, unrelated cancers. They just happen to have been found about the same time. He knows he will never be 100%what he was. He gets tied easier and doesn't have the strength he once did. He also is a little more forgetful (of course part of that is age and part is needing a hearing aide) but most is cancer related. As for me, luckily it has been 50 years so I rarely even think about the cancer days. We just accept we will do the best with our lives, we try to do a lot of volunteer work and we accept that life will go on, with or without us.

Nita

Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My husband, as most of you know has just finished 4 months of radiation, 5 days a week, for 2 different, unrelated cancers. They just happen to have been found about the same time. He knows he will never be 100%what he was. He gets tied easier and doesn't have the strength he once did. He also is a little more forgetful (of course part of that is age and part is needing a hearing aide) but most is cancer related. As for me, luckily it has been 50 years so I rarely even think about the cancer days. We just accept we will do the best with our lives, we try to do a lot of volunteer work and we accept that life will go on, with or without us.

Nita
Yup. Feeling sorry about myself and worry about it doesn't do a damn bit a good. If someone isn't willing to accept that fact or learn to cope, there isn't much more I or anyone else and do to help them.

While you can read the "China Syndrome" all you want, it isn't going to offer you any solutions. Neither will starting thread after thread with the same recurring theme. I know I will never be the same as I was before cancer.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times
I think sometimes people forget when they interact with me that I also have MS, and it's actually not always easy to determine if my difficulties are because of the chemo, the MS, or my age (62). It's really overwhelming sometimes, but I'm feeling much better than when I originally posted my concerns. Business has picked up and I've got lots of new, good students, including theory tutoring which is a lot of fun. My books are selling, I have friends who call me -- though my friends are all in other states or other countries. Skype is marvelous. I also bought a lot of new clothes, makeup and scent, had my hair done, facial, mani/pedi. I highly recommend this, especially, I think, post-chemo. I feel great.

Somebody said something about "you reap what you sew." It's sow! And agnostic, is a-g-n-o-s-t-i-c. I must confess, I have a real, inate prejudice against indifference to langugage. I think appreciation and respect for language is concomitant to intelligence; if you can't write well, you probably can't think well. Right or wrong, people are judged by their use of language. Experience has fortified this prejudice, if you will. I just have a hard time taking people seriously who can't spell, use poor grammar, etc. It's a failing on my part, no doubt.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Although I agree with you about irritating words, I think the digital age is to blame. We get so used to using spell-checker that we forget to actually look at what we typed. Sow and sew are both "good" words to spell-checkers. Then the smart phones did further damage: u, LOL, BRB, etc. It's creeping into computer use when space is not a problem.

Sorry to go off topic, back to thread topic!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,041,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
if you can't write well, you probably can't think well. Right or wrong, people are judged by their use of language.
Let us also remember that there are dyslexics and dysgraphics out here who think extremely well, perhaps better than the average population, who just have difficulty putting the write words into the write order. (Yes, I know it should be "right" )

Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Although I agree with you about irritating words, I think the digital age is to blame. We get so used to using spell-checker that we forget to actually look at what we typed. Sow and sew are both "good" words to spell-checkers. Then the smart phones did further damage: u, LOL, BRB, etc. It's creeping into computer use when space is not a problem.

Sorry to go off topic, back to thread topic!
Along those same lines... Expose a weakness and others are more than willing to exploit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Let us also remember that there are dyslexics and dysgraphics out here who think extremely well, perhaps better than the average population, who just have difficulty putting the write words into the write order. (Yes, I know it should be "right" )
Yup. Some of us, despite our best efforts, manage to butcher the english language. It is the second most difficult language to learn.

Poor grammar is not always a measure of intelligence.

And, I will leave this post with this thought: when I was sick, I didn't want to be treated any differently because I had cancer. If I were become ill again, I would have that same expectation. As long as I have access to whatever within reason and an ability to be functional I would be on it. While I might talk about, it would not be for sympathy. It anything it would be a means of paying it forward, nothing more than that.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Thanks so much: I am dyslexic and I managed to graduate from college. I am also, thought, my many to be pretty intelligent, and I have learned to laugh off my many spelling errors. it is a joke among my family and many of my friends. The one thing I will never do, is read aloud for any reason...Not only do I not read well, I twist words around, I substitute words that are not even there and I mispronounce words, but I have gotten by pretty well including, believe it or not, writing a weekly column for our newspaper in No CA for 5 years. Of course, I wrote the column and my husband, a jounelism major, did the proofing. The same with all the times I have been publicity chairperson for organizations, I write, he proofs and all goes well. :think

Now that I have mentioned all this, I really think the poster who brought the subject of spelling up, is totally off base, what does that have to do with fear of cancer returning. I, for one, will not get back on track....

Last edited by nmnita; 10-05-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer