Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 PM

915 posts, read 2,128,420 times

Advertisements

I'm actually *on* a symphony tour, actually it's country music, on a tablet and could not remember my login pw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM

I'm not using both of them, just the new one. I won't have access to the older one, since my lap died and I'm on a tablet. The old lap had the pw come up automatically, and it's gone forever. That *is* allowed, I would assume.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.e.bradshaw View Post
>> You seem to want the services to be handed to you on a silver platter.

That's rather an unkind response. Is it really necessary to make a remark like that? You're just being snippy because you resent my lack of religious belief.

You also entirely missed, up thread, how I posted that I did go to the psych counseling, and how we ended up talking about *her* problems. I know the support group is religious in nature, as one of the two leaders is the wig lady. I think she should have asked me if I was a Christian before going into a trance and praying for me so violently; she did this without warning, in my home, and it frightened me.

You also missed the whole point of my post, which is that some cancer centers offer these services, and I was expecting more of these kinds of things, and was surprised (and disappointed) when they were not offered.
I am sorry for being unkind.

I have no opinion about your religious beliefs at all.

Maybe I misunderstood. Is there only one psychologist available, or could you ask for someone else? You said, "psych appointments with graduate students".

You seem to be in a small community. Are you going to a "cancer center" or just a surgeon who treats cancer?

Is there a larger city somewhere nearby that might have the services you want? You did mention that you are not having any financial problems. Is travel an issue?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
I'm not in a position to change doctors or oncologists. Our cancer center doesn't have any alternative treatments, aside from the ones I mentioned: one eccentric yoga teacher, psych appointments with graduate students, and through my surgeon's office, a once a month support group that meets at a church, which would entail, no doubt, a lot of praying, which contradicts my core beliefs.

What our cancer center here doesn't have--which the program on tv showed at another cancer center--is yoga, meditation, acupuncture, message. We had a class where makeup was given out for free--probably tested on animals. And a free wig program run by a woman who prays for you in an hysterical voice (rather frightening); she told me she'd come and see me, for certain, never did, but sent me money in the mail, which was kind of insulting, given that I have more money than she does.

So it's not a matter of, my type of cancer didn't require any non-traditional follow-up. There just isn't any. For anyone. There was one yoga school in the whole town, and it went bankrupt.
I think you are putting too much into something you saw on TV: it is like believing every study you read about. Anyone can do a study and print it. Most are based on what a person wants us to believe. I am sorry the only yoga class went belly up, but yoga has little or nothing to do with cancer follow up...

Old 10-19-2012, 07:05 PM

No, I really expected more--before I saw the tv program. I expected dietary and exercise recommendations, is what I sort of assumed it would be. I was surprised that there were none.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:18 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
I'm actually *on* a symphony tour, actually it's country music, on a tablet and could not remember my login pw.
If you enter the wrong password, a screen comes up with a link to reset it. You do not have to create a new user ID and lose your original profile.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:48 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
I wonder if I'm alone in this: I recently had surgery for cancer, and I think the surgery was probably brilliant, and worked, and the chemo afterwards was probably called for, though it really did some damage to my immune system. But I was disappointed to find out that there was no follow-up care whatsoever, aside from periodic doctor's visits: no recommendations, in other words, for diet, exercise, emotional support.

Is this normal? Or is it that I'm just in some little backwoods community (backwards, as well), which does not offer the full compliment of support which is offered elsewhere?
I agree with those that say it really depends on the cancer. If you had a small skin cancer that was caught really early; you may not need much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
The OP should have called CANCER TREATMENT CENTERS OF AMERICA , though if you are on Medicare, they won't take you.....LOL. I was told that Medicare could not provide enough reimbursement to pay for all their services and I guess, from their ads I hear or see 3-4 times a day, they offer all that the OP would have wanted.
I'll try to get back later to post more on this. I've read their financial page; it's pretty straight forward that you may have a large "co-pay". Let me also say each CTCA is different; some do have a better reputation.

The post below is from when this section was 1st started about one members brother going to one. He was accepted by one; was given false hope. At some point; he was in a car accident where they did a scan & found his lungs were being eaten by cancer. This was a surprise to the family because he was never told that it was in his lungs.

His original surgeon screwed up a biopsy.

How aggressive can some cancers be

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
This is an update I received in March, he is being treated at Cancer Treatment centers... ( my lord..do they lie to get you to keep coming or what)

Posted Mar 16, 2010 1:15pm
i know it's been awile since my last post, SORRY. However I now
have news to pass along. The doctor for the first time said
"Clinical Remission" ta-da. he also said if there is any cancer in
me they can't see it. However I will need to finish the radiation
therapy and they changed my chemo to 5FU. The oxoliplatin was
causing nueopathy in my hands and feet so they had to stop it and
switch to 5FU, nasty stuff

Then he was in a car accident...collapsed a lung and local hospital did not like what they saw on cat scan so back to Tulsa he goes and I get this update:

May 4th,2010
Posted 17 hours ago
Well so much for the remission, the cancer is in the lungs and
they can't do anything till he's doing better. He's lost alot of
weight down to 132lbs VERY weak, WON'T eat, and vomiting when he
does. He's on some strong pain meds and is "out of it" most of the
day. His blood pressure is low and his hemoglobin counts are low so
they gave him 2 units of blood. We will leave tomorrow mornning for
home. He will be coming back in 3 weeks
Quote:
I'm not in a position to change doctors or oncologists. Our cancer center doesn't have any alternative treatments, aside from the ones I mentioned: one eccentric yoga teacher, psych appointments with graduate students, and through my surgeon's office, a once a month support group that meets at a church, which would entail, no doubt, a lot of praying, which contradicts my core beliefs.

What our cancer center here doesn't have--which the program on tv showed at another cancer center--is yoga, meditation, acupuncture, message. We had a class where makeup was given out for free--probably tested on animals. And a free wig program run by a woman who prays for you in an hysterical voice (rather frightening); she told me she'd come and see me, for certain, never did, but sent me money in the mail, which was kind of insulting, given that I have more money than she does.

So it's not a matter of, my type of cancer didn't require any non-traditional follow-up. There just isn't any. For anyone. There was one yoga school in the whole town, and it went bankrupt.
As for the phone number sheet you got; perhaps you can let them know how worthless it was & why?
Maybe your journey is to change the way the care is by you?

Cancer tips - how to get help.. I need to update it; there are more places to get help these days since I originally put the post together.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:06 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
The OP should have called CANCER TREATMENT CENTERS OF AMERICA , though if you are on Medicare, they won't take you.....LOL. I was told that Medicare could not provide enough reimbursement to pay for all their services and I guess, from their ads I hear or see 3-4 times a day, they offer all that the OP would have wanted.
I decided to look for the info now. I posted this elsewhere; it refers to the post above-

Someone who was treated at one; said they're pretty straight forward in the beginning.

I've heard the same thing about a deposit; which I think may depend on what insurance you have to start off with. Someone I know's brother went to one in Colorado & had to put up $25,000 from what I remember & in the end; his original doctors were right; there was no hope; and it turns out he was lied to about his cancer. He ended up being in a car accident; they did scans & found his cancer had actually spread unlike what he was told at CTCA.

CTCA financial support
They do have financial support

Financial Hardship Program to help patients who experience financial difficulty while undergoing treatment. Should you qualify for this program, we will set up a payment plan based on your needs. This can help you meet your financial responsibilities for medical services at CTCA.

If patients qualify for the program, we customize a plan for them based on their ability to pay for care. For example, eligible patients who qualify may be allowed to make smaller payments over an extended period of time.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:44 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,836 times
I honestly do believe that a more holistic approach would be wonderful and probably save or at least extend lives. Most hospitals, clinics, doctors, are pretty cut and dried with thier hlep. They do not want or expect to hold your hand once they have done thier job.

However, I recently read a piece regarding a cardiologist in Sarasota, Fl, I think. He was finding that his patients were not responding well after heart attacks, heart surgeries, etc, and a lot of it was weight related. He decided he was going to have to get more involved rather than just telling them to go home and lose weight. According to the article (not an ad) results have been good and is a recommendation for more holistic care in other disciplines. But, it ain't going to happen because this is not a "normal" doctor....LOL. I mentioned this article to my regular doctor and he looked at me like I had just sprouted a third eye......

to the OP, ask around to other cancer patients what they have sought out in the way of care in your area. Check out a larger town, if you can. Don't whine, take control and that will go a long way in helping your mood/attitude. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you enter the wrong password, a screen comes up with a link to reset it. You do not have to create a new user ID and lose your original profile.
I'm not sure why it didn't work. I was sitting backstage in a venue which seats about 20,000 people. And I don't think my tablet allows popups. At any rate, I'm back home and it's straightened out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer