Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:26 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
What do you all think?
I think you made the right decision. It's better that he hears this from you in person than from a relative who doesn't necessarily know what's going on, which would cause more stress....which neither you nor he need right now. All the best to you during your treatment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think you made the right decision. It's better that he hears this from you in person than from a relative who doesn't necessarily know what's going on, which would cause more stress....which neither you nor he need right now. All the best to you during your treatment!
Thank you for the support. Tried repping ya but have to spread it around. My dad and I are very close but unfortunately live far apart. When I had my breast cancer the first time, I told him after the surgery which was fairly quick after the diagnosis. He was very upset and this was 15 years ago. Can't imagine how he will take this bit of news.

At least I can tell him that I sought medical attention at the first sign so it isn't as bad as it could be. He thinks I ignore doctors like my mom did. She was in her 20s and was in denial. It wasn't until she was in terrible pain that she went. Radical mastectomy in the 1960's wasn't pretty. Cancer never killed her although it came back in the other breast in her 40s. A pulmonary embolism after recovering from a car accident. Tragic.

I'm sitting here cooking and having a glass of wine. At least the bad metallic taste hasn't hit me yet or the puke monster. Enjoying it while I can, lol.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:55 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,370 times
@ siggy ~~~~ I think waiting until the right time to tell your dad or anyone is perfectly ok. So sorry that it will probably upset him, but he is a father and he'll definitely care deeply and his love for you will deepen with each word you tell him.

Take care of yourself and know that many of us have to drink a bit of wine to build our spirits. I'll be thinking of you!

Old 03-21-2014, 04:55 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
siggy, sorry for this turn of events. I'm from the school of thought that says there is nothing to be gained on either part by sharing bad news until absolutely necessary.

I think you can wait until your Dad returns from his trip. Meantime, good thoughts coming your way. Hang in there.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:44 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,045 times
Siggy, I'm sorry you have cancer again. As for telling your Dad, I think you are right to wait. My Mom was ill, and died never knowing I was stage IV. I was afraid telling her would kill her.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Facing ones own death is a major traumatic event in anyone's life. I think it is important for the cancer patients well being to talk someone about it, not necessarily everyone. Perhaps the man the OP described doesn't have any other friends, family or acquaintances he can talk to outside of work. For many people their work relationships are there whole lives. I would certainly try and be compassionate and lend an ear if someone wanted to talk about it to me, to the degree I could do so and still do my job.

Last edited by CptnRn; 03-25-2014 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer