Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times

Advertisements

New drug Opdivo successfully ends lung cancer trial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 09:04 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
It would be wonderful if this drug became widely available. My mom needs treatment for tumors in her lungs.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:22 PM

2,903 posts, read 2,146,933 times
this article provides absolutely no information.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:25 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
I have been hearing about this drug from my doctor. It is supposed to open the door to revolutionizing cancer treatment.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:25 PM

194 posts, read 252,345 times
Opdivo is an Anti-PD1, there are many others by the big players. In a phase II trial the drug showed that - based on 11 months of follow-up - 41% of patients treated with biweekly Opdivo (nivolumab) should still be alive after 12 months, which compares favourably with historical survival rates of between 5% and 18%. BMS' PD-1 blocker Opdivo aces lung cancer trial - PMLiVE

The immune system depends on multiple checkpoints or ''immunological brakes'' to avoid overactivation of the immune system on healthy cells. Tumor cells often take advantage of these checkpoints to escape detection by the immune system. CTLA-4 and PD-1 are checkpoints that have been studied as targets for cancer therapy. CTLA-4 has been shown to be aberrantly upregulated and present on the surface of T cells in certain cancers, dampening T-cell activation in response to tumor cells. PD-1 is another immunologic checkpoint that has been found to be upregulated in certain tumors; it inhibits T-cell function contributing to the tumor’s ability to evade the immune system. Inhibiting a checkpoint (ie, ''releasing the brakes'') on the immune system may enhance the anti-tumor T-cell response. This class of therapy has shown efficacy in cancer and clinical trials are ongoing.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I have been hearing about this drug from my doctor. It is supposed to open the door to revolutionizing cancer treatment.
If only

Old 02-01-2015, 10:42 PM

Two could be better than one. In this case adding an Anti-CTLA4 Ipilimumab Ipilimumab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (YERVOY) with the Anti-PD1 Nivolumab Nivolumab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Opdivo) and some data from BMS shows they work better in combo for melanoma Nivolumab plus ipilimumab in advanced melanoma. - PubMed - NCBI Ipilimumab/Nivolumab Combo Boosts Long-Term Survival in Advanced Melanoma | Cancer Network ASCO 2014: Strong results for Bristol-Myers Yervoy, and combo with niv so they could help with other solid tumors too. The up side are response rates and longer survival, but the downsides are more side-effects. BMS have put another checkpoint inhibitor in a Phase I, an Anti-LAG3 https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01968109 All these could work even better with PDT Photodynamic therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as this could generate an immune response Photodynamic therapy and anti-tumour immunity. - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer