Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:36 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It sounds like this procedure is fairly minor as these things go and then he'll be back to normal after recovery with no need for further treatment. Is that the case? I don't think FMLA needs to be invoked quite yet. This should be covered by normal sick time - he can say he is going in for a minor procedure but there are a few days of rest required. Pretty normal - people of all ages need things like back surgery or gallbladders removed.

Hopefully its just a relatively minor surgical procedure and he can be back at work in a few days. It straddles a weekend, so, perhaps he could just say nothing, call in sick for a few days, or, better still, schedule a mini "vacation" at that time and use some of his PTO days. That way, his employer has advance notice so they can plan around his absence, yet they don't know all our business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 09:11 PM

133 posts, read 175,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but this is the beginning of the end of a decent life for us. That's what health /medical problems do to one---
Not necessarily true. Yes, your life will definitely be different, but that doesn't mean it won't be decent.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:59 AM

91 posts, read 109,685 times
I dunno know how old your husband is but I can tell you my personal experience I will be 50 this June I was diagnosis with stage 4 kidney cancer Renal cell carcinoma in march of 2015 it had spread to my right humorous bone that's (the bone from the shoulder to elbow) I had my right kidney removed 3/23/15 and to tell ya the truth I don't even miss it on 4/23/15 I had my right humorous bone replaced for a prostatic because of a large mass I now have a 65% loss of use of my right arm and shoulder (not bad considering they probably would have loped my arm off 20 years ago) I go for cat scans every 3 months as of now thank god the cancer hasn't returned but back to my point if it had not spread to my arm I think I would be just fine it took me maybe 5-6 weeks to feel a lot better after my kidney surgery anyway I have been off from work since 3/2/2015 and still getting paid (I love my job) I just filed for my disability pension because of my shoulder not the kidney like I said I really don't notice that I'm missing a kidney I also filed for my pension more or less for my family because the survival rate for my condition is 8% chance of surviving 5 years ( I'm hoping for more) but if I don't my wife will continue to receive my full pension check for the rest of her life I hope this helps if its just the kidney I think he'll be fine but I say that not knowing what stage he is in good luck

Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Marylee, how are things going?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:18 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Yes, he would qualify for FMLA, but most people who take FMLA are let go the day the leave ends. I know of 6 cases where the employee took FMLA for documented, legit medical reasons. The day the leave ran out they got notice they were let go. Also, you don't get paid during FMLA, and your employer doesn't cover your insurance. You can carry cobra, if you can afford it. We carried cobra a few times in the past, it was something like $1200/month!

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer, but this is the beginning of the end of a decent life for us. That's what health /medical problems do to one---

I suppose that is possible. I filed FMLA and when it ended, I stayed there for years and filed again when my mother got sick - and still did not get fired afterward.

If I remember correctly, my employer continued to pay my "portion" of my insurance premium (you are still an employee on FMLA), but I had to pay my regular portion since there was no paycheck for it to come out of.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:24 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Marylee, how are things going?
In case Marylee doesn't see this...

IIRC correctly, it turned out to be a very small early stage mass in one kidney and they got it all. Very lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer