Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,975,218 times

Advertisements

I wonder what they'll tell us next we can't eat. They also put pork on the list and call it a red meat, but I always figured it was white meat, like chicken? And then they say its as dangerous as smoking. My response is, show me the research, and what kind of cancer? Finally, I want to hear them recommend a balanced diet that has nothing that causes cancer. Remember when they said apples were cancerous? I don't listen to their diet advice any more. I think they're all full of crap.

Bacon, ham and sausages 'as big a cancer threat as smoking', WHO to warn - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 11:19 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,697,760 times
If bacon is wrong, I don't want to be right. From what I've read the WHO recommends eating less than 17.6oz of red meat a week (seems reasonable for a healthy diet) and much less (although no recommendations have been provided) of smoked or cured meat like bacon. Cant say much until the full report is released BUT on the surface it seems reasonable.

Personally, I use one slice of bacon almost every day to season my lunch, which is either a mound of cabbage/kale/ and brussel sprouts or squash. Seems like a small amount and a fair trade, but who knows. I'm just going to stick with it and the age old advice of "everything in moderation...including moderation".

Old 10-23-2015, 11:24 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,401,691 times
I had a relative who was very much into nutritional dicta, and like too many of us, he tended to oversimplify his views as he grew older.

He lived to just short of the age of ninety-two, but most of his diet consisted of boiled root vegetables and a variety of supplements.

Would I find it worth the same effort? -- I doubt it.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:07 PM

20,329 posts, read 37,368,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I had a relative who was very much into nutritional dicta, and like too many of us, he tended to oversimplify his views as he grew older.

He lived to just short of the age of ninety-two, but most of his diet consisted of boiled root vegetables and a variety of supplements.

Would I find it worth the same effort? -- I doubt it.
My father in law is 91 years old, and his breakfast has always been a couple of fried eggs and bacon, plus black coffee with creamer in it. His mind is finally wandering, and he has to wear hearing aids, but that's about it

But he does not smoke and drink, so maybe that helps. Who knows?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:14 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,924,139 times
Eat bacon and hamburger and live to 95 or refrain and maybe love to a 100. I'd much rather be a happy 95 year old than be miserable in my second century.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,870 posts, read 81,907,203 times
You just balance the pleasure of good tasting food with healthy eating. Yes, I once succumbed to a 1/2 lb. burger topped with bacon and a hot dog, with fries, and enjoyed it. Once. We will have bacon 1-2 times a week, and I'm not sure how much life would be worth living without it.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 AM

564 posts, read 1,043,955 times
Vegetarians get cancer, too.

Here's the bottom line: processed meats are not ideal, but if eaten, they should only be eaten in moderation.

Try to eat pastured meats. Animals that lived relatively stress-free, and were fed their natural diets. No hormones, antibiotics, or growth-enhancing chemicals. As close to wild as you can get.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM

987 posts, read 1,752,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

Here's the bottom line: processed meats are not ideal, but if eaten, they should only be eaten in moderation.

Try to eat pastured meats. Animals that lived relatively stress-free, and were fed their natural diets. No hormones, antibiotics, or growth-enhancing chemicals. As close to wild as you can get.
Well put! I'm stage 3 Colon Cancer survivor (first one ever in my family diagnosed w/cancer) and I choose not to eat any red meat anymore. But I'm not that anal about it. It's my choice, because I was living off the fat of the land by eating lots of bacon & hot dogs and many other processed foods. But, I don't think one should be isolate from enjoying what they want to eat. My husband eats hamburgers and bacon, but because of my diagnosis, he now keeps it very moderate. I cook both for me and him. If I cook something w/meat in it, I usually eat the veggie/rice/bean/etc portion of it. And when my father-in-law came out to visit my girls (hadn't seen him in over 20 yrs), oh yea you betcha I ate one of his prize winning ribs (man's a pit master). But I choose to not indulge or eat it, my choice and I'm ok with it. Lost weight too. Do I tell my daughters to stop eating red meat?? Of course not. I tell them to eat in moderation. To read labels, do organic if possible and ask questions - ultimately it's their lives, but now that their mother has it and their chances increased, it would be good for them to just be aware.

In the end, were all going to blame the diet, the modern times with fast processing times & preservatives used, vast production of our food at a high rate to meet the demands of the masses, and whatever the media spins as "viral" in health concerns.

Live damn it. But just be aware and be informed. That's all. Life's too short to have hang ups on anything.

PS - I do however eat organic poultry & wild caught fish.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:54 PM

194 posts, read 253,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

Many studies show veggies are at a lower risk for certain types of cancers. Also the ''stress-free'' and ''natural'' diets is a marketing ploy. As for those chemicals - they are in everything!

Old 11-03-2015, 02:29 PM

564 posts, read 1,043,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDoeUK View Post
Many studies show veggies are at a lower risk for certain types of cancers. Also the ''stress-free'' and ''natural'' diets is a marketing ploy. As for those chemicals - they are in everything!
There is a difference in the quality of meat produced by a grass-fed, pastured animal than one that was confined to a crowded feedlot and force-fed grains and hormones. Indeed, the antibiotics are to combat the sickness that feedlot cattle suffer when taken off their natural diet of grass.

But I think we need to look more closely at what was consumed with the meats in question, and other lifestyle variables. For example, did they have bread with their bacon, fries with their steak, and wash it all down with orange juice and soda? Do they smoke, are they overweight, and do they get regular exercise?

(Vegetarians are typically more health-conscious than non-vegetarians, so there might be other factors involved in their apparent lower-risk that go beyond diet.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer