Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:46 PM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,529,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If it were me or my father, I would ask for hospice care. Pain control is a blessing.
Yes, this. I wish we had requested hospice care much earlier than we did for my mother. Circumstances were what they were, though. Beyond sad to have lost her, but we all knew it was time.

I know your FIL is probably very scared, but fear is one thing; fear + PAIN is a whole different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:47 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times
Smile Update on my FIL

Hospital is sending him home tomorrow. He told his caregiver today "hand me my shoes; I want to go home!" so he's ready!

He has Stage 4 bladder cancer and it may be worse. The tumor is massive according to the doctors. Nothing more they can do.

We've arranged for Hospice to come to his home as needed. He's a very tough man so I'm sure he will want to forego any morphine until the last possible minute. We want him to enjoy the time he has left.

Thanks for all the replies; it has been a journey over the past 8 years with him but we made it this far. He is our only parent left.

He also has caregivers who take shifts and are angels

Old 09-14-2016, 10:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Hospital is sending him home tomorrow. He told his caregiver today "hand me my shoes; I want to go home!" so he's ready!

He has Stage 4 bladder cancer and it may be worse. The tumor is massive according to the doctors. Nothing more they can do.

We've arranged for Hospice to come to his home as needed. He's a very tough man so I'm sure he will want to forego any morphine until the last possible minute. We want him to enjoy the time he has left.

Thanks for all the replies; it has been a journey over the past 8 years with him but we made it this far. He is our only parent left.

He sounds like a remarkable man. You are making the right decisions, as difficult as it is.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 PM

652 posts, read 873,799 times
There should be rules regarding people who exceed the average life expectancy for their gender. Give the patient pain medicine so that their last days end peacefully. That is the humanist way of thinking.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Prayers to you and your family. Keep us informed. I know this is hard on all of you. Thank goodness he has good help and a wonderful family behind him.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:43 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,476,643 times
My father at 91 was found to have bladder cancer when he went in for an artery repair. He let them do some kind of bladder scrape (brother's words) and died from the procedure. Dad said just before he died that he wished he had never had anything done.

Perhaps hospice is needed?

Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
There should be rules regarding people who exceed the average life expectancy for their gender. Give the patient pain medicine so that their last days end peacefully. That is the humanist way of thinking.
what the H? Are you saying, someone who reaches 75, if life expectancy is 72 and has cancer or breaks a hip, they should be given pain meds, that is all? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I don't think we can decide when it is time to stop treating. We are not Gods. I do think we should all be aware of what is involved in any type of treatment. It must then be up to each to decide what choices need to be made or should be made

Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 PM

252 posts, read 358,918 times
Hopefully, he recovers to live to 100 but be proactive and make sure he has someone
as POA (power of attorney), and POD (payable on death) names on his accounts.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
what the H? Are you saying, someone who reaches 75, if life expectancy is 72 and has cancer or breaks a hip, they should be given pain meds, that is all? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying? I don't think we can decide when it is time to stop treating. We are not Gods. I do think we should all be aware of what is involved in any type of treatment. It must then be up to each to decide what choices need to be made or should be made
jeezo Im nearly 70 and have no plans to leave this earth for a while yet.. I dont feel old at all, can do everything that needs done for myself without help.. maybe if I was a lot older I wouldnt want to be kept alive longer if I was suffering but in this day and age 70s arent old and no one has the right to say when someone else should be left to die.. as you say were not god... I wonder if that same poster would say yes to not trying to save their parent..

Old 03-16-2017, 03:33 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
My father at 91 was found to have bladder cancer when he went in for an artery repair. He let them do some kind of bladder scrape (brother's words) and died from the procedure. Dad said just before he died that he wished he had never had anything done.

Perhaps hospice is needed?
I think if I reached that age Id rather be left in peace with pain relief than go through such procedures.. sometimes I wonder if doctors are doing research type work on older bodies, lets hope not though..I think it should be up to the patient to say if treatments are to be stopped..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer