Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:18 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,240,057 times

Advertisements

My FIL is now in the hospital and has been told by a doctor that most likely he has bladder cancer.

Right now, he is weak and they cannot operate.

He usually goes to the VA but we were waiting for an appointment. Got a surprise call today from the hospital - one of his caregivers called 911. (We are thankful).

Has anyone had a relative over the age 90 go through an operation for this type of cancer? I know I read that years ago doctors didn't even consider it but today they do.

His heart rate is elevated and his blood pressure is extremely low. Those 2 items have to stabilize before any decision.

Note: My FIL turns 94 on Tuesday. Great birthday present (being in the hospital).

TIA.

Last edited by Bette; 09-04-2016 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Added a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Both my parents ended up with cancers at 90 and 95 and no surgery, no cancer drugs just kept them comfortable to their end. They had long good lives.

I have a friend now at 95 in Oct and some kind of cancer has shown up and she wants no major therapy. She's had a great life and throwing herself a big party for her 95th in Oct.

I would think that many surgeons would not operate on someone his age, So that is my input.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:51 PM

Smile What he is feeling

He has blood in his urine and it is painful. He is a proud man and I can tell he is worried. He is also becoming more forgetful day by day.

He still lives in his own home but has 3 (wonderful) caregivers a/k/a angels.

The doctors call us every few hours. He is upset though he is not at the VA but is at a regular hospital.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
He has blood in his urine and it is painful. He is a proud man and I can tell he is worried. He is also becoming more forgetful day by day.

He still lives in his own home but has 3 (wonderful) caregivers a/k/a angels.

The doctors call us every few hours. He is upset though he is not at the VA but is at a regular hospital.
I know none of us want to hear these kinds of reports or face the fact our loved ones are coming close to the end of their lives, but I also doubt many doctors would recommend surgery or any dramatic treatment on someone in their mid 90s.

My mom in law broke her hip at 96. The doctor made it clear, without surgery she would die. It was 2 days before Christmas 2001. We made the decision to allow the surgery. Yes, she lived through it but she really had no reason to want to live and died less than a month later. Quality of live has much to do with decisions to seek treatments, as much as anything.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
If it were me or my father, I would ask for hospice care. Pain control is a blessing.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If it were me or my father, I would ask for hospice care. Pain control is a blessing.
My mom spent her last five months of life on hospice. It is a wonderful option for those with inoperable cancers. It's much better to spend time on hospice versus spending that same time trying to recover from a surgery that did not extend a quality life.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:30 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Both my parents ended up with cancers at 90 and 95 and no surgery, no cancer drugs just kept them comfortable to their end. They had long good lives.

I have a friend now at 95 in Oct and some kind of cancer has shown up and she wants no major therapy. She's had a great life and throwing herself a big party for her 95th in Oct.

I would think that many surgeons would not operate on someone his age, So that is my input.
No one should play god though and if the person wishes to have the operation and seems fit to pull through it then why not...they might live another five to ten years... thats a lot... and no one should ever take it away. Personally though Id choose care and no surgery.. but then Im not there yet....sometimes I wonder if its to allow junior surgeons to try out their skills.. but that just my opinion..

Old 09-08-2016, 08:51 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
For his birthday he is being treated medically...sounds like a nice present...not a gloomy one.

Does he still make his own health decisions? Has he created the living will for medical decisions...? I would start there...

I wish him easing comfort thru these medical decisions...

Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 PM

Smile Quick update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
For his birthday he is being treated medically...sounds like a nice present...not a gloomy one.

Does he still make his own health decisions? Has he created the living will for medical decisions...? I would start there...

I wish him easing comfort thru these medical decisions...
My FIL doesn't like going to doctors. He rollerbladed until age 80 and rode a bike till 87 (broke a hip; that's what stopped that!)

No, he does not make his own decisions anymore. My husband (only child) has POA. Yes, he has a Living Will and all that was done in 2013 when his sister (now gone) did hers. So thankful that part is done.

It was very hard for my husband so what happened is that my FIL had a procedure where he was out but it was not "full surgery" - it was only done today and was for comfort and to see what was really there so the doctors became rather insistent. The nurses are advising us against the full surgery and they are good to get info from. My FIL was in a lot of pain but we'll see what happens now. Very scary actually.

Since July 2015, we have seen a decline. To think, he was still driving at that time. So thankful he is not driving anymore.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:39 PM

Smile Another update

FIL is drifting in and out of sleep. He is bewildered.

The doctor said the bladder is just full of cancer. He mentioned the radiation and chemo but said the result could be less than positive.

We don't know if he has had this a long time. First blood in urine was in 2014 and it was maybe 4 times that year. He seemed to get UTI's more in the past 2 years.

So, I guess we find out more this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer