Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 02:39 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I'm sorry but I do not believe a basal cell can kill anyone. The only skin cancer I've heard about they call "deadly" is melanoma and an 83 year old male friend of mine had it twice and he still drives to New York City and pulls weeds. His wife treats them after removal. Both my mom and dad and I have/had multiple basal cells and Im fine. Mom died of a stroke at 83; dad at 89.
I feel the AMA wants to rack up business by starting these tales. For instance, decades ago the diastolic blood pressure, the 2nd number, was "perfect at 80." Around ten years ago someone came up with the idea to lower the value of the 2nd number to 75. The result? A BILLION MORE DOLLARS for the drug industry.
Skin Cancer- Basal Cell Carcinoma - The Angeles Clinic & Research Institute, West Los Angeles - Santa Monica, CA - Patient Education Library

"If left untreated, basal cell carcinomas can become quite large, cause disfigurement, and in rare cases, spread to other parts of the body and cause death."

The AMA does not make money from treating anything.

The optimal value of blood pressure is determined by looking at large numbers of people and seeing what value is associated with the best outcome.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...l-blood-press/

"But modern epidemiologic studies have confirmed with a great deal of certainty that risk of a heart attack or stroke begins to increase in adults when the usual systolic blood pressure is 115 or higher and/or the usual diastolic blood pressure is 75 or higher. The risk steadily increases with higher and higher readings, so the traditional 120/80 level remains reasonable as a threshold for getting a doctor's attention."

To answer the question of the poster who made the comment at the end of that article, blood pressure should ideally be measured sitting, with the arm resting at the level of the heart, after sitting quietly for about five minutes. The cuff used should be appropriately sized for the arm.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I do not believe a basal cell can kill anyone. The only skin cancer I've heard about they call "deadly" is melanoma
Im fine.
Well, please let us know what it happens to you. Until then, you will never understand.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
I don't know about if the other 2 skin cancers can kill if not treated, but please, your post upset me and is an insult to anyone battling this horrific cancer. You know nothing!!
They absolutely can kill.

https://www.healthafter50.com/cancer...a-skin-cancers

Old 06-26-2017, 08:00 AM

676 posts, read 720,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm sure it can kill. It's cancer.
And cancer is a MONSTER no matter what Kind it is.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Skin Cancer- Basal Cell Carcinoma - The Angeles Clinic & Research Institute, West Los Angeles - Santa Monica, CA - Patient Education Library

"If left untreated, basal cell carcinomas can become quite large, cause disfigurement, and in rare cases, spread to other parts of the body and cause death."

The AMA does not make money from treating anything.

The optimal value of blood pressure is determined by looking at large numbers of people and seeing what value is associated with the best outcome.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...l-blood-press/

"But modern epidemiologic studies have confirmed with a great deal of certainty that risk of a heart attack or stroke begins to increase in adults when the usual systolic blood pressure is 115 or higher and/or the usual diastolic blood pressure is 75 or higher. The risk steadily increases with higher and higher readings, so the traditional 120/80 level remains reasonable as a threshold for getting a doctor's attention."

To answer the question of the poster who made the comment at the end of that article, blood pressure should ideally be measured sitting, with the arm resting at the level of the heart, after sitting quietly for about five minutes. The cuff used should be appropriately sized for the arm.
Glad you posted that about basil cell. Hubby just had 3 cancers removed in the past 2 weeks. 2 were melanomas and yes, in sito so no one is concerned. They got it all the lab reports show. the third he had removed yesterday and yes, it was basel cell and yes, the doctor said, exactly what you are saying. Because it is on his face, just below his ear and gets irritated every time he shaves, it can do nothing other than grow and get ugly if nothing else. We are glad our dermatologist is on the ball, even if sometimes she might be a little aggressive.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I do not believe a basal cell can kill anyone. The only skin cancer I've heard about they call "deadly" is melanoma and an 83 year old male friend of mine had it twice and he still drives to New York City and pulls weeds. His wife treats them after removal. Both my mom and dad and I have/had multiple basal cells and Im fine. Mom died of a stroke at 83; dad at 89.
I feel the AMA wants to rack up business by starting these tales. For instance, decades ago the diastolic blood pressure, the 2nd number, was "perfect at 80." Around ten years ago someone came up with the idea to lower the value of the 2nd number to 75. The result? A BILLION MORE DOLLARS for the drug industry.
I don't get why somebody of any age drives to New York City to pull weeds , but yes, melanoma is often deadly. Does the name Bob Marley ring a bell? Dead at 36 from a spot that started on his toe four years earlier.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:49 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Ask Doris Day,he only son Terry died of skin cancer.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't get why somebody of any age drives to New York City to pull weeds , but yes, melanoma is often deadly. Does the name Bob Marley ring a bell? Dead at 36 from a spot that started on his toe four years earlier.
had a good friend many years ago who died from what started as melanoma. It was on her foot as well. She didn't have it checked for a few years as her doctor assured it was nothing and she was pregnant at the time. When it never went away she checked with another doctor. By then the cancer was in her lungs. 36 years old, 3 kids and her life was over. Now, I grant you this was about 50 years ago and medicine has come a long way. As I mentioned earlier, we know many, including my husband that have simply had it removed and been just fine. I don't think anyone who learns they have a melanoma should panic, but it should be removed as soon as possible.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I believe this question has been more than afequately answered. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer