Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,311,133 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the middle of his treatment plan and oncologist has ordered a new pet scan. Anyone with this experience, is this comparison a good method of determining the effectiveness of the treatment plan. Is it too early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,032,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
My husband is in the middle of his treatment plan and oncologist has ordered a new pet scan. Anyone with this experience, is this comparison a good method of determining the effectiveness of the treatment plan. Is it too early?
Has your husband had his scan? I hope the results are good!

Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 PM

7,216 posts, read 4,897,643 times
Hoping his scan came back good!

My husband is in the middle of heavy chemo, bladder cancer metastasized. After his third treatment they ordered a bone scan, which seemed odd to us, it seemed kind of "after the fact".

Luckily, his bone scan was clear. Not sure why they time these things the way they do.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:21 PM

Thanks for asking. He had the scan today. Should get results next week.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,264,701 times
I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer two weeks ago. I was told that they would order a PET scan after my first three rounds of chemotherapy and if the results were "bad" (cancer spread rather than got smaller) the doctor said that "he would not put me through the torture of surgery". Basically I should prepare to die, because the surgery would not help keep me alive.

I have no idea if that is similar to what they mean for your husband but that is what they told me.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM

3,261 posts, read 2,360,735 times
Germaine, has the doctor told you what kind of surgery you would be having? I've not heard of surgery being referred to as 'torture' so I wonder what he plans to do.

Chemo will shrink the tumors. Chemo didn't work they wouldn't be subjecting you to it.
I am praying for an excellent outcome for you and hopeful that's exactly what will happen.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Germaine, my husband has Stage 4 Lymphoma. He has many affected nodes in multiple areas of his body. While surgery obtained one large node for path purposes, others are in precarious places and as there are multiples, surgery isn't much of an option.

I hope you get good results from your scan. Prayers for you.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,264,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer two weeks ago. I was told that they would order a PET scan after my first three rounds of chemotherapy and if the results were "bad" (cancer spread rather than got smaller) the doctor said that "he would not put me through the torture of surgery". Basically I should prepare to die, because the surgery would not help keep me alive.

I have no idea if that is similar to what they mean for your husband but that is what they told me.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Germaine, has the doctor told you what kind of surgery you would be having? I've not heard of surgery being referred to as 'torture' so I wonder what he plans to do.

Chemo will shrink the tumors. Chemo didn't work they wouldn't be subjecting you to it.
I am praying for an excellent outcome for you and hopeful that's exactly what will happen.
What the doctor meant was that why subject your body to major surgery, removing uterus, ovaries, fallopian tubes, plus "40 to 50" lymph nodes if the projected life span/life expectancy would NOT increase, and may even be shortened. Of course this is the worst case situation.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,092,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Hoping his scan came back good!

My husband is in the middle of heavy chemo, bladder cancer metastasized. After his third treatment they ordered a bone scan, which seemed odd to us, it seemed kind of "after the fact".

Luckily, his bone scan was clear. Not sure why they time these things the way they do.
According to my husbands first Urologist prostate cancer often metastasized into the bones even though we all know it is a very slow growing cancer. Luckily for hubby it had not. I am guessing bladder cancer might be similar.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Got scan results today. All tumors but one markedly reduced. We are celebrating!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer