Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:05 PM

310 posts, read 447,118 times

Advertisements

Have there been any studies regarding the effects of smoking Marijuana (THC) cause lung cancer or any other cancers? I know that people who smoke cigarettes with tobacco can get lung cancer, but I have never heard anyone who has been a pothead (only smoking marijuana not cigarettes) to get cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
The epidemiological evidence is scant at present. Some actual studies controlling for other confounding factors have found an increased incidence of lung cancer from marijuana smoking (eg Aldington et al., New Zealand, 2008, in European Respiratory Journal). Its not surprising - burnt marijuana contains a huge number of polyaromatic hydrocarbons ("tar")- its not just THC as your post title implies. There are some older less well controlled studies showing no link - but in retrospect they were a bit loosey goosey. In addition, there are so many home made pro-THC sites out there telling you its a gift from God and cures everything on earth its hard to filter the hype from the actual study results. I estimate we'll see more definitive answer within 10 years.

My view is this - if you are going to use weed and you smoke it instead of vaping it (no combustion) you are nuts and playing roulette. Just vape it.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:22 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
It can cause more serious mental disorders:

How is marijuana related to mental illness?
A. Marijuana increases the risk of psychosis, in which people lose touch with reality and may experience delusions, hallucinations and paranoia, Volkow says. Marijuana is also associated with chronic psychotic disorders, such as schizophrenia, in people who are genetically susceptible. Heavy marijuana use can lead these people to experience a psychotic episode two to six years earlier than otherwise.

Colorado police have reported two deaths this year related to psychosis-like episodes in pot users. In March, a 19-year-old African exchange student jumped off a hotel balcony after eating a marijuana cookie. The next month, a Denver man who had purchased marijuana, including an edible form called "Karma Kandy," began hallucinating and fatally shot his wife.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...uana/10386699/

Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Regardless of what substance one smokes, be it tobacco, marijuana, orange tree leaves , or any other leaf you can think of, smoke contains harmful particles and substances. For example, the smoke of melting solder or any kind contains particles of the metals and other substances the solder contains. While some smokes are more dangerous than others, any long term concentrations are the most harmful.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:54 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,357,582 times
Anything you smoke is harmful.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:56 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,638,818 times
Unfortunately, studies on cannabis have been severely hampered due to it's schedule 1 status which includes, believe it or not, heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote so thanks to the government it'll be a long time until anyone knows for sure.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:59 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,342,231 times
It's the burning of the leaves and the paper that causes the potential to develop cancer.

If you can use it without smoking it, I don't believe there is as much harm. Burning the substances is what creates the tar that coats the lung tissues.

If you think about it logically, smoking pot is not as dangerous as smoking cigarettes though. When a smoker smokes cigs, they generally smoke a pack (on avarage) a day. A person that smokes pot wont smoke nearly that much on a daily basis.

No, I don't have studies to back up my thoughts.

I'm a former smoker. I have colon cancer and I am looking into drops or edibles to help me during treatment. Unfortunately, the state is dragging their feet on getting medical mj rules down so that those of us who want to use this as a tool have to wait even longer before it's available.

In the meantime, I am using a CBD oil that is legal in all 50 states.

I don't want the high, I just want relief if I need it.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
OP, you say studies show people who smoke can get lung cancer: that is true, people who do not smoke can get lung cancer, some people who smoke never get any cancer, so who really knows. As for smoking pot, smoking anything is not good for us and smoking pot can have severe side affects, not only damage to the lungs. If you haven't started smoking it, don't, if you have quit. I think we all know people who have smoked it for years and are still doing fine, physically as well as mentally, but if people are honest they will admit, they know people who have had their lives ruined by using pot or other drugs for that matter. I know of one right in my family.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:04 AM

5 posts, read 4,779 times
it would cause other problems.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:14 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OP, you say studies show people who smoke can get lung cancer: that is true, people who do not smoke can get lung cancer, some people who smoke never get any cancer, so who really knows. As for smoking pot, smoking anything is not good for us and smoking pot can have severe side affects, not only damage to the lungs. If you haven't started smoking it, don't, if you have quit. I think we all know people who have smoked it for years and are still doing fine, physically as well as mentally, but if people are honest they will admit, they know people who have had their lives ruined by using pot or other drugs for that matter. I know of one right in my family.
Any long term concentration of chemicals getting in your lungs, or anywhere else in your body, has the potential of causing cancer and other ailments to develop. Smoke is a concentration of chemicals. I do agree with Robino1 in that perhaps eating small amounts of it is not as harmful as smoking it. I would think that smoking it has a fast and detrimental effect in the cardio vascular system, and the brain, but eating it with foods in small amounts probably takes longer.

That said, some people aren't detrimentally affected by smoking. I have read about people who lived into a very old age smoking like a bat. My father in law is 93 years old. He has eaten bacon and eggs, burned toasted bread, and coffee with a bunch of sugar and creamer every day of the week, all his life. Supposedly eating bacon each day can cause cancer...go figure

But, why take the chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer