Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,268 times

Advertisements

On further reflection, state of mind Absolutely helps when you are fighting this beast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 01:56 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I am battling colon cancer right now.
My oncologist said I'm just unlucky.
H/she is correct.

Most Cancer Cases Arise from "Bad Luck" Environment and heredity are smaller players than researchers previously believed:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...from-bad-luck/

Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
I am battling colon cancer right now.

I'm the least stressed person that I apcan think of. I don't dwell on what ifs. It's totally pointless. In fact, I even look at the positives as I battle this disease. My hair may thin (think it is doing it now) hopefully these bushy curls won't be so bushy!!

My cancer is not genetic. I'm otherwise healthy at 56. I don't have any condition that requires regular meds, other than my chemo now. My BMI is absolutely spot on. I exercise regularly and eat healthy.

My oncologist said I'm just unlucky.

I call BS on the premise of this thread.
Of course it's bad luck--I don't know anyone who gets it and thinks hallelujah. LOL. Try this one on for possible connections:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-QWXvNFWrc Then try blaming the victims.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Of course it's bad luck--I don't know anyone who gets it and thinks hallelujah.
Yet as evidenced by this thread, many people believe that what brings cancer on is negative emotions, lack of exercise, eating the wrong foods, etc.......all of which is not true.

Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
When I had cancer I joined a breast cancer support group and many of the women there, myself included, had experienced a major trauma in their life shortly before being diagnosed. In my case my husband died and I was diagnosed with BC 8 months later. Maybe it's possible the trauma reduced our immune system to the point where it couldn't fight the cancer? That makes sense to me especially since I was the only person in my immediate family to get any kind of cancer.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yet as evidenced by this thread, many people believe that what brings cancer on is negative emotions, lack of exercise, eating the wrong foods, etc.......all of which is not true.
That's not, not true either. Of course all of those things count as well because it's never just one thing. It's possible that a cancer patient has a high amount of radon gas coming up from their basement and that's something the doc and the patient won't know but it's definitely bad luck so that's what the doc will tell you. I was driving home one night and they were flying around in planes spraying the cotton in the fields--the stuff is similar to agent orange. Definitely bad luck to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We'll never know what caused mine but I'm quite sure it's a combination of factors, some of which I was responsible for and most of which I wasn't. We live in a toxic world,

Old 08-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,011 times
OP, can't say. But when I stew in my juices my stomach ulcer starts to burn...so the brain and thoughts have a big say.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:34 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,567,188 times
If the immune system is weak enough, internalized stress will contribute to the development of cancer.

Quote:
The persistent activation of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis in the chronic stress response and in depression probably impairs the immune response and contributes to the development and progression of some types of cancer.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15465465

Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The man who discovered cancer said its cause is a lack of oxygen to the cells. That would explain why exercise prevents it. Notice how much heavier you breathe when exercising.
The existence of cancer dates back to 3,000 BC. Who is this man you are speaking of?

Old 08-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The existence of cancer dates back to 3,000 BC. Who is this man you are speaking of?
I get the feeling that NCN spoke in a hurry and I"m guessing this is who NCN was talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Heinrich_Warburg

Quote:
Warburg hypothesized that cancer growth is caused by tumor cells generating energy (as, e.g., adenosine triphosphate / ATP) mainly by anaerobic breakdown of glucose (known as fermentation, or anaerobic respiration). This is in contrast to healthy cells, which mainly generate energy from oxidative breakdown of pyruvate. Pyruvate is an end product of glycolysis, and is oxidized within the mitochondria. Hence, and according to Warburg, cancer should be interpreted as a mitochondrial dysfunction.

Cancer, above all other diseases, has countless secondary causes. But, even for cancer, there is only one prime cause. Summarized in a few words, the prime cause of cancer is the replacement of the respiration of oxygen in normal body cells by a fermentation of sugar.— Otto H. Warburg, [14]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer