Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,953 times

Advertisements

Someone once told me that there is a theory that cancer could be caused by negative emotions, or even repressed emotions. I obviously thought that that was crazy.

But I started thinking about it recently. There are a lot of physical ailments that have their roots in emotions - perfect example would be developing a stomach ulcer from high stress. Or what about depression causing tiredness and fatigue? Stress causing acne? Anxiety/panic attack causing sweating and shaking? Fight or flight causing a bowel movement?

There are a lot of emotional/mental things that result in a physical ailment, so would it be so far fetched to say that cancer could be caused by some kind of traumatic emotional "rollcoaster" or something?

Perhaps it just has an effect rather than being the absolute cause?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 03:00 PM

130,487 posts, read 12,130,332 times
Someone once told me, thye thought that people who worried about getting cancer, ended up getting it, I was skeptical at first, but then many people I knew, good friends & family, got cancer, all were people who had worried about getting it.

Of course there is also a genetic & a lifestyle link.

So I don't know, but my heart goes out to all who suffer from it.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
I don't know why why why cancer cells take off in people's bodies but when my sil died pretty fast after dx and the rad/chemo treatments, a friend told his then ex wife that he had anger cancer. He was rather anger but not when drinking.

I don't dwell on this issue and am believing the supp I've been taking for a long time will keep me in good shape with this terrible health challenge. And I don't the tests recommended by MD's to find "it" in my body.

Oh a duplicate, sorry for the mess up here.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't know why why why people explode with cancer cells, but when my sil died pretty fast after the dx, one friend told his then ex wife, he had anger cancer. He did have a lot of anger, happier when he drank.
Secret may be in that last word. Women who have two drinks a day are said to be more likely to have breast cancer. Logic would say the same may be for men. You may think this is crazy and it may be but I have observed cancer for years and think of it as body mold.

The man who discovered cancer said its cause is a lack of oxygen to the cells. That would explain why exercise prevents it. Notice how much heavier you breathe when exercising.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:53 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Saying people get cancer because of negative emotions is just looking for a way to blame them for their illness. It's a way to convince yourself it won't happen to you, because you're going to live better than they did.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Saying people get cancer because of negative emotions is just looking for a way to blame them for their illness. It's a way to convince yourself it won't happen to you, because you're going to live better than they did.

I don't think it's said that negative emotions are the reason but it could be a factor. There are SO MANY factors, who knows.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:03 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,216 times
I believe cancer is largely fear driven. My God, you can't have the TV or radio on for 5 minutes without being bombarded by cancer ads. Sickening and disgusting. And they're all gonna cure it because it's what they do.

GET OFF MY TV!

Old 08-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
I believe cancer is largely fear driven. My God, you can't have the TV or radio on for 5 minutes without being bombarded by cancer ads. Sickening and disgusting. And they're all gonna cure it because it's what they do.

GET OFF MY TV!
You are correct, we are bombarded with the word and that word is forever being planted in our brains. It's as though it's the biggest disease we need to conquer. It sure makes a lot of money for the medical world.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:07 PM

15,867 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Someone once told me, thye thought that people who worried about getting cancer, ended up getting it, I was skeptical at first, but then many people I knew, good friends & family, got cancer, all were people who had worried about getting it.

Of course there is also a genetic & a lifestyle link.

So I don't know, but my heart goes out to all who suffer from it.

I never worried about getting cancer, and then was diagnosed with stage IV cancer a month after my 23rd birthday. I had been sick at least 5 years since my first identifiable symptom when I was 18 and on top of the world having just gotten into my dream college with a full tuition scholarship. I had no family history of cancer, aside from very elderly relatives with a totally different type of cancer. My only risk factors are being of Jewish heritage and being exposed to secondhand smoke from my parents as a small child before they quit.

My circle of friends is largely young adult cancer survivors. Few of us imagined getting cancer in our teens, 20s, or 30s. We certainly didn't worry about it.

Please stop looking for a reason to blame the victim. All this line of thought really does is try to make yourself feel better because you (and that's a general you, not you specifically) don't worry about cancer/are stress free/are emotionally healthy/etc etc. It *can't* happen to you. There are dozens of people like you in every infusion center I've ever been in - all that separates you from them is luck.

6 years later, I'm cured. Must have been all that lemon water. *snicker*

Old 08-07-2017, 07:26 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,996 times
IMHO it's nonsense. It's plausible that emotions can worsen a physical conditions but by themselves they cannot be the root cause of cancer. There should be some genetic predesposition, virus, environmental factor, etc. Without that no emotion can cause it more than any other disease. I'm not a doctor though but that's what seems logical based on the factual evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer