Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 10:02 AM

32 posts, read 30,577 times

Advertisements

I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. It has already spread to the lungs.

Last week, I started what would have been a 4-month round of chemotherapy. I had already heard the horror stories but I never thought it could be so bad and real.

During the session itself, I had no complaints. Once I got home, though, it all came crashing down. I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days. I had to drag myself to the bathroom. For the first few hours I also had terrible nausea, my head was basically inside the toilet all the time. I would shiver intensly for 15 minutes periods for several hours.

I called the doctor telling him I will not be going back to the other sessions. He acted mad at me so I'm in the process of finding another doctor. I have an appointment scheduled next week in another center to discuss end-of-life care.

The side effects I had were far, far worse than any other symptoms I've had so far from the disease itself. Does anyone had similar reactions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 10:07 AM

962 posts, read 612,716 times
So sorry you're going through this. Damn.

I hope your next doctor is sensitive to your wishes (REALLY LISTENS TO WHAT YOU THINK, FEEL) and helps you find a path that works for you.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
So sorry you're going through this. Damn.

I hope your next doctor is sensitive to your wishes (REALLY LISTENS TO WHAT YOU THINK, FEEL) and helps you find a path that works for you.
Thank you.

To be honest, I was never really convinced when they recommended chemotherapy but I sort of let myself go with the flow. I now know my first instinct was right.

Let's see what I'm told next week.

Old 11-01-2019, 10:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleasher View Post
I was diagnosed with testicular cancer. It has already spread to the lungs.

Last week, I started what would have been a 4-month round of chemotherapy. I had already heard the horror stories but I never thought it could be so bad and real.

During the session itself, I had no complaints. Once I got home, though, it all came crashing down. I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days. I had to drag myself to the bathroom. For the first few hours I also had terrible nausea, my head was basically inside the toilet all the time. I would shiver intensly for 15 minutes periods for several hours.

I called the doctor telling him I will not be going back to the other sessions. He acted mad at me so I'm in the process of finding another doctor. I have an appointment scheduled next week in another center to discuss end-of-life care.

The side effects I had were far, far worse than any other symptoms I've had so far from the disease itself. Does anyone had similar reactions?
The fact that the cancer has spread to your lungs is indicative of stage 4 cancer. The chemotherapy you are undergoing is heavy-duty chemotherapy because its the only thing that can stop or slow down the progression of your cancer at this point.

You can choose to discontinue it, but the likelihood that the cancer will continue to grow and kill you within a relatively short period of time is high. Your doctor is angry with you because he realizes this is the case.

Since you are an adult you have the right to make your own decisions. If you want to stop chemotherapy no one can prevent you from doing so. However, you are taking a big risk that is not likely to have a positive outcome.

A couple of questions:

1. Has the doctor said you have stage 4 testicular cancer?

2. Is your doctor an oncologist (cancer doctor)?

3. Have you ever had a second opinion on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment?

4. Are the side effects of the chemotherapy so great, you would choose dying over them?

Old 11-01-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You can choose to discontinue it, but the likelihood that the cancer will continue to grow and kill you within a relatively short period of time is high. Your doctor is angry with you because he realizes this is the case.
I'm perfectly aware of that. There's nothing else to be done at this point.

Now I just want to discuss care options as the cancer naturally follow its course. It's not about treatment anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
A couple of questions:

1. Has the doctor said you have stage 4 testicular cancer?

2. Is your doctor an oncologist (cancer doctor)?

3. Have you ever had a second opinion on diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment?

4. Are the side effects of the chemotherapy so great, you would choose dying over them?
1. Yes, it's stage 4.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. Yes, especially because there's absolutely no guarantee that it'll work. The side effects, in the meanwhile, cannot be taken back.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:15 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
oops

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-01-2019 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-01-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Sorry to hear of your stress with your treatments. I've been in alternative healing for decades and this would be my route FOR ME, you can do some your own research on "alternatives" for your cancer. I have a friend on another group who has been doing her own treatment for months now and she's OK.

Here is a good place to start. https://www.cancertutor.com/
Oh no, I don't believe in any of those alternative healing methods. Just because I think chemotherapy is terrible doesn't that lemon juice diets and coffee enemas are the way to go.

There simply isn't any good method to treat cancer coming from traditional medicine. It is what it is.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:21 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,332,943 times
Chemotherapy can and will more than likely extend your life, but ultimately the decision is yours. I'm sure it's a very personal decision, and really it's nobody's business but yours.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Oncologists don't like giving up. They will try everything they can think of. That's their mindset, and it's actually what we pay them for.

OP, this is your decision. And it's one that, in similar circumstances, I might make myself. No one can say what they would do until this decision is staring them in the face.

There are doctors who specialize in end-of-life care. Failing that, a doc who specializes in chronic pain may be helpful. You don't say where you are, but there may be a local chapter of one of the several national hospice associations where you could find some help.

And what about your family? How are they reacting? Do you have a personal/spiritual advisor?

I am sorry this is happening to you, and I admire your clarity about what you want for yourself.

Old 11-01-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Chemotherapy can and will more than likely extend your life, but ultimately the decision is yours. I'm sure it's a very personal decision, and really it's nobody's business but yours.
It can extend my life but I'm not willing to pay the price. To me, life has to be lived in full - not in and out of hospital. Otherwise it's not worth it.

Thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Cancer