Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 PM

35 posts, read 133,569 times

Advertisements

Been with Geico for five years now. 45 years old with no tickets, no accidents, and no claims. Started out paying $128 a month for two cars. I'm the only person on the policy and the only one who drives these vehicles. My biggest rate hike came six months ago at $30. I opened my renewal notice this evening and found another $10 tacked on top of that.
I'm now paying $190 a month for the same policy/same two cars. Someone would say "Just get rid of one of the cars...problem solved!" Not that simple. There are things I need to do with my 1986 dodge pickup that my 2006 nissan xterra can't handle. But if I drove my '86 dodge as often as I drive my nissan I'd get drawn and quartered at the gas pumps every time I filled up. For that reason I drive my dodge very sparingly but when it comes to certain jobs my nissan can't follow in its tire tracks! I'm done with Geico and ready to move on! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

P.S. I'm not a vet or married to one so companies like USAA are unfortunately not an option for me. I heard they are pretty highly rated for auto insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:31 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,383,798 times
Well is anyone in your family in the military? It's pretty easy to get on there, I am, and I'm not even from this country!

And yeah, their rates are pretty good, we pay less for our car, than you do for one of yours, with everything covered and with a 22 year old female as owner and primary and me, a 25 year old male with a foreign license as an added driver.

If you have anyone in your family, even pretty distant I think, that has it and can add you on, I would suggest doing that.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,068,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
Been with Geico for five years now. 45 years old with no tickets, no accidents, and no claims. Started out paying $128 a month for two cars. I'm the only person on the policy and the only one who drives these vehicles. My biggest rate hike came six months ago at $30. I opened my renewal notice this evening and found another $10 tacked on top of that.
I'm now paying $190 a month for the same policy/same two cars. Someone would say "Just get rid of one of the cars...problem solved!" Not that simple. There are things I need to do with my 1986 dodge pickup that my 2006 nissan xterra can't handle. But if I drove my '86 dodge as often as I drive my nissan I'd get drawn and quartered at the gas pumps every time I filled up. For that reason I drive my dodge very sparingly but when it comes to certain jobs my nissan can't follow in its tire tracks! I'm done with Geico and ready to move on! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

P.S. I'm not a vet or married to one so companies like USAA are unfortunately not an option for me. I heard they are pretty highly rated for auto insurance.
I'm with AAA and I pay less then that for three vehicles full coverage.

busta

Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 AM

6,350 posts, read 21,576,048 times
Ed982, looks like it's definitely time to go insurance shopping. Guess those lizard ads are getting more expensive...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:12 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,254,529 times
I think there should be an insurance law that a company cannot charge for more cars than the number of licensed drivers who are listed on the policy. A single driver should pay a one-car rate, even if he owns ten cars, because he can never expose more than one of them to risk at any time, and will drive the same number of miles to the same destinations, no matter how many different cars he uses.

There is no justifiable reason to charge you a premium for the car you are driving, and another premium for the one sitting cold in your driveway.

If you try to change to another company, it will only save you for a year or two. They will lowball you, and within a couple of years, their rates will mysterious escalate right back up to Geico's rates. Which is what Geico is doing to you right now.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:02 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,071,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think there should be an insurance law that a company cannot charge for more cars than the number of licensed drivers who are listed on the policy. A single driver should pay a one-car rate, even if he owns ten cars, because he can never expose more than one of them to risk at any time, and will drive the same number of miles to the same destinations, no matter how many different cars he uses.
Hmmm, what happens if the said 10 cars are kept in a garage which burns down? Insurance isn't just for when the vehicles are being driven.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:50 AM

42,410 posts, read 87,254,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Hmmm, what happens if the said 10 cars are kept in a garage which burns down? Insurance isn't just for when the vehicles are being driven.
Obviously I was talking only about liability insurance, where there is virtually no exposure if the car is not in use. Liability and collision/comprehensive are two completely different products, subject to totally different applications of risk and regulatory standards, and issues of public safety.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:30 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,205,110 times
Seems like a trend lately in the industry. I frequent a LOT of automotive and motorcycle forums, and I swear each one has an active thread on this same topic right now.

Time to start shopping around. There's always someone cheaper out there.

Mike

Old 02-19-2011, 11:36 AM

77 posts, read 219,818 times
I have 2 cars, 49 years old, never any tickets or claims, I'm the only person on the policy, and pay about $90/mo. for liability with GEICO (no collision). I didn't think that was a great rate and have been looking elsewhere but the rates I've been quoted on are not much better.

You could always ask them why your rates have increased. They may be scoring you on some aspect of their risk, that you can change or correct.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,090,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I most states the hoeowners insurnace would cover the cars i such a sitaution if not insured, Just e sure and chaeck the total coberge amo t and the policy itself . I woud sugest that you insruance shop too as mnay times insurers will give a low first quote to get the policy. I would get my policy check teh coverage and then shop. Whe you shop look at all the poicy items and get what you need as its easy to cut cost by coverlig less in controlled staes or introductory cost to get the policy. One way to cut cost is if you can go a higher deductable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance