Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I'm with AAA and I pay less then that for three vehicles full coverage.

busta
I second this. AAA gave me the best rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think there should be an insurance law that a company cannot charge for more cars than the number of licensed drivers who are listed on the policy. A single driver should pay a one-car rate, even if he owns ten cars, because he can never expose more than one of them to risk at any time, and will drive the same number of miles to the same destinations, no matter how many different cars he uses.
I always wondered about this. At least for liability, we should be insuring the driver, not the car. Like you said, whether I have 1 car or 10 cars, I can only drive one at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Geico has to make money off someone. They are practicly giving free insurance to all their new customers. Ask for a steep roll back. If you don't get it it is very easy to switch. As a new customer you will get a great rate from pretty much any of them.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
Been with Geico for five years now. 45 years old with no tickets, no accidents, and no claims. Started out paying $128 a month for two cars. I'm the only person on the policy and the only one who drives these vehicles. My biggest rate hike came six months ago at $30. I opened my renewal notice this evening and found another $10 tacked on top of that.
I'm now paying $190 a month for the same policy/same two cars. Someone would say "Just get rid of one of the cars...problem solved!" Not that simple. There are things I need to do with my 1986 dodge pickup that my 2006 nissan xterra can't handle. But if I drove my '86 dodge as often as I drive my nissan I'd get drawn and quartered at the gas pumps every time I filled up. For that reason I drive my dodge very sparingly but when it comes to certain jobs my nissan can't follow in its tire tracks! I'm done with Geico and ready to move on! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

P.S. I'm not a vet or married to one so companies like USAA are unfortunately not an option for me. I heard they are pretty highly rated for auto insurance.
It could be that everyone's rates are going up in your state for whatever reason or another (change in laws/regulations, etc.) so you may not get ahead by switching insurance companies. I guess you'll know for sure when you shop around.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:27 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,686 times
Quote:
I think there should be an insurance law that a company cannot charge for more cars than the number of licensed drivers who are listed on the policy. A single driver should pay a one-car rate, even if he owns ten cars, because he can never expose more than one of them to risk at any time, and will drive the same number of miles to the same destinations, no matter how many different cars he uses.

There is no justifiable reason to charge you a premium for the car you are driving, and another premium for the one sitting cold in your driveway.

If you try to change to another company, it will only save you for a year or two. They will lowball you, and within a couple of years, their rates will mysterious escalate right back up to Geico's rates. Which is what Geico is doing to you right now.
This is the way it works for collector cars. If you have 50 cars that qualify you only pay one liability premium. There are restrictions of course.
I know the OP is not talking collector cars, but thought I'd throw this aspect of it out there.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM

100 posts, read 550,418 times
Are you in midtown Manhattan with 4+ DWI's ?

Quote:
Been with Geico for five years now. 45 years old with no tickets, no accidents, and no claims. Started out paying $128 a month for two cars. I'm the only person on the policy and the only one who drives these vehicles. My biggest rate hike came six months ago at $30. I opened my renewal notice this evening and found another $10 tacked on top of that.
I'm now paying $190 a month for the same policy/same two cars. Someone would say "Just get rid of one of the cars...problem solved!" Not that simple. There are things I need to do with my 1986 dodge pickup that my 2006 nissan xterra can't handle. But if I drove my '86 dodge as often as I drive my nissan I'd get drawn and quartered at the gas pumps every time I filled up. For that reason I drive my dodge very sparingly but when it comes to certain jobs my nissan can't follow in its tire tracks! I'm done with Geico and ready to move on! Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

P.S. I'm not a vet or married to one so companies like USAA are unfortunately not an option for me. I heard they are pretty highly rated for auto insurance.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,510 times
Quote:

That’s how all discount insurance companies work. They bring you in at a teaser rate and raise it every year until you cancel and for another company, to start the process over.

I have USAA and the only time a rate changes is when you get another car or change coverage.
Do you have a family member that is a Vet? They may be able to sponsor you to get you coverage.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
yep ;states regualate what can be charged . They also have to allow rates risng i reaction to higher claims to insure that insurnace companie sdo not leave their state. It is not illegal to give lower initial insurnace premiums either.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
That’s how all discount insurance companies work. They bring you in at a teaser rate and raise it every year until you cancel and for another company, to start the process over.

I have USAA and the only time a rate changes is when you get another car or change coverage.
Do you have a family member that is a Vet? They may be able to sponsor you to get you coverage.
I am on my 3rd year with Geico and my rate hasn't changed. I switched to save 65% over AAA.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:09 AM

469 posts, read 1,870,241 times
GEICO is just expensive. When I first started driving, I was put on my parents policy, and before they added me, they were paying like $50/month. Then once I was added, it shot up to $300+/month. Of course me being a new driver, that was to be expected.

Once I turned 21, I was still paying $300/month to GEICO. And I really didn’t know anything about shopping around for car insurance, so I just kept paying it. That was until one of my friends, who had more accidents and tickets than me (at the time I had no accidents are tickets since I started driving), told me how much she was paying at another company and I was floored! She was paying about $80/month and this is all for full coverage.

I went to State Farm, I went from paying $300+ to $100/month for the same coverage that I had at GEICO. A BIG relief on my pocket! Still with state farm today (I’m 23), and my rate went up a little, but went back down even lower to what I initially was paying.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:16 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Quote:

There is no justifiable reason to charge you a premium for the car you are driving, and another premium for the one sitting cold in your driveway.

If you try to change to another company, it will only save you for a year or two. They will lowball you, and within a couple of years, their rates will mysterious escalate right back up to Geico's rates. Which is what Geico is doing to you right now.
If the insured has comprehensive coverage on all the vehicles, then the insurance company is at risk for damages even when the vehicles aren't being driven. A parked car can get hit by an uninsured motorist, be subject to hail or weather damage, be vandalized, or be damaged by a fire from outside causes.

I had one car damaged by another that wasn't even being driven ... it was parked in a lot with a bit of ice on the surface; the other driver parked his car on a very slight slope and set the parking brake ... some time after he left, winds got the car moving and it slid down the lot about 100' (gathering momentum) before it hit my parked car. My Comprehensive coverage paid for the repairs.

So there's more risks covered than simply what can happen when a vehicle is being driven, and they are covered by insurance 24/7/365 ...

The OP needs to shop their insurance for a better deal. Even if they get into another company that does the same rate creep after a few years, then it's time to again shop their insurance. For most folks, it's not uncommon to do a rate check with other companies about every three years. It's worth the time to do a few phone calls ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance