Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 03:53 PM

251 posts, read 951,226 times

Advertisements

I may be about to buy a car from a private party. The car is registered in Florida. I already have insurance on another car that will be sold as soon as possible. Do I need to buy insurance for my new car before I buy the car or do I have a small grace period to change over insurance.

Also how do I go about getting a license plate for this car ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,206 times
Buy the car and get a bill of sale and/or title. You can usually transfer the title on the old title. The state prefers to see the title.
Notify your insurance agent or company about the new car.
Go to the county offices and pay taxes.
Go to the SCHD and get your tag. The state allows 45 days to get the registration and you need proof of insurance and payment of taxes.

To be perfectly safe do all the above before driving the car.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Call your agent and ask! Ours covers us in anything we drive and allows 3 days (with coverage) an a purchase. Even then we have only to fax him the
bill of sale with vin # and they send a bill in a few weeks.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM

Thank you

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Our Ins. Co. allows us a 36 hr grace period...But I sure want to press it, if "something" should happen with the car. We always have it fully insured before driving.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
My insurance company gives me a 48-hour grace period. Your mileage may vary. There's really no reason not to call them up once you buy it and say "here's the VIN # on the car I just bought, start covering it as of now if you would be so kind."

Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the answers so far, out of curiosity legally what would the implications be if my brother, the seller, would let me "borrow" the car for a few weeks while I get the money together ?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witton View Post
Thanks for the answers so far, out of curiosity legally what would the implications be if my brother, the seller, would let me "borrow" the car for a few weeks while I get the money together ?
That would depend on the terms of your respective policies. Does his policy cover people "borrowing" his car? If so, great. Does your policy cover "borrowing" other people's cars? If so, great.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
The risk is on the registered owner, tho it would be NICE if your policy extended to all vehicles you drive (you can get usually extended coverage for that).

Insurance and titling / registration is a STATE specific question, and since we don't know your state, we don't know much.

http://www.theautoinsurance.com/why-you-should-never-loan-your-vehicle-to-a-friend/ (broken link)

Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM

34 posts, read 145,921 times
The buyer and seller should both go to the tag office. There the seller will sign the title in front of one of the clerks and show his driver's license as proof of ID, you pay him for the car, then the tag office will charge you sales tax and a charge to transfer the title and purchase a tag. You will leave with a new registration and a new tag. Florida no longer issues titles, they keep the info on the computer. You can get the piece of paper if you pay extra. Simple and easy if you got all the money. Call your insurance and tell them you just bought the car and they will tell you you are covered. Then drive to the insurance office so they can see the car, maybe take a photo of it and then they will give you a revised policy. Then you pay them. You do it different than that, you may be taking a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance