Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Allstate Drivewise worth it or not?
It's totally worth it. It saves you money. 2 9.09%
No, don't put that spyware in your car. Just pay the full rates. 8 36.36%
No, find another company that doesn't make you put spyware in your car. Please specify below. 10 45.45%
I don't know, just let me see the results. 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:50 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,703,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
A few weeks ago I bought a new insurance policy from Allstate. I was pretty happy with the rates, but when I was ready to sign the policy the agent sprung it on me that I was agreeing to install a Drivewise device in my car. I decided to go ahead and give it a try, because I need to save the money on my insurance. But I'm not happy about the privacy issues, and honestly it sounds like a rip off to me. I'm skeptical that it will save me any money.

So what is everybody's opinion of Drivewise. Do you have it? Is it worth it or not? If it's not worth it, should I just pay the higher rates with Allstate or find another insurance company? What would be a good insurance company that I can get good rates and not have to install any spy devices in my car?
I also got one and returned it to allstate next renewal they said my rate went up 150.00. I had a quote from Liberty Mutual cheaper and no spy stuff so I did a switch to them for a year policy.

Last edited by maggiekate; 05-16-2015 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 02:43 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,037,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
At least with Progressive's rating system (which is the same device, measuring the same data, calculating the same metrics, but perhaps weighted differently or with different cutoffs), I didn't need to drive like a grandma. A quick back of envelope calculation says you need to go from 0-60 in 7.5 s or greater to avoid triggering an acceleration event. In normal traffic, I don't see how that would be an issue. You're probably already stuck behind a Prius that takes twice that long to get up to 60 anyway.
I'm driving a Honda Civic. I don't think it will go 0 - 60 - in 7.5 seconds even with the peddle all the way to the floor. My old Honda CRX would have been triggering that event all the time.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
I also got one and returned it to allstate next renewal they said my rate went up 150.00. I had a quote from Liberty Mutual cheaper and no spy stuff so I did a switch to them for a year policy.
Thats what I'm thinking I'll probably do too. What was your experience when you had the device?

Old 05-17-2015, 09:47 AM

42,854 posts, read 26,322,713 times
I wouldn't get one, there are too many crazy drivers where I live, so it's inevitable that I have to brake hard, or accelerate quickly to avoid an accident..thanks, but no thanks! I have USAA and no spy devices are required and the rates are very good

Old 05-17-2015, 10:55 AM

17,351 posts, read 22,090,465 times
FYI- cars built 1995 and prior don't have the OBD capability that this device needs......

I would love to do the Progressive program, install it in a 2nd car, drive it sparingly and get the discount. Then go back to driving it like I stole it!

Old 05-17-2015, 11:09 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,703,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Thats what I'm thinking I'll probably do too. What was your experience when you had the device?
they sent it to me without me asking and I never put it into the car and they kept sending me emails I was afraid that check engine light would come on so I just mailed it back. six months late I get the 150.00 rate increase so said bye Allstate

Old 08-16-2015, 02:29 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,535,934 times
Allstate can come across as very inefficient. The device does not fit in my 2014 Focus properly without interfering with the brake. So I as well as the agent decided to remove it. Lost the discount immediately. Now 6 months later I have my renewal with a $100 increase. I would not recommend getting the device with Allstate. By the way the agent told me now that device, must be in the car indefinitely to keep the discount.

Does anyone know of a cheaper company in Florida besides Allstate. I have asked for quotes from so many? The rates are out of sight in this state? Liberty Mutual is the highest and most ridiculous.

So my suggestion is forget placing the device in your car for a cheaper rate. It's just not worth it, unless you don't mind a camera watching your driving all the time. I honestly don't think you can win with Allstate's version of it. Everyone I spoke to told me, they just could not please Allstate with their driving. Of course not its a ripoff program.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:46 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,322,713 times
If you can get USAA go for it, if not try Dairyland, Safeco or Liberty Mutual. I will never put one of those gadgets in my car, I'm not going to start second guessing whether or not I should brake hard and get in an accident because I decided not to, in order to preserve my discount

Old 08-17-2015, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the new responses. To update this. I had problems getting the device into the data port, so I had to have a mechanic help me with it. As a result I was one week late installing the device. Allstate sent me a notice that they were dis-enrolling me in Drivewise, and they billed me an extra $50. That is the second undisclosed extra fee that I have gotten from them. In addition to that the agent is now sending notices that I have to go online and re-enroll in some other discount program, to keep that discount. I'm not even sure what thats about and I don't care. I'm not going to do it. Do they really expect people to jump through all these hoops just to have insurance from them?

Anyway I will be looking for new insurance for my next term. I'm thinking about checking out AAA.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,664,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
FYI- cars built 1995 and prior don't have the OBD capability that this device needs......

I would love to do the Progressive program, install it in a 2nd car, drive it sparingly and get the discount. Then go back to driving it like I stole it!

I tried that with Progressive, because I only put about 500-1000 miles a year on a car, but made the mistake of telling them that, and they wouldn't send it to me, I didn't "qualify" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance