Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,932,831 times

Advertisements

So I wrecked my truck. It was my fault.

Question is, is it totaled? I keep hearing about this 80 percent rule / threshold. If my front end is damaged, frame is bent, airbag deployed....will it be totaled?

If the value is 26k...that means ins company will only total it if the repairs exceed 20k!?!?!

But the frame is bent and it has a good bit of front end damage. Will I be stuck with this truck? It may never be the same, and of course I will never get trade in value for it now once I trade it in down the road...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:57 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Glad you are here posting after a wreck that caused a good amount of damage.

Let your body shop and the insurance company adjuster worry about it

If the truck can't be certified as being road safe, then it will be totaled. They need to get the vehicle in like condition to the pre-wreck state.

Use a reputable shop and stay communicative during the claim process and take it from there.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Thx. Just got the figures. 17k in damage. Apparently fixable, not a total loss.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Do they cover depreciation too?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:45 PM

14,481 posts, read 20,667,037 times
Quote:
So during the repairs you will possess the title before and after?
$17K is alot of damage. What assurances will you have that the vehicle is safe as far as the frame? What happens when you want to sell it to me and I let my mechanic look at it and he informs me of all the "unseen" damages from a wreck back in August 2016?

As far as the 80% I believe it varies state to state. In our state it is not 80% but 75%. If the cost to fix it is 75% or more above the Kelly blue book value (be it used or a like new vehicle with a few thousand miles on it) then it is totaled.
However they can make mistakes. Such that a vehicle is totaled when it should not have been.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Do they cover depreciation too?

No

Old 08-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
$17K is alot of damage. What assurances will you have that the vehicle is safe as far as the frame? What happens when you want to sell it to me and I let my mechanic look at it and he informs me of all the "unseen" damages from a wreck back in August 2016?

As far as the 80% I believe it varies state to state. In our state it is not 80% but 75%. If the cost to fix it is 75% or more above the Kelly blue book value (be it used or a like new vehicle with a few thousand miles on it) then it is totaled.
However they can make mistakes. Such that a vehicle is totaled when it should not have been.
In FL it's 80%. So I've got roughly 17k in damage. Truck is worth probably 25k. But now I've been told the truck is worth probably 15k (after fixed) with all the damage it has. So yeah, I'm not happy.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

I wil have no assurance that the bent frame is back to normal. All they can say is that they've fixed frames before. Doesn't ease my mind. But what can I do but just vent on here I suppose.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:11 PM

376 posts, read 500,494 times
Quote:
I wil have no assurance that the bent frame is back to normal. All they can say is that they've fixed frames before. Doesn't ease my mind. But what can I do but just vent on here I suppose.
It sucks but it is what it is. When I totaled my 2013 mustang Geico paid out 19K, im still dealing with the fallout (crazy high rates, $200 a month for a 2015 Jetta...) and that was over 2 years ago. My rates more than doubled and I was transferred to some Geico plan that they have to offer by law to people with high risk per insurance laws in NC.

I would have asked to have the truck totaled, usually when its that close the claims adjuster can help out. After all, you'll be stuck with it for years and the resale value will be garbage.

Live and learn, but you might want to start shopping for cheap insurance since the rates are about to get real bad.

Last edited by juggar; 09-27-2016 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance