Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 10:01 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,573,853 times

Advertisements

Welp! Seems Progressive ? is seeking about $11,000 from me. They paid the "Plaintiff" already.

Problem there? Is... THEY GOT THE WRONG GUY. I was not involved in a motor vehicle accident, much less a hit and run.

They claim a 2012 Hyundai Elantra sustained $10,000+ worth of damage from a "rear end collision" and the driver fled the scene.

The way MY name and information got involved in it, was, that my license plate was stolen. (Who even knows, maybe someone gave a wrong plate number of a fleeing car. We don't know.)

The lawsuit !!!! Is against "Myself, John Doe, and ABC Corportation."

I still have a few days left to file a Certification of Good Cause. I don't even know what that is.

What, or how, do I "file" that? What "form?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
What you do is you turn the lawsuit over to whatever auto insurance company you had on the date of the alleged accident.

There should be a toll free phone number for claims in your policy papers.

Call NOW and report this.

Get the name of a claim rep, claim number, phone number and find out how and where to fax or email the papers.

You should have done this the minute you were served the papers.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
What you do is you turn the lawsuit over to whatever auto insurance company you had on the date of the alleged accident.

There should be a toll free phone number for claims in your policy papers.

Call NOW and report this.

Get the name of a claim rep, claim number, phone number and find out how and where to fax or email the papers.

You should have done this the minute you were served the papers.
The license plates were stolen off of my vehicle that was parked in my backyard with the engine out and as such had no insurance on it. (Again, if the right license plate was even reported in whatever they allege happened.)

Nothing happened in Municipal Court the tickets were dismissed I took a plea to one of the slew of tickets I received in the mail to make it go away.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:25 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Welp! Seems Progressive ? is seeking about $11,000 from me. They paid the "Plaintiff" already.

Problem there? Is... THEY GOT THE WRONG GUY. I was not involved in a motor vehicle accident, much less a hit and run.

They claim a 2012 Hyundai Elantra sustained $10,000+ worth of damage from a "rear end collision" and the driver fled the scene.

The way MY name and information got involved in it, was, that my license plate was stolen. (Who even knows, maybe someone gave a wrong plate number of a fleeing car. We don't know.)

The plate should not have been on a car with no engine.
Not sure where you are but in our state when you take a car off the road and transfer the insurance to another vehicle you turn the plate in to DMV and get a refund on property taxes that are left in the year.

When was the date in the past when you should have turned the plate in to DMV or reported to the police that your tag was stolen.

Can they win the lawsuit in your opinion?
Go to the police station and get a copy of all your traffic records. That should prove that you have not been in an accident. If your records show an accident that may have happened during this hit and run then you should be able to get all the details on the accident report about the driver who got hit, etc.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:01 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
The license plates were stolen off of my vehicle that was parked in my backyard with the engine out and as such had no insurance on it. (Again, if the right license plate was even reported in whatever they allege happened.)
Then you will have to defend yourself.

You haven't said where you are but in most states $10000+ is beyond the small claims limit.

Follow the instructions on the summons. You'll probably need to file a written answer with the court denying all the allegations. There are guides on the internet about how to do that.

That starts the discover period where you can obtain documents directly from the plaintiff's attorney.

What state are you in?

And who or what is ABC Corporation?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:

Nothing happened in Municipal Court the tickets were dismissed I took a plea to one of the slew of tickets I received in the mail to make it go away.
To be honest, I think your totally effed. You took a plea. That means that you admitted to it. You now have to prove that you weren't driving and that the car wasn't on the road.

Actually, they have to prove that it was you driving the car, which is easy, since you plead guilty on one of the slew of tickets.

You are going to have to prove you were somewhere else at the time of the accident, travelling, at work, in school, SOMETHING.

I think you really need to pony up and hire a lawyer. A good one. And call your insurance company if you were insured on another vehicle at the time, if they've had the same insurance for you...

The whole thing gets hard when you have to prove a negative, (prove that it wasn't you, prove that it wasn't your car...) you should lean a lot harder on your insurance company.

What do all the reports say? Was it your stolen tag from a red Ford Pickup truck that was on a white Toyota sedan? Or did they steal your tags because it matched the car in question?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:06 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

I still have a few days left to file a Certification of Good Cause. I don't even know what that is.

What, or how, do I "file" that? What "form?"

If you know the license plate # can you go to your state's DMV and request info to see who that plate is registered too? I know in Ct you can do this for a $15 fee.

If the plate comes back to someone else and not your car seems like case closed to me. $15 to defend yourself sounds like a bargain instead of hiring a lawyer.

However, I would think the insurance company suing you is smart enough to have done this step themselves and still think its worth pursuing based on the info they found.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:46 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you know the license plate # can you go to your state's DMV and request info to see who that plate is registered too? I know in Ct you can do this for a $15 fee.

If the plate comes back to someone else and not your car seems like case closed to me. $15 to defend yourself sounds like a bargain instead of hiring a lawyer.

However, I would think the insurance company suing you is smart enough to have done this step themselves and still think its worth pursuing based on the info they found.
It was a hit and run. The only way they traced it back to him was the license plate. Presumably, someone had the plate number and the police ran it and included it in the report.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It was a hit and run. The only way they traced it back to him was the license plate. Presumably, someone had the plate number and the police ran it and included it in the report.
Or gave a wrong plate number that just so happened to be mine, but, yes. This is the situation I am dealing with!

The stuff they served my Mom (not me.. sewer service) says "Bergen County NJ" which is really confusing since the alleged victim lives in Bloomfield (which is Essex County) and I live in neither one of those two. The paperwork indicates filing a "Certification of Good Faith" if I do not agree with the "Track" of the case, which it gives as 2 and 4.

What is a "Certification Of Good Cause?" I want to file it.

I also may have to file an answer denying it all, attach MY stolen plate police report
In the CIS? and a letter to the court indicating that it was not me that did this.

?

Old 09-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

It is one of two things... either they are mad that they had to pay the defendant over a scam lawsuit and now they're just trying to get their money back (which is most likely since it's really not possible to get $10,000 in damages on a 2012 Hyundai Elantra from what they described as a rear end collision and then give no further detail and their complaint . Someone got over on this insurance company about that price) ... or. They are simply trying to get paid just for the sake of getting paid

Counter claim ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance