Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:09 PM

155 posts, read 377,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
jbless, unless your Mom is in some sort of crisis, like unbearable chest pain; shortness of breath; inability to speak; etc., the ER is not the place to be. You stated earlier that Mom wasn't having symptoms, so no reason to take her to an Emergency Room.

It can be frightening to hear that someone we love has a "condition" that could be serious but it is prudent to consider that until now, you didn't even know she had such a "condition" and that if it was urgent, the doctor would have sent her immediately to the hospital.

If a problem develops before she sees the cardiologist, you should call the family doctor to determine if she needs immediate care such as the ER or hospital admission. I know it's hard to wait for an actual diagnosis, but it's important to remember that countless people have A-fib that is successfully controlled with oral medication.

Try to be calm, both for your sake and for Mom's. Not much point in worrying until you know what you're worrying about. I'll say a prayer that you and Mom can get through this with very little anxiety.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 PM

155 posts, read 377,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I agree with everything you've said, but just wanted to point out that Mom has 2nd degree AV block, not atrial fib. Horse of a different color.

Nevertheless, Mom does not need to go to the ER unless she faints or otherwise displays symptoms that might suggest her AV block is greater than initially thought.
The cardiologist is Chief of Cardiology at Baylor Medical yet he is not FACC designated. I am trying to check out how to get an Electrophysiolgist Cardiologist who is FACC with a quicker appointment in the Dallas area. The referral for cardiology the PCP gave is in a small town without adequate hospitalization facilities.

Sorry for the slow replies. I sprained my finger trying to pick up a ball for a kid.

Mom saw PCP today and he says she can wait til end of October for appointment.

Just want cardiologist who is FACC. We will be looking. Thanks.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM

131 posts, read 260,665 times
My mother-in-law has had this for years, and she’s still bouncing around at 93. Her medicine is two 325mg aspirin tablets every day. Some things are best not to overly worry about, some people do nothing for their health and live to 100, others spend and try everything , then die in their 60’s.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM

41 posts, read 64,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbless View Post
Hello. After reading this forum, I learned two things: (1) Be thankful that I am caring for an overall healthy mom (2) The more I take care of my mom's health and make sure she eats and exercises the better of both of us will be in life.

This Wednesday, I brought my mom to my doctor and let her leave the strictly "traditional" doctors who are not holistic. My doctor in Rockwall, Texas is the best! He explained to my mom how to address all her aliments such as osteoporosis, arthritis and pancreatic cysts with BOTH natural and traditional medical solutions.

During the evaluation, the doctor discovered my mom who is 73 has heart arrhythmia.

Does any one know what this is and what is best to ask the Cardiologist at the appointment? Where on the forum or other forums is best to put the heart question?

(Note: I just started bringing my mom to my doctor because her insurance is not accepted at his office. This week I made a decision to pay the extra money and the doctor gave my mom first class service.)

Thanks in advance.
The heart arrhythmia is an irregular heart beat. My mother had it. She lived to be 92 y/o. She should be on an aspirin. Also, they placed her on meds to regulate her heart beats.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:12 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autum50 View Post
The heart arrhythmia is an irregular heart beat. My mother had it. She lived to be 92 y/o. She should be on an aspirin. Also, they placed her on meds to regulate her heart beats.
Arryhthmia as such is not always a problem, unless there are complicating factors. Just saying. Don't agree or disagree with "she should be on aspirin", it varies.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop22 View Post
My mother-in-law has had this for years, and she’s still bouncing around at 93. Her medicine is two 325mg aspirin tablets every day. Some things are best not to overly worry about, some people do nothing for their health and live to 100, others spend and try everything , then die in their 60’s.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving