Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 11:17 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's home improvement if it's her home, but it's not, it's daughter's home. Paying for home improvements in someone else's home even if you live there is giving them a gift. I said in every post the stairlift would be fine. But OP doesn't want a stairlift, she wants to put a deck off the second story bedroom where mom stays, then put in a ramp connecting that second story deck to the ground so they can get her to a car I guess. But because of the ratio required, a ramp for a 15-foot high deck would need to be 180 feet long. Between the deck and ramp she is looking at $30,000 to over $50,000 (or more with the lumber shortage right now), which mom offered to pay for. While the stairlifts combined (one inside/one outside) would be $5000-$10,000 at most. THAT I think Medicaid would be fine with, and it makes the most sense since the deck/ramp combo can only get mom outside, not to the first floor of the house, while the stairlifts would do both. I don't think you can tell Medicaid it was medically necessary to have mom pay for a deck outside the bedroom of daughter's house.

I understand the process, my mother was in her ALF on Medicaid for the last 6 of the 9 years she was there.
Good point about paying for improvements to someone else’s home, not your own.

I suggest to anyone considering a ramp to try it out somewhere first if possible. A friend was going to do a ramp for an elderly parent but, on the advice of the doctor, did a practice run on a similar ramp in length. She found it very difficult to push the wheelchair the distance needed on the incline by herself.

That was in good weather, not even dealing with rain, ice or snow. The ramp was also not nearly as long as what the OP is talking about. Just be aware of your own capabilities in all kinds of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 01:08 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Good point about paying for improvements to someone else’s home, not your own.

I suggest to anyone considering a ramp to try it out somewhere first if possible. A friend was going to do a ramp for an elderly parent but, on the advice of the doctor, did a practice run on a similar ramp in length. She found it very difficult to push the wheelchair the distance needed on the incline by herself.

That was in good weather, not even dealing with rain, ice or snow. The ramp was also not nearly as long as what the OP is talking about. Just be aware of your own capabilities in all kinds of weather.
Those are excellent points. My mother needed a wheelchair the last year or two of her life. I was only in my 30s and was in excellent shape (exercised multiple times per week, etc.) at the time. It was extremely difficult for me to maneuver the wheelchair up even very short ramps. And, I still have nightmares about the time that I took my mom to visit her sister (in a nursing home) on a snowy day in winter. And, I even had another relative helping me push and maneuver the wheelchair.

Old 08-07-2021, 03:18 PM

166 posts, read 156,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
You clearly have absolutely no understanding of how social security works or the purpose of public education, from that ^^^ post. To suggest that either program is REMOTELY similar to Medicaid -- which is meant to cover the poorest among us -- is breathtakingly stupid. (Note, I am NOT calling you stupid -- just your comparison.)

Clearly you are disappointed that you may not get an inheritance because, g-d forbid, your parents have to spend their own money on their own care, leaving less for you. OR you may GET an inheritance but actually have to pay taxes on it, since your parent(s) did not have to pay taxes on the money when they set it aside. Again: the sense of entitlement is rather breathtaking.
Please stop with the attacks. That was an example of de-railing the thread where bluejayz asked you to be respectful by showing opinions are like armpits. We all have opinions, please tone yours down as Bluejayz and I request, and cease the character assasinations and accusations

Assigning imagined ill motives to others who disagree is sidetracking the issues we are to be discussing.

This is called financial planning and there are Attorney's dedicated to such. So let the convo proceeed please. Thank you ahead of time.
Property taxes are derived from us PROPERTY OWNERS. This is the majority of funding for Public Education. As correctly stated by BlueJays, This is our TAX DOLLARS at work. Just as OUR TAX Dollars are at work via Medicaid. Medicaid is a Joint program between States & the Federal Govt-who contributes about 50% of the funding. Again, tax dollars from us taxpayers

My parents didn't feel right about using Taxpayer dollars to fund my education so I attended Private School growing up. They had no issue using Medicaid to cover some of my healthcare growing up. Both parents volunteered at my private school (Mom was a Teachers Aide also, employed p/t) to pay my tuition. Do you realize the cost of public education per child? Dad worked for UPS. My parents paid NOTHING for healthcare but there was a fee for the children if I recall correctly. At some point, he paid it. Yet we were low income enough to qualify for medicaid.

Public education is important sure (via taxpayer dollars) but Medicaid funding (via taxpayer dollars) is a MORE important program. This is obvious. I suggest YOU learn these programs instead then wait to comment with something you can positively contribute to the topic which will probably get closed anyway. If you used public education for your children, then you need to realize someone may use taxpayer dollars for another tax payer program just as you did.

Last edited by OnProbation; 08-07-2021 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-07-2021, 03:40 PM

166 posts, read 156,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Yes, the RMD age was raised to 72 and RMDs were waived for 2020. There will also be a new actuarial table for RMS calculations beginning in 2022, with most people having to withdraw a 5-7% lesserer amount than the current tables.

The changes to inherited IRAs and 401ks, etc. was that anyone who inherits one of the tax deferred retirement accounts has to take the balance within 10 years after death of the decedent. Withdrawals were previously based on the age of the beneficiary.
Most likely RMD age will be raised to 75 under Biden. This has bi-partisan support. When RMD's start, I assume the percentages forced to withdraw will be increased. This will inevitably allow an additional small percentage of folks to qualify for medicaid for longer

Last edited by OnProbation; 08-07-2021 at 03:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving