Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2021, 09:20 PM

29 posts, read 20,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Can you please explain why it "stinks" that your father's estate was used to pay for his own care? Obviously you wanted him to leave you money (from your recent posts AND at least one of your old ones from 2015, post #26 in this thread), which means it stinks for YOU personally because you didn't get the inheritance you wanted, and I understand that, but there's never a guarantee of that.

I think it would stink MORE for TAXPAYERS to have to pay for his care because he left his kids an inheritance. Can you please explain why taxpayers should have had to pay for his Medicaid so that you could be left money? I'm not being sarcastic in asking that; I've just asked it several times and no one who has this complaint ever seems to answer it.

=====

ETA: I see that other posters asked you the same questions from your earlier posts (from years ago). You didn't answer then, either. No one ever does.
They probably don't answer you because as you've stated, it's been asked already so you should've checked first -AND- you are being rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I am very sorry about your mother, but your question has nothing to do with this thread. Please start your own thread and I expect that knowledgeable posters will reply.
be nice

Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,744,714 times
Quote:
I am very sorry about your mother, but your question has nothing to do with this thread. Please start your own thread and I expect that knowledgeable posters will reply.
With all due respect, my question does pertain to this thread, but I made a mistake and typed Medicare instead of Medicaid. Medicaid will cover a variety of in home services and supports to promote aging in place. My question pertained to whether the long term care giving I did would count for anything in mom's favor regarding her eligibility for Medicaid. Additionally, i was wondering if the five year look back comes into play for home care or just nursing home care.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Can you please explain why it "stinks" that your father's estate was used to pay for his own care? Obviously you wanted him to leave you money (from your recent posts AND at least one of your old ones from 2015, post #26 in this thread), which means it stinks for YOU personally because you didn't get the inheritance you wanted, and I understand that, but there's never a guarantee of that.

I think it would stink MORE for TAXPAYERS to have to pay for his care because he left his kids an inheritance. Can you please explain why taxpayers should have had to pay for his Medicaid so that you could be left money? I'm not being sarcastic in asking that; I've just asked it several times and no one who has this complaint ever seems to answer it.

=====

ETA: I see that other posters asked you the same questions from your earlier posts (from years ago). You didn't answer then, either. No one ever does.
Medicaid planning and protecting assets is legal (ask any elder care/estate planning attorney), so any asset maneuvering the law allows the future Meidcaid recipient to do to keep his assets out of the government's hands is the smart move.

Last edited by wp169; 06-14-2021 at 10:14 PM..

Old 06-14-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
With all due respect, my question does pertain to this thread, but I made a mistake and typed Medicare instead of Medicaid. Medicaid will cover a variety of in home services and supports to promote aging in place. My question pertained to whether the long term care giving I did would count for anything in mom's favor regarding her eligibility for Medicaid. Additionally, i was wondering if the five year look back comes into play for home care or just nursing home care.
If it's ok, can I ask what your Mothers income is? Is your father alive?

I am doing some research. It appears you may be able to get paid to care for your mother but her assetts & resources will be the determining factor.

There are these things called ADL's in which you need to have a certain number of these issues also to qualify. In Calif, the look back period only applies to Nursing Home medicaid, not home care. Since Medicaid is a Federal Program, it is likely similar but I'll keep researching

Old 06-14-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay10 View Post
If it's ok, can I ask what your Mothers income is? Is your father alive?

I am doing some research. It appears you may be able to get paid to care for your mother but her assetts & resources will be the determining factor.

There are these things called ADL's in which you need to have a certain number of these issues also to qualify. In Calif, the look back period only applies to Nursing Home medicaid, not home care. Since Medicaid is a Federal Program, it is likely similar but I'll keep researching
Thanks. Mom just gets SS, my father passed. I just started to look into funeral pre-arrangement and others things she can spend her remaining money on. Actually, I have been "Medicaid planning" for Mom for years now, I even bought her home in 1999 to protect her, and she is still going strong at 92 years old and we haven't needed in home medical care for her yet, I care for her, that's the best way.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Mom just gets SS, my father passed. I just started to look into funeral pre-arrangement and others things she can spend her remaining money on. Actually, I have been "Medicaid planning" for Mom for years now, I even bought her home in 1999 to protect her, and she is still going strong at 92 years old and we haven't needed in home medical care for her yet, I care for her, that's the best way.
You should get a week off, you'd need to call some senior resource to find out how. All I know is it is not income based and believe it is a Federal Program. So nice of you to care for your Mom.

Regarding our IHSS, it was pretty messed up but is fixed now. It allows someone who is over the limit to "spend down" to qualify for home care. A relative, friend whom-ever can be the in-home provider.

Sounds like you've learned plenty and can hold your own with this topic, good for you. From my research, every little dime given away is going to be tracked heavily by your state.

Keep this in mind- The Secure Act 2.0 will surely go thru. It had unanimous bi-partisan support sailing thru the Ways & Means committee. As it stands for typical medical (Non-Nursing home medical) a Traditional IRA/401k (not Roths) must be in Payout status. meaning must be taking RMD's. With the Secure Act 2.0, not sure how that will work since there are no required RMD's with balances under 100k. So the IRA/401k Traditional kind may count as an asset if there is no such thing as payout status. Hope not. Just wanted to mention this in case it applies to your Mom

Old 06-15-2021, 07:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Medicaid planning and protecting assets is legal (ask any elder care/estate planning attorney), so any asset maneuvering the law allows the future Meidcaid recipient to do to keep his assets out of the government's hands is the smart move.
Legal doesn't always make it right. Anytime, an older person has assets that could be used to pay for their medical care, I believe those assets should be used up before Medicaid should be expected to pay.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Legal doesn't always make it right. Anytime, an older person has assets that could be used to pay for their medical care, I believe those assets should be used up before Medicaid should be expected to pay.
Do you dislike Tax planning as much as you dislike Estate planning? Why, if you paid into the system and qualify, is this morally wrong?

Old 06-15-2021, 11:11 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Maybe I am headed for the same answer as WP169.
Since my wife now 85 has had dementia for the past 18 months and is handlng it pretty well.I have to cook,do wash etc.Her short term memory is one hundred percent zero.
I have printed out what to expect if it got to point of needing Medicaid with the state of Ct,they have a 5 year look back.
If I were to pass first she would lose my pension and Medicare Advantage,our savings are minimal,never thought she would get dementia and myself having had triple bypass,Cardioligist this past week said heart looks rock solid,quote,I am 88.
I would like to talk to elder care attorney but am afraid of being ripped off.We have no one left to talk to.
We have all paper work done and paid for funeral expense.
The attorney who did each of our wills said we will never need probate.
I do believe my wife if I pass first will need Medicaid help.
After this long story I was wondering what to expect for elder care attorney cost?
We paid $7000 for my mom simply for them to apply for Medicaid for us. My mom only had a house worth about $50,000 and some stocks about another $50,000. That was 10 years ago. I don’t think it was worth the cost to be honest. They didn’t do anything I couldn’t have done myself in hindsight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving