Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If you don't look at the future, you end up living in reactive mode, which is a terrible place to live.

And sorry, but this isn't your situation we're talking about and we don't know enough about the type of caregiving or the type of compensation for the live in caregiver to determine whether or not the situation is legal or ethical. That's why I was giving the OP those sources - to think through with her situation in mind and to be able to ask the agency about.
I have great faith in the OP based on her posts thus far that she will capably deal with any changes regarding her mother. The OP seems confident the situation is legal and ethical and I agree, which doesn't matter since that was not any part of her question to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 08:17 AM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Sure you could. If you didn't have a job and other obligations. The caree sleeps, so the carer can too. My mother did it.

She's not literally working 24/7. She's available 24/7.
Depending on the state, being on-call for an employer gives them a right to at least the state's minimum wage. For example, if I have employees working that average $25 an hour when working, but on weekends with large variability in demand I may have some working and some on call. During those hours they are on call but are not called, they get the minimum wage. If I call them in then they get their $25 an hour for at least 2 hours. If it pushes them into OT, then they get OT for the hours worked.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:44 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
My Uncle has 24/7 in home care....he pays $3750 every 2 weeks. The caregivers (they switch out every 3-4 days) have their own bedroom space (and luckily, their own bath!), and cook, clean and watch my Uncle who has dementia. He can still take care of his personal needs, thank goodness, so they keep the house going, and take him places...shop, cook, etc....
They do eat there, as well...I'd expect that.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
My Uncle has 24/7 in home care....he pays $3750 every 2 weeks. The caregivers (they switch out every 3-4 days) have their own bedroom space (and luckily, their own bath!), and cook, clean and watch my Uncle who has dementia. He can still take care of his personal needs, thank goodness, so they keep the house going, and take him places...shop, cook, etc....
This sounds more "do-able" to me - more than one caregiver so that the caregiver has some personal time completely off.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:46 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
A friend of mine used CNA's from an agency to care for her mom. She was using different ones for multiple shifts rather than live in, so I cant address that.

But, as others have mentioned, many of these CNA's are from third world countries.

She had issues with several of them that I will call cleanliness, hygiene, housekeeping related. For example, multiple times they jammed up plumbing doing things like putting food scraps down the toilet or tub instead of disposal/trash can. One "washed" paper plates to save money. Friend just happened to walk in and see the greasy paper plate draining in the dish rack.

I would be very specific from the beginning on everything it takes to run your mom's home. How everything works, etc. Also, expectations on cleanliness. Don't assume they know these things or have the same standards you have.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:44 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
This is the arrangement we had for my mom for the 2 years she lived following her stroke. It was suggested by the agency that provided the caregivers. The two ladies decided on their own schedule, usually 2 to 3 days on, then switched out. They had a private bedroom and bath that they shared, and were responsible for changing the linens when they switched. They would often bring their own food but there was always something available for them at the house, and when a family member came to do the grocery shopping, they were always asked if there was anything we could get for them. It was a pretty cushy arrangement for them because my mom was fairly easy and slept through the night. She needed constant help moving with a walker, bathing, etc, and food needed to be prepared and brought to her, but she could feed herself. They cleaned the common areas of the house, as well as their room and my mom's room. Off the record, they also did glucose meter checks several times a day. It worked well for us and my mom was able to stay in her home, which is what she wanted. Remarkably, the same two caregivers stayed for two years and I think a sub was only brought in 3 or 4 times, total. Having an easy client helped, but I think the schedule was also easy for them to work with, since they got time off that they could arrange themselves.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Fingers firmly crossed, but so far, things are working out wonderfully. My mother and her aide get along well, and the aide is making sure she gets up and moves often. She even took my mother grocery shopping this weekend( in a wheelchair) to let her decide what foods she wanted to eat. Now that she's home, my mother is sleeping through the night, which I'm sure makes things easier.

My mother sounds much more lucid on the phone, and much happier than she did in the rehab center.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Fingers firmly crossed, but so far, things are working out wonderfully. My mother and her aide get along well, and the aide is making sure she gets up and moves often. She even took my mother grocery shopping this weekend( in a wheelchair) to let her decide what foods she wanted to eat. Now that she's home, my mother is sleeping through the night, which I'm sure makes things easier.

My mother sounds much more lucid on the phone, and much happier than she did in the rehab center.
That's great news! Sounds like a great arrangement for all.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:59 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Nice! I really like her taking her to the grocery store. It's easier to just get what they want, but not always best for the person to do it that way.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:42 AM

2,298 posts, read 1,518,441 times
Just curious, who pays for the 24 hour care in the US? Government, insurance, person themselves, family? Is it the same situation in nursing homes?
Most people here find round the clock care at home unaffordable in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving