Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:01 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times

Advertisements

I have had clients who went home with a private caregiver. One person. 24/7/365.

It always works for a while. Eventually, though, the caregiver gets really bored or burned out or whatever you want to call it. And, there is always issues of family values and habits vs caregiver values and habits. At worst, the caregiver becomes more ingratiated to the person they are caring for and the family senses they are being pushed aside. Conflicts happen, resentments build, the person being cared for is in the middle, family has to make the hard decision to end the employment and the cycle begins with another.

But, yes, food is in addition to the $4000/mo costs. How else would one expect the caregiver to obtain food and eat? Whose menu? Can the caregiver entertain guests at the person's house? Can they go to family/friend events?

It is a common arrangement. It always works for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
On call time on premises has to be paid at at least the Federal minimum wage rate (could be higher depending on the state).
https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs53.htm

Old 09-29-2017, 03:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
For the amount you're paying, your mother could live in a really nice facility, and then she'd have activities and be able to socialize with other seniors. I know that's not what you were asking, but it's worth mentioning.

As far as the legality of your arrangement, I would assume the agency would be on the hook for any labor violations, rather than you being liable. Does the agency send another caregiver so yours can take a break now and then to run errands, go to the doctor, etc? Otherwise it seems like the arrangement would be impossible long-term.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:19 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,144,961 times
I'd be concerned relying on one person 24/7 as it's not realistic. Does this caregiver have family or friends who might want to come over? What happens if the caregiver gets sick or has an emergency? Caregiving services can provide 24/7 care with a rotation of caregivers which in my experience is better. Then you are not providing room and board either. My mother had one caregiver who was really good. In addition to caring for my mother she did all the cooking and cleaning for the entire house, including for my (rather helpless) elderly father. He had a hard time with strangers in the house at first but he got used to it and really started to rely on this caregiver. One day that caregiver told my dad she'd probably have to quit unless she got money to fix her car. My dad "loaned" her $3000. He was embarrassed to tell us but we understood how helpless he felt with the thought of having to start over with another stranger in his house. It's very easy for an elderly person to become overly dependent on one person for their care, and it can be traumatizing if something happens to that caregiver.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:48 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
And this is in the US?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Sure you could. If you didn't have a job and other obligations. The caree sleeps, so the carer can too. My mother did it.

She's not literally working 24/7. She's available 24/7.
I would absolutely do it for my mother, if, yes, I didn't work full-time. As it is, between myself and my siblings, she has had one of us there almost every day since she entered rehab. All of us live out of state.
But no, I couldn't do it for a stranger, as a way of making a living for myself. I have a lot of respect for those who can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I have had clients who went home with a private caregiver. One person. 24/7/365.

It always works for a while. Eventually, though, the caregiver gets really bored or burned out or whatever you want to call it. And, there is always issues of family values and habits vs caregiver values and habits. At worst, the caregiver becomes more ingratiated to the person they are caring for and the family senses they are being pushed aside. Conflicts happen, resentments build, the person being cared for is in the middle, family has to make the hard decision to end the employment and the cycle begins with another.

But, yes, food is in addition to the $4000/mo costs. How else would one expect the caregiver to obtain food and eat? Whose menu? Can the caregiver entertain guests at the person's house? Can they go to family/friend events?

It is a common arrangement. It always works for a while.
It isn't $4000/month, at least not to the family. It is $8000/month. We don't know exactly how much of that goes to the caregiver. We will pay a holiday rate and provide 2 weeks paid vacation. The aide we arranged for has been doing this for several years, most recently completing a 3 year position with an elderly man. She is from Africa, and may not have any family in the US, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
For the amount you're paying, your mother could live in a really nice facility, and then she'd have activities and be able to socialize with other seniors. I know that's not what you were asking, but it's worth mentioning.

As far as the legality of your arrangement, I would assume the agency would be on the hook for any labor violations, rather than you being liable. Does the agency send another caregiver so yours can take a break now and then to run errands, go to the doctor, etc? Otherwise it seems like the arrangement would be impossible long-term.
No. The place she was in for the past two months was far more expensive. The first month's bill ran over $15,000. We did look into a local assisted living facility where she has friends already, but she doesn't meet the required mobility.

There are substitute caregivers available if necessary.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
When my wife's Mom had dementia 10 years ago, we hired four Sri Lanka ladies who knew each other, off the books to take turns watching and caring for her 24x7. They worked 8 hour shifts and arranged the schedule among themselves.It cost us $6,000 a month. People we know hired live in Russian ladies also off the books for less than we paid because there was no dementia involved. When my aunt became an invalid, she was able to hire her daughter as a part time aide and it was paid for by medicare.
If your Mom's aide is 24x7 then she can't go home to eat, so it's likely you would pay for groceries for her and your Mom to be eaten at your Mom's place. It should be spelled out in your contract with the agency. At $2000 a week (168 hours) you are paying the agency about $12 an hour. I imagine the aide is getting maybe 2/3 of that. One thing you may want to consider is installing some hidden Nanny cams in your Mom's bedroom and public areas of the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We made the move, and brought my mother(91) home from rehab after 2 months. We've hired a live-in 24 hour CNA, through a well-regarded agency. The aide has her own room and bath. My mother has no senility issues, but she has limited mobility after falling and fracturing her back.

The aide will be paid through the agency, which charges about $2000/week. We do not know how much of that translates into the salary of the CNA. Today my brother said we are expected to provide a food budget for the aide, on top of the salary and room. Does anyone know if that's the norm, and if there are any other expenses we should plan for?

Old 09-29-2017, 07:18 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
It is not realistic to expect one person to be on call 24/7/365 - NO DAYS OFF per week?

The agency is probably violating federal and state laws.

In the end, it's just not smart - you may think you are "saving money," but at what ultimate cost?

It's highly unethical and in my mind, immoral.

The fact that you don't even know the person or know if they have family in the U.S. is also very telling.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:26 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
When my wife's Mom had dementia 10 years ago, we hired four Sri Lanka ladies who knew each other, off the books to take turns watching and caring for her 24x7. They worked 8 hour shifts and arranged the schedule among themselves.It cost us $6,000 a month. People we know hired live in Russian ladies also off the books for less than we paid because there was no dementia involved. When my aunt became an invalid, she was able to hire her daughter as a part time aide and it was paid for by medicare.
If your Mom's aide is 24x7 then she can't go home to eat, so it's likely you would pay for groceries for her and your Mom to be eaten at your Mom's place. It should be spelled out in your contract with the agency. At $2000 a week (168 hours) you are paying the agency about $12 an hour. I imagine the aide is getting maybe 2/3 of that. One thing you may want to consider is installing some hidden Nanny cams in your Mom's bedroom and public areas of the house.
I brought up the cameras to my siblings when we first discussed bringing her home. My brothers thought it would be too intrusive for us to have footage of my mother being undressed, etc. We compromised, by making sure the aide understood we expected her to help my mother video chat with us daily. And we do intend to keep up the regular visits, one brother is there now, another will go up next week.

I'm not comfortable not using an agency. At least we know there is backup if needed. But it is sobering to realize that weekly bill doesn't translate into much at all for the caregiver.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:43 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I brought up the cameras to my siblings when we first discussed bringing her home. My brothers thought it would be too intrusive for us to have footage of my mother being undressed, etc. We compromised, by making sure the aide understood we expected her to help my mother video chat with us daily. And we do intend to keep up the regular visits, one brother is there now, another will go up next week.

I'm not comfortable not using an agency. At least we know there is backup if needed. But it is sobering to realize that weekly bill doesn't translate into much at all for the caregiver.
Have you been able to find out how much of that 8K goes to her?

Old 09-29-2017, 07:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It is not realistic to expect one person to be on call 24/7/365 - NO DAYS OFF per week?

The agency is probably violating federal and state laws.

In the end, it's just not smart - you may think you are "saving money," but at what ultimate cost?

It's highly unethical and in my mind, immoral.

The fact that you don't even know the person or know if they have family in the U.S. is also very telling.
I don't think so. I mean, there are illegal and immoral situations where immigrants have their passports taken and have no agency, or an abusive, illegal 'agency' and the family is abusive, but a legit agency and a person for whom this works, nothing immoral about it.

The caregiver has no bills. At least not rent, utilities, all the things that come with renting a house or apartment.

The work is not constant. My mother was 'on call' for my brother 24/7/365. She still slept and did things for herself, etc.

IDK what happens in this case when caregiver needs to go to a Dr. appt or an errand or whatever. If the carree can never be left alone, that is the only part I wonder about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving