Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You have to give them time off or they won't last long. Never count on one person, too much can happen. You might be better off placing her or taking her to an easy living place. At least there would be changes in personal and people her age around.
There are substitute aides and this arrangement works as well for the caregiver as it does the caree in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 09:47 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backintheville2 View Post
It's a shame a family member can't be paid like that. Sure would make things easier for us in the long run. Food and board is fine, and I'm happy to be caring for my mom.

Like I say sometimes, "hardest job I ever had, for the least pay." But I understand life isn't fair.
There are programs, through Medicaid, that pay for full-time caregiving by a family member. I know a guy here in GA that was paid to care for his wife who was disabled. Check with your state's Aging Services or Medicaid office. The program used to be called "Cash and Counseling" or something like that. I believe the "patient" has to be eligible for Medicaid though.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
There are programs, through Medicaid, that pay for full-time caregiving by a family member. I know a guy here in GA that was paid to care for his wife who was disabled. Check with your state's Aging Services or Medicaid office. The program used to be called "Cash and Counseling" or something like that. I believe the "patient" has to be eligible for Medicaid though.
I've heard of that too. Pretty cool.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:02 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Thanks, my mom isn't on Medicaid, but I'll check into it and see if I can find out more.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:39 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
People, please stay on topic and do not attack each other nor engage in bickering. Numerous off-topic posts and personal attacks have been deleted.

The opening topic is about whether the OP should provide food for the 24/7 aide she has hired through an agency to care for her mother. Please focus on her question and don't question her decision to hire the aide. If more hijacking and personal attacks ensue, this thread will be closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Third party employers must pay at least the Federal minimum wage and overtime pay to all workers employed to perform domestic service employment, including workers who perform companionship services or are live-in domestic service employees.
There's a problem with this because the Federal minimum wage likely will clash with the state minimum wage laws. For example in California the minimum wage is $10.50 set to rise to $11.00 in 2018 while the Federal is $7.25 so expect to be responsible for paying the state wage.

Quote:
10.50 Jan. 1, 2017
11.00 Jan. 1, 2018
12.00 Jan. 1, 2019
13.00 Jan. 1, 2020
14.00 Jan. 1, 2021
15.00 Jan. 1, 2022

Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I have a friend that fought hard to stay in her home but the caregivers that were hired to help her stole from her.
If you are going to hire caregivers be prepared to keep a very close eye out.
This was very common with my father's neighbors in FL. It got so bad everyone was told if there are any valuables, like art, collectibles, jewelry in the home, take it out so it doesn't get stolen.

When my mother died, I was a child. We had 2 60+ year old ladies that lived with us at different times. They had their own rooms and private baths. No bills or utilities.
One got married and we replaced her with another. She & her hub stayed close to my dad and he went to their funerals. (I had moved away for college and didn't return to hometown. )They had no rent, neither drove so we'd all go to the grocery store together. We ate together, whatever they or my dad decided to fix. The Same table like a family. My brother would run errands with them, take them to doctors etc.

My grandma was dead, that is what they were like, a live-in grandma. They had Sundays off, got a vacation,
both were widows. I don't know what my dad was paying them but know he paid them. Saw him give them a check. And they were also getting SS.

When I got to be 17, I told my dad to sell this big house and buy a smaller one. I was to the age where more friends were hanging around and nicely teasing me about my 'servant'. As I'd come home from school with friends and she'd follow us around saying things like what do you want for dinner, I washed & pressed your uniform etc. I think she was just bored being in the house alone all day. The last one's health was getting bad and she moved in with her son.

A different time, late '60's to mid 70's.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:25 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,134 times
I was blessed with my Hispanic Housekeeper, she was caregiver for her Dad, he passed. She helped me for low amount but I always made sure to give her something, in her case, food for her family and Catholic trinkets I had no use for but she adored.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:52 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
I was blessed with my Hispanic Housekeeper, she was caregiver for her Dad, he passed. She helped me for low amount but I always made sure to give her something, in her case, food for her family and Catholic trinkets I had no use for but she adored.
That makes me sad.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
Not really a bad deal for the caregiver considering they don't have a to pay any rent, utilities, or groceries. I've known several older single women who have done this. Seemed to work well for them and the families they worked for. I'm sure the agency knows what it's doing as well as the caregivers when taking these types of positions.

Good for you being able to keep mom at home.

Do you happen to know how much these older single women were paid? I worked in the office for a home health care agency and the caregivers were paid around 12 an hour- the agency charged 25. They paid 14 hr for weekends because without the differential weekends were hard to cover. The area I live in is not a expensive place to live- about dead average in cost of living index for the US. It's also a college town with a lot of competition for entry level jobs because there are so many students looking for work. The going rate for agencies here is 12-13 hr w/ more for weekends. Some of our caregivers were Hispanic and of those some were not very fluent in English. Generally we got very good feedback from the clients they worked with. They were some of the better caregivers imo. So while fluency is preferred I don't think limited English is necessarily a problem. I understand that the extreme amount of work hours may be possible for some people but I what I can't understand is the pay this woman is receiving.

Last edited by heather12345; 11-04-2017 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving