Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2021, 06:49 AM

422 posts, read 336,116 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My FIL who is living with us would like a rollater. He walks with a cane quite well, but at night sometimes he feels a bit unsteady to get up and use the bathroom. He had one before, but gave it away... I know that he will need it more down the road, so I would like to get him one that is decent, but not break the bank.

Any suggestions for brand? Features? He is 90 and does walk well and likes to go to stores and such, so I need it to fold and be able to put in a trunk of a car.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 07:54 AM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
Physical therapist here. There is really very little difference between standard rollators. If you go to a medical supply store you will pay a premium. I'd look on Amazon instead and make sure that:
1) it has a pocket or basket
2) the weight is ok for you to lift
3) you can return it if you don't like it
4) read the 1-star reviews to find out what people complain about; there are too many fake 5-star reviews now for just about any product and I don't trust them anymore.

Last edited by 2nccoast; 01-24-2021 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 08:31 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
I think they're all made by the same manufacturer and sold by different brands, such as Drive Medical, Carex, Medline, etc. I would get one with only two wheels for indoor use so it doesn't roll away. We have two of these, one for each floor.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carex-Cla...d-40f7f1cdc16a

You can buy the golf balls, wheels, or other accessories also.

The above brand also has a version with curved bars and no wheels so he can use it to assist in standing up.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:09 AM

674 posts, read 608,241 times
In PT-speak, a rollator has 4 wheels and a seat:
https://www.amazon.com/rollator/s?k=rollator

A rolling walker has 2 wheels, like the one in Ichoro's post above.

A standard walker has no wheels, just 4 legs. Example:
https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medical...dp/B000MMC6EE/

OP - If you need a rolling walker or standard walker, check out thrift shops. You should be able to find one for $5 or so (vs $30-$60 new). Just make sure it's solid and sanitize it before using.
I used to work in a rural area with folks with very little disposable income. I would scour thrift shops and buy up the walkers, and give them out later to my patients who could not afford one.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Medicare may cover this as Durable Medical Equipment. Check his coverage.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:33 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Just FYI even when they fold they’re still rather large. My moms won’t fit in my trunk (4 door sedan) unless I take everything else out. She used the rollator in the apartment and we took a 2-wheeled walked when we went out.

You can see some models in most Rite Aid stores and see how well you can handle it to take out. They do go on sale there at times. We bought my moms on Amazon. Hers is petite cause she’s under 5 feet. Take height and weight into consideration if he’s outside average range for either. If you sign up for CVS Extra Care and emails they will send you coupons for 40% off one item online or in store and they have rollators on the website. If you sign up for Care Pass you’ll also get a $10 bonus each month and you can combine it with the 40% coupon too.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:44 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Medicare may cover this as Durable Medical Equipment. Check his coverage.
Yes you’re right it will be covered if he hasn’t had another walking device paid for by Medicare in the last three years, and he gets a doctors prescription.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:16 AM

6,455 posts, read 3,977,052 times
The one my mom had would fit in her 4-door mid-size sedan when folded; it went behind the front seat (this would work less well for someone tall with the seats all the way back; less "foot room" in the back for the walker to sit, and also if the hand grips are adjusted high). We could get it into my compacts as well, though it took more work, especially if not a sedan.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
Might also look at quad cane and hemi walker since primary use is bathroom. Those will be easier to get in and out of the bathroom while providing greater stability. His current cane could be modified with the quad cane attachment for a few dollars.

I think the rollator is the best choice for use outdoors since it allows him a place to rest.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:51 AM

130,230 posts, read 12,093,129 times
You can also check the senior centers, sometimes they have some to hand out to people who need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving