Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 11:21 AM

618 posts, read 938,416 times

Advertisements

Here is an unfortunate update. Good news my mom never gave this lady any money. Bad news is one of the lady's daughters went to cancun this weekend and get this, the lady is going there next week herself! I bet that is why she asked for the money. Incredible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 04:29 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
They are not real friends, they are taking advantage of a lonely old lady.
its no better than theft how low can some go.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
Here is an unfortunate update. Good news my mom never gave this lady any money. Bad news is one of the lady's daughters went to cancun this weekend and get this, the lady is going there next week herself! I bet that is why she asked for the money. Incredible

I'm not surprised to read that she's going to Cancun. That's a huge reason I don't lend people money, you don't know what they're really using it for. That's why I said, I'd pay the school directly if I did lend the money.

I run into people claiming they need food for their kids. I buy the food. I'll also drive them to the food banks.

I guess your mom is learning about these new "friends" of hers.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:28 PM

2,612 posts, read 927,568 times
Quote:
The good news is what matters. A lot of lowlife's out there happy to con someone out of some money without and qualms about it.

I once wrote up a little agreement between my mom's boyfriend and his sister so he would loan "her" money for her son's education. It was never paid back and was never used for the school (I forget the details but it became apparent that it was never used for its intended purpose). It was basically a con job to use the son to get her money to waste. People like that get satisfaction over the successful trick they pulled on you, they dont feel bad about it.

Old 02-04-2022, 08:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Those friendly people from the church probably have a whole list of elderly people they hit up for money on a regular basis. Have you mentioned this to the churches pastor? They need to be kept an eye on so they are not using other church members for money too. They need to be told that they are being watched for such behavior.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:21 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
I hope this is an eye-opener for your mom. Of course, on the one hand, it's offensive to wake up one day, and discover that you're a member of a class of people certain others deem to be an easy mark. OTOH, it's important to be aware of scam artists. Scammers are everywhere, including online, masquerading as "Apple" central repair people, or even SS Admin staff.

OP, your mother may not want to get involved to this degree, but after reading a recent post here, I'm thinking, that if she does report this activity to the pastor, she could be preventing future victimization of others. She should think of it that way. Really, who wants their church to become a field of operation for scam artists? Sure, she could switch churches, and that's not a bad idea, but if she does, she should tip off the pastor about this activity before she goes.

Old 02-12-2022, 08:17 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not surprised to read that she's going to Cancun. That's a huge reason I don't lend people money, you don't know what they're really using it for. That's why I said, I'd pay the school directly if I did lend the money.

I run into people claiming they need food for their kids. I buy the food. I'll also drive them to the food banks.

I guess your mom is learning about these new "friends" of hers.
Yep. If someone actually needs the money for what they claim, they should have absolutely zero problem with you paying the source directly. And doubtful that they can't claim embarrassment over the source knowing that they are in financial hardships, as the source most likely already knows. And even if the source doesn't know, a little "embarrassment" shouldn't prevent responsible folks from ensuring that they get food on the table for their kids or tuition paid.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:39 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Those friendly people from the church probably have a whole list of elderly people they hit up for money on a regular basis. Have you mentioned this to the churches pastor? They need to be kept an eye on so they are not using other church members for money too. They need to be told that they are being watched for such behavior.
I would definitely mention this to the church pastor.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:57 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
My mom moved from a different city to be closer to me. My 81 year old mom is disabled and can not really go anywhere. She was introduced to new friends through a mutual friend. They all belong to the same church and my mom then joined. One of her friends was my moms caregiver for a short period of time. So she asked her to borrow 2k. She said her husband is out of work and they need help paying their kids religious school and other things. The husband is retraining for a better career. I told her let's stall a bit since it is a large amount. Apparently my mom told her at one point in the past if she needed help she would help. But my mom was surprised by how much but thinks she is good for it. My mom agreed to stall but apparently got some negative reaction from a couple of the friends. They know she sold her house to move here and they figured out she has money because of it. This seems weird. The lady that needs help is in her 50s. Weird that she is asking an elderly disabled person for money. But if she needs help and can pay back, I just want to investigate. What do others think? Senior fraud so prevalent.
Those are not friends. Those are mooches. Distance, distance.

Old 02-20-2022, 11:40 AM

60 posts, read 44,099 times
My elderly sister is being badly used by a couple in her age range and their daughter half their age. Sister and brother in law clearly have/had dementia, along with multiple health issues - He was bedridden for the last few years of his life. Good income and their home should have been long paid for. He was found deceased during a welfare check a couple of years back.

Several years ago, I get a letter from my sister stating they had lost their home, were homeless, and it was all my fault. No phone number or forwarding address. Police performed a welfare check and confirmed the home was empty. Immediately drove down and spent 6 days in a local hotel while I attempted to figure out what had happened.

Neighbors claimed to know nothing. Police claimed to know nothing. City property records office sent me PDF documents by email showing the timeline of the foreclosure, eviction and auction, including all principals involved. I pulled copies of their credit reports - someone had clearly taken advantage of them, but who?

The property management company who bought the home at auction didn't want to speak to me originally. They were the sole bidders, who resold the home for 3.5 times the auction price, after heavy rehabilitation. The management location had only two people present on the day I visited - 16 principals were listed at the same location, per business wiki. Mail I found in my sister's previous mailbox at the home was from the IRS and was addressed to most of the 16 principals, none of whom were the two people I spoke to at the real estate office.

The office manager spoke to me again a few days later by phone offering information on my sister and brother in law's whereabouts. Turns out one of his employees was a neighbor of my sister and brother in law, along with her parents - I never knew of them as they lived several houses away on a different street. This woman had moved my sister and brother in law into a very rundown apartment complex in a high crime neighborhood.

When I drove over to the apartment complex later that day, I find everyone (including 'friend and her parents') sitting in a smoke filled, roach infested living room on makeshift furniture. No lamps, phone service, television or internet. They did have power and water.

I later found out they had lost everything in the foreclosure except for the car, her purse and the clothes on their backs. I also later determined that 'friend' had advised her to stop making payments on what appeared to be the 5th 'second mortgage' and also advised not to speak to anyone.

When I later related my findings to my sister and her husband, I was informed personally they no longer wanted my help, leave Jacksonville immediately and to 'leave them alone'. Social Services had been called out to the previous home by unknown individuals, who reported back that the occupants refused to answer the door. Property records detailed where court process servers reported that there was obviously someone at home but had refused to answer the door. It came as quite a shock to my sister when the police showed up one day to forcibly remove them from the home.

After my brother in law was later found deceased during the welfare check, I filed papers with the courthouse requesting a Baker Act intervention - it was immediately granted. My sister was held for 11 days and given a clean bill of health - truly incredible. She never gave me full access to their financial records and immediately cut me off from everything I had gained access to previously - her so called 'friend' was (and still is) a regular at my sister's apartment.

Yeah, I know - been there, done that. I'm getting up in age and don't need the stress or responsibility. My finances are good, no debt and health is fair at the moment - feeling a definite decline both physically and mentally unfortunately. Seriously considering selling my vehicles and turning in my driver's license. Have made few friends in my current neighborhood as it's full of the same type of self serving, dishonest, disrespectful and disreputable people.

Police have advised me to move previously but not willing to start over again at this late stage of the game.

Last edited by Charlottean1996; 02-20-2022 at 11:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving