Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM

242 posts, read 596,699 times

Advertisements

This kitten has two badly injured eyes. We thought it was conjunctivitis, because the other cat had it, but its been like it for a long time (since school ended, if you don't know that was 1 month ago in my county). My dad is mainly worried because its a kitten (and is hoping that it is conjunctivitis or bee stings) but really doesn't know if we can do anything about it because these cats are not house cats (they just adopted our backyard). We let them roam in the wild, and four cats have still survived after that (most people just run over animals on my residential road if they are there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,866 times
The only way to know what's really going on is to take the kitty to see a vet...a month is a long time for the poor thing to be plagued by this, and if it's an infection it's only getting worse. It may have started out as pinkeye then got infected due to not being treated...have you guys tried cleaning it or anything? Will kitty let you pet her or pick her up, or is she completely feral?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

No. My dad has to tame it before we can pick it up or pet it and this kitten before it started eating the food we put out (cat food, or the good scraps out of the food that is cooked) ran away every time we came outside so it'll be a while before it happens. I think the kitten is 3 months old.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,329,324 times
Kitty needs to see a vet. A month is a very long time for any kind of infection to linger. Left untreated a kitten can die or loose sight.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:41 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,670,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
Kitty needs to see a vet. A month is a very long time for any kind of infection to linger. Left untreated a kitten can die or loose sight.
I agree with Chasey. You may want to talk to your Dad, and put your heads together as to how best to be able to number one, catch this kitten, and then, two, get her to a vet. And then, you have to remember that this kitten will likely need ongoing treatment every day to clear this infection up.

So, what are you going to do? How are you going to get close enough to this kitten in order to put drops in her eyes? This is starting to sound like you are going to have to make a decision to bring her inside your home, at least on a temporary basis, so that the infection will be totally cleared up. Unfortunately, with infection, just as in humans, infections need time to heal, with medications.

There is a lot here to think about. Best of luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 06:23 PM

Oh, and the other cat that is one of the ones that was born last year (four cats have adopted my dad, I'm not talking the other way around), she got the same thing, and got over it in a week or two (not without passing it to the kitten, unfortunately). Then again I think this other cat is full grown, or almost it, if I'm thinking correctly.
The only way we'd catch the kitten is to do it late at night, because if he found out (or she, not sure) he would run to the hills, and may still find out so we'd have to be careful. Because of the youngest full grown cat running into the house and acting weirder then normal on accident, we're never trying to make a house cat out of any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats