Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM

25 posts, read 343,978 times

Advertisements

I’m a single person, living in a new city, and having to make this decision on my own. I’d appreciate your feedback/experience. My cat Bella just turned 7 years old. Almost 6 months ago she had surgery to remove a mass from her stomach, which turned out to be very advanced intestinal lymphoma. She suffered during that recovery and at that time I decided to keep her home and just treat her with Prednisone until she no longer ate, groomed, and looked out the window and enjoyed herself. Basically, I didn’t want her to suffer anymore and wanted her to have a happier life even if it was shorter. Her prognosis at the time was 2-3 months, but it’s now been almost 6. Most of that time she did remarkably well - even better than most of her life when she suffered from IBD.

Here’s my problem: She’s declined over the last 6 weeks to the point that she is now hiding 24 hours/day in a closet or under furniture. She’s crouched up constantly, which tells me she’s in pain/discomfort. She is eating, but very little (1-2 tsp/day?). She’s vomiting what the Vet and I suspect is digested blood. Obviously, no playing or looking out the window. As I see what I have written here, it seems clear that this is the point that I previously decided I would euthanize her, in order to save her from unnecessary suffering. But, I feel uncertain and have doubts. I feel like she’s “not bad enough” or maybe I’m just in denial. She’s thinner than usual, but not skin & bones, and she’s still alert and able to walk around, though she only moves to a different hiding place (always on the ground.) I also have feelings like “what if she bounces back and recovers?” but again, this may just be denial.

So, my question is, does she have to be a 4 pound pitiful mess before I should euthanize her, or should I be recognizing right now that she has very little quality of life left and is obviously suffering and put an end to it. It makes it harder because she is so young. Her Vet just empathizes with me and understandably doesn't want to make the decision. I've read that I'll know when it's time, but I don't, and I don't know if I ever will unless her situation gets really ugly.

I need help! Sorry to be so longwinded about it...

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 02:01 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
You said it in your post, she is suffering. The vomiting is of concern especially if she is dehydrated. Has the vet offered to help hydrate her to make her more comfortable (IV or subcutaneous)? Would it help if he/she did?

From my experience with my dogs, by the time you resolve that it is time, it is probably past time. If she is unable to accept affection and unable to give it, or unable to look out the window and do the things she would normally do, yes, I think you have your answer.

Take some time with her now, immediately, pet her, talk it over with her, and make the decision for her, not for yourself. We owe it to our pets to help them when they are suffering; it is our responsibility.

You may second guess yourself for months, don't. It is hard to know if you have done this at the right time. However, when there is no hope for recovery or improved quality of life from her current condition, and your pet is suffering in obvious pain, yes, it is the right thing and probably at or past the right time. Hug her, love, her, and let her go. It takes courage to do the right thing.

Thoughts and prayers for your furbaby.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-03-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'm sorry your cat is ill. It's hard to deal with no matter what.

I agree that the vomiting, hiding and crouching means that she is in pain and discomfort. Poor kitty -- give her a gentle pet for me.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I think you already know the answer deep in your heart. Any suffering or complete downgrade in quality of life is reason to let her go gently and with dignity. For all the love and companionship she has given you throughout the yrs, let her go. Gentle hugs to you both.((HUGS))

Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
She’s declined over the last 6 weeks to the point that she is now hiding 24 hours/day in a closet or under furniture.
Yes it's time.

I just lost my 11 yr old golden retriever 2 weeks ago to cancer (hemangiosarcoma). After surgery in April, then several weeks of chemo at a specialty hospital, all of which she tolerated very well and felt fine during, I had my regular vet euthanize her on July 16, when she was no longer feeling well. That was always my plan for her from the time she was a little puppy. Great life, fun, love, the best food and medical care, and never asked to 'hang on' if she wasn't feeling at her best. And I kept that promise.

It's the only thing that an owner can control when a beloved pet has cancer...the ability to give your baby a graceful, loving, pain free exit.

I have no regrets. I miss my golden girl so much, but I know I did the right thing...the best thing...for her.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
The hardest thing we do in life is to say, "Goodbye". But sometimes saying goodbye is the most loving thing we can do.

You gave Bella a wonderful home and life. You made a difference by loving her. She has appreciated that and she has loved you. Please remember that.

I'm sending you all the love in the world. I have also had to make that very hard decision. My heart aches for you. I send you a hug and prayers. And a hug for Bella too.

Bless you! I wish you peace in your heart because I too think you already know what is best for Bella.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
I agree with ShelbyGirl - you do know the answer, but you want reassurance and that's fine too.

It's so hard - there's always the thought or hope that maybe tomorrow will dawn brighter. But it won't, you know it's a one way street with her medical condition.

Let her go before the pain gets worse. This way she can pass peacefully. Having to deal with the emotion of this is hard enough; dealing with it when there's an animal in agony is... well, it takes on a whole different dimension and trust me - you want to avoid it if you can. You can, so you should.

I'm so very sorry.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:35 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grace252 View Post
I’m a single person, living in a new city, and having to make this decision on my own. I’d appreciate your feedback/experience. My cat Bella just turned 7 years old. Almost 6 months ago she had surgery to remove a mass from her stomach, which turned out to be very advanced intestinal lymphoma. She suffered during that recovery and at that time I decided to keep her home and just treat her with Prednisone until she no longer ate, groomed, and looked out the window and enjoyed herself. Basically, I didn’t want her to suffer anymore and wanted her to have a happier life even if it was shorter. Her prognosis at the time was 2-3 months, but it’s now been almost 6. Most of that time she did remarkably well - even better than most of her life when she suffered from IBD.

Here’s my problem: She’s declined over the last 6 weeks to the point that she is now hiding 24 hours/day in a closet or under furniture. She’s crouched up constantly, which tells me she’s in pain/discomfort. She is eating, but very little (1-2 tsp/day?). She’s vomiting what the Vet and I suspect is digested blood. Obviously, no playing or looking out the window. As I see what I have written here, it seems clear that this is the point that I previously decided I would euthanize her, in order to save her from unnecessary suffering. But, I feel uncertain and have doubts. I feel like she’s “not bad enough” or maybe I’m just in denial. She’s thinner than usual, but not skin & bones, and she’s still alert and able to walk around, though she only moves to a different hiding place (always on the ground.) I also have feelings like “what if she bounces back and recovers?” but again, this may just be denial.

So, my question is, does she have to be a 4 pound pitiful mess before I should euthanize her, or should I be recognizing right now that she has very little quality of life left and is obviously suffering and put an end to it. It makes it harder because she is so young. Her Vet just empathizes with me and understandably doesn't want to make the decision. I've read that I'll know when it's time, but I don't, and I don't know if I ever will unless her situation gets really ugly.

I need help! Sorry to be so longwinded about it...

Thank you.
I had my dog put to sleep a week ago. She was at least fifteen but the age wasn't what determined it. She'd managed and been herself for a long time despite arthritus and skin problems I couldn't get rid of. She barked with joy at dinnertime. But then she started having trouble walking and her back legs would start to twitch and she'd fall. I had an appointment with the vet and had to wait a week. She wasn't doing her happy bark anymore though she would eat fine. She hadn't lost weight, but her legs just twitched without control. I had to rescue her out of corners where she could not get free herself. It absolutely broke my heart but I listened to her. She was not having a good life. She was not able to do the joyful things and slept close to me where I could help, and waited for me to do so.

It was very peaceful. I'm waiting for her ashes and will do a ceremony with my other dogs ashes and wish her peace, but I feel her spirit here now and again already, and she's happy now.

If you animal is deteroriating and losing joy, then letting them go is a kindness. In the wild when they isolate its because they are ready to pass on, and sometimes we, for our own selfiish reasons, have them go on past when they love life. I have never put down a pet, but a cat with feline luk. a lot of years ago who was dying, but I will never let a pet live with suffering I can't make better anymore.

I know its hard to let go, but if Bella is that sick I'd give her the gift of peace.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
I have tears in my eyes as I write this. You have come to THE most difficult part of loving a four-legged baby. Suffering as she is, is no way for her to be. I also know that only you know the answer to the question you are asking here, yet, because it is such a hard answer, you wish to have others' opinions to double check yourself.

That is truly understandable. Anyone in your position would be questioning herself.

Yet, please, do what is right by your baby. Give her the greatest gift you can and that is relief from suffering. You have to push your needs aside and put your baby first.

Talk to her. Tell her how much you love her but it is time to say good-bye. You said you are in a strange city. Is there anyone you know who would possibly be able to drive you to the vet with your baby, in order for you to hold her close to your heart beat?

Send Bella to the angels with grace. Give Bella this gift of freedom. Oh, yes, it is heart wrenching but you will know in hindsight that you did right by your baby.

Tender hugs, tears, and love. May peace be yours at this time.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 08-03-2010 at 06:29 PM..

Old 08-03-2010, 06:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
Grace, you are facing what every pet owner dreads. My heart aches for you. Your decision is actually already made. Please do not question yourself. Do what you think is best for Bella. Do not let her suffer because you do not want to let her go. I hope that you do have someone who can be with you as you allow Bella to go to the Bridge in peace and with dignity. Sending the best of thoughts for you and Bella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats