Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I have noticed a knot the size of a half of a kidney bean where he was given the rabies vacc more than a week ago. Does this sound normal to you?

I recal the vet saying something about it but I do not know if it was that it would be normal/not normal if it happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:22 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Forgive my words, Pik, but this is one of the reasons, why I will not vaccinate my cats. When one goes through what I have been through, one tends to be an advocate for these little guys.

Again, Maxie is in my prayers. I hope to God this is nothing to be concerned about.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:45 AM

I hope not either

Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Try not to jump to conclusions. It is very common.

It is quite common for a small, firm, painless swelling to form under the skin at the site where a vaccine was injected. The lump is almost always of no consequence and disappears after several weeks. Rarely, however, the swelling may progress to a sarcoma. To be on the safe side, your veterinarian will suggest that you periodically check the vaccination area for several months after vaccination. If you detect a lump, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. Small samples of the lump will be sent to a laboratory for diagnosis if any of the following are true.
The lump persists for more than three months after vaccination.
  • It is larger than two centimeters in diameter (about the size of an olive)
  • It is increasing in size one month after vaccination.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Thanks ShelbyGirl. Last night was the first I noticed it. I tried to call them today but could not get through. I will call again on Monday so that they will be aware and that we can keep up with it as time goes by.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Thanks ShelbyGirl. Last night was the first I noticed it. I tried to call them today but could not get through. I will call again on Monday so that they will be aware and that we can keep up with it as time goes by.
Sounds like a great plan It is probably nothing, but at the same time, you don't want to ignore it.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
It is very common for cats to get tumors at the shot sites or even far away from it. I don't think that anyone actually knows why. I would recommend if your state allows it, to get the three year rabies vaccination in the future if you choose to. Otherwise, forego it. Dr. Jean Dodd's is a vaccination expert for all animals and her studies have shown that most last a lifetime for both cats and dogs. The only reason we get the rabies vaccination for our dogs is due to local laws. But, we get the three year. It is exactly the same as the one year (ironic part of it) but they charge more. So, the vaccination manufacturers already know that rabies vaccinations last some time.

I hope the knot goes away soon!

Old 08-21-2010, 03:03 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Thank you, ShelbyGirl, for the information. We can always count on you for the facts. You are truly a blessing.

Pik, I was very hesitant to write what I wrote, for I was concerned I would increase your anxiety level more then it was. If that is what happened, I ask your forgiveness.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM

No,its ok, GOE. I remember the vet saying something to me. he told me to let him know if something appeared, and told me about the sarcoma info, he said even if it appears three months down the line, etc.

I just could not recall everything he said until SG posted. I will call up there and let them know on Monday that it has appeared and the first time I noticed it. Hopefully all will be well.

I felt around on it earlier. It does not hurt him, whatever it is.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM

Of course, anything is possible, but cancerous tumors were more apt to happen when vaccinations were given all that the same site. Years of build up, and the tumors were becoming more and more common, which is why years ago...maybe 10....is when they started giving individual vaccinations at designated sites. They all don't go in the scruff of the neck now, which is how it was done for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats