Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,677 times

Advertisements

Reading you're article makes me want to attempt the collar. I recently moved in with some friends of mine and the have unfixed male cat. I have a fixed male cat. Everything was fine when we first moved in but I went a trip for 3 days about 2 weeks ago and when we came back is when the inappropriate urinating started. I want to be mad at him but after reading, I realized you can't do that. I'm just upset because my spouse wants to get rid of him if he doesn't stop so I could use all the help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 04:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor94 View Post
Reading you're article makes me want to attempt the collar. I recently moved in with some friends of mine and the have unfixed male cat. I have a fixed male cat. Everything was fine when we first moved in but I went a trip for 3 days about 2 weeks ago and when we came back is when the inappropriate urinating started. I want to be mad at him but after reading, I realized you can't do that. I'm just upset because my spouse wants to get rid of him if he doesn't stop so I could use all the help I can get.
I won't ask why he isn't already neutered, but that should be your first priority. It will likely fixed the problem, and at the very least will give him a longer & healthier life. It makes a difference if the cat is actually peeing out side the box, or spraying. If he's intact & spraying, it could be territorial or stress related marking. If he urinating inappropriately, it could be a variety of things including a urinary tract infection (maybe caused by stress or poor diet), aversion to the type of litter, litter box location or not cleaned often enough, changes in household & routine (again stress-related).
Best advice is take him to your vet & get him checked out... and hopefully neutered while he's there.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I won't ask why he isn't already neutered, but that should be your first priority. It will likely fixed the problem, and at the very least will give him a longer & healthier life. It makes a difference if the cat is actually peeing out side the box, or spraying. If he's intact & spraying, it could be territorial or stress related marking. If he urinating inappropriately, it could be a variety of things including a urinary tract infection (maybe caused by stress or poor diet), aversion to the type of litter, litter box location or not cleaned often enough, changes in household & routine (again stress-related).
Best advice is take him to your vet & get him checked out... and hopefully neutered while he's there.
^^^Great advice.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 9,239 times
I agree about those Natures Miracle products really aren't affective. The only thing that works for me is chlorine. I have a hot tub, so I just sprikled a tiny bit on the affected area of urine, along with hot water to dilute. I took a rag and scrubbed the area and the smell was immediately and permanently gone. It sanitizes very thoroughly as well. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Don't I know.......the hardwood flooring we have on the first floor, yes, in spots has had urine go right through the poly. Yep, yep and yep.

The other option is tile, but I don't want to go there. Tile is cold and not very safe when a fall is involved, or rough play. Nope.

My rug is really a hopeless cause. That is what happens when wild/feral cats are indoors.....it is instinctual. I have other males that do not spray, which is a miracle in of itself, but they are not of wild or feral background either.

This is something I have gone round and round with, and yes, it is extremely frustrating. My home used to be so neat and clean and orderly. LOL It sure is not like that anymore.......BUT!!!! The LOVE that I receive, the family I have now, I would NOT trade for anything in the world! Kids (human) can do a real number on homes as well......I just happen to have perpetual young kids........

But, again, I do really thank you for the information. I honestly can't see one of my wild males tolerating a collar, but IF I don't at least try.....I'll never know! LOL

I totally understand your frustration. I went through my cat having a bad UTI , peeing in the corner on the carpet in the basement. The smell was stagnant! It stunk up both floors of my house. After trying everything they sell in the stores and still no results, I tried chlorine. Sounds crazy but so powerful and very effective. I use it for my hot tub so I already had some laying around. It's very potent so only takes a few sprinkles along with some hot water and scrubbing with a soft cloth. The smell was pretty much immediately gone and did not return as long as she didn't pee on it again.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:58 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Jones View Post
Our cat Puffy has been driving the entire family crazy with his peeing everywhere. We bought de-scenting sprays and special cleaners, which he ignored and re-marked all over the house...some advice? (I refuse neuter my cat.) Thank you.
Well, he's doing what any intact male cat will do. Every time you remove the scent he's purposely placed to mark his territorial boundaries, he has to go back and re-mark. In the Big Cat world, many zoos and sanctuaries are now leaving markings as is, whereas before, zookeepers and handlers used to bleach the heck out of these spots (trees, rocks, sides of buildings, etc.). It's been discovered that the constant removal of territory markings causes more stress in the animals.

Naturally no one can leave territorial markings as is inside a home or the smell will drive us out. So, you have two choices: 1) buy gas masks for the family, or 2) neuter your male cat. This is a benign procedure that saves everyone's sanity - including (and most importantly!) your cat's.

However, regardless if you ignore this advice or not, a vet visit pronto is warranted to rule out a medical issue. A cat that starts spraying or peeing inappropriately is telling you something, and many times (if not most times) he is saying "something is not right, and I don't feel well".

EDIT: I have no idea what happened to the post to which I was responding ... it disappeared between the time I read it and when I wrote the reply. Strange.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Well, he's doing what any intact male cat will do. Every time you remove the scent he's purposely placed to mark his territorial boundaries, he has to go back and re-mark. In the Big Cat world, many zoos and sanctuaries are now leaving markings as is, whereas before, zookeepers and handlers used to bleach the heck out of these spots (trees, rocks, sides of buildings, etc.). It's been discovered that the constant removal of territory markings causes more stress in the animals.

Naturally no one can leave territorial markings as is inside a home or the smell will drive us out. So, you have two choices: 1) buy gas masks for the family, or 2) neuter your male cat. This is a benign procedure that saves everyone's sanity - including (and most importantly!) your cat's.

However, regardless if you ignore this advice or not, a vet visit pronto is warranted to rule out a medical issue. A cat that starts spraying or peeing inappropriately is telling you something, and many times (if not most times) he is saying "something is not right, and I don't feel well".

EDIT: I have no idea what happened to the post to which I was responding ... it disappeared between the time I read it and when I wrote the reply. Strange.
So that's why I couldn't find it.

You were probably wasting your time anyway. Anyone who says "I refuse to neuter my cat" is creating their own problem with their ignorant attitude. Unfortunately, I see a bad outcome for that poster's cat.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,463 times
Hi,
My problem is my cat pees on the tile floor + the door mat near her litter tray-not exclusively but certainly on a daily basis. We have just moved but she used to do it on a strip of carpet just outside the bathroom where her litter tray was. You think the Feliway collar will help?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:08 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma Page View Post
Hi,
My problem is my cat pees on the tile floor + the door mat near her litter tray-not exclusively but certainly on a daily basis. We have just moved but she used to do it on a strip of carpet just outside the bathroom where her litter tray was. You think the Feliway collar will help?
It won't hurt to try.

However, since she peed on carpet next to her litter box before the move, it may be an ingrained habit now.

If and when you have tried everything you can think of and are ready to give up, you could always lay down a couple layers of paper towels on the floor close to her litter box for her to pee on instead of the door mat......at least it would be a lot easier to clean up.

Throw the soiled paper towels in the garbage {outside}, spray the spot with a little Windex or something, a quick wipe and all clean.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:20 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
Emma Page ... What have you tried? Have you tried changing the kind of litter box (getting a bigger one or taking off the cover if it's covered)? Have you experimented with other kinds of litter? How often do you clean it? Is the box kept in a too-small space that might feel confining? Since your cat pees near it, there's something that is bugging her about the box ... or was bugging her in your previous home and she picked up the behavioral habit of going outside the box. Feliway might help if she's anxious about something, but won't help at all if it's not an emotional issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats