Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times

Advertisements

I don't like to travel at all...and I only have one cat. But, I think that the "hoarding" starts when you are defensive about how many pets you have, and how much money you spend on food, and vet care.

Now, some people just like animals more than people...that is okay, I like my cat much more than some people I know...but when you start attributing "human" feelings, onto a pet, and can't differentiate that it is a cat, or dog...not a child. People tend to develop ideas about their pets moods, thoughts, and personalities that attribute human qualities onto a creature that is not human. Cats are not babies...

The issue of how many is too many...for me, one is enough. For my Mom, her motto is "Cats are like potato chips, you can't stop at one"...if a person wants to spend 2-4 hours a day doing things for cats, cleaning up after them...that is a choice...I would not do it...

There is this one woman, who I consider a hoarder...she has tons of kittens, she loves kittens...she won't part with any of them, because she thinks that no one can take good care of kittens like she can. She thinks children are too rough, and that kittens need a full time caretaker, so no one with a job can have one of her kittens...or a child...so, she keeps kittens until they are about a year or two, then she tries to re-home them...well...the chances are not as good for them at that age...and she does not fix her cats, because she wants has all sorts of reasons why not to spay or nueter cats...she currently has over 100 cats...and was actually in jeopardy of losing her home...when she had 300. I like kittens too...I pet them, and move on...

If there was an emergency, and you had to evacuate your home...could you evacuate all of your pets? Do you have emergency supplies for each one? If the answer to that is no...then you need to assess your number of pets....after all, you are responsible for each one of those little creatures, you made a commitment to them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
for me...a hoarder is a person who takes in an animal despite not being able to properly care for it (this includeds food, attention and medical care) or must sacrifice their own well being to care for their animals (im not talking giving up a vacation or late nights out with friedns ect...im talking not being able to put food on your own table and feed your pets at the same time)

ive been called a hoarder, i have 2 small dogs, a cat (now 2 cats and 3 temporary additions) 3 birds and fish...
but not one of them ever wants for good food, attention, excersize, training, and individual attention, nor do i ever have to worry about affording the vet if any of my pets needs one.
in the meantime i can still feed myself, pay my rent and bills and put gas in my car...
so i dont feel i am a hoarder in any way shape or form.

i think many just assume lots of pets mean your a hoarder, but in reality a hoarder is someone who takes in "things" (be they alive or not, usefull or not ect) they do not need and cannot properly care for.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have 2 cats and one dog and I don't like to be away from home either. Not because of my pets necessarily, just because I like being at home. Strange beds, food, etc are not my idea of a good time. I got all my traveling all over the world done before I got too old to enjoy it so I guess I'm at that stage now as I have no desire to ride in a car for hours, be packed in a plane like a sardine, paddle around without my shoes in the airport or wait in line for anything at all.
You forgot something............BEDBUGS!

The thought of staying in motels no longer appeals to me.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Your kitties are beautiful!!!
Thank you, J-City! You are seeing a lot of work in progresses regarding my babies' health. One day, I know I will be able to say, finally, at last, they are fully healed, or as good as they are going to get!!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You forgot something............BEDBUGS!

The thought of staying in motels no longer appeals to me.
Ewwwww! Shudder! Just the thought of REAL bed bugs.......gross!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
for me...a hoarder is a person who takes in an animal despite not being able to properly care for it (this includeds food, attention and medical care) or must sacrifice their own well being to care for their animals (im not talking giving up a vacation or late nights out with friedns ect...im talking not being able to put food on your own table and feed your pets at the same time)

ive been called a hoarder, i have 2 small dogs, a cat (now 2 cats and 3 temporary additions) 3 birds and fish...
but not one of them ever wants for good food, attention, excersize, training, and individual attention, nor do i ever have to worry about affording the vet if any of my pets needs one.
in the meantime i can still feed myself, pay my rent and bills and put gas in my car...
so i dont feel i am a hoarder in any way shape or form.

i think many just assume lots of pets mean your a hoarder, but in reality a hoarder is someone who takes in "things" (be they alive or not, usefull or not ect) they do not need and cannot properly care for.
Agree!

I don't tell too many people, in the real world, how may pets we have... mostly due to incorrect assumptions.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If there was an emergency, and you had to evacuate your home...could you evacuate all of your pets? Do you have emergency supplies for each one? If the answer to that is no...then you need to assess your number of pets....after all, you are responsible for each one of those little creatures, you made a commitment to them...
Fact: There are no guarantees in life.

Fact: When a cat is scared, it will run and hide.

So, in the case of a fire, even if you only have one cat, there are no guarantees that you will be able to find the cat, and then get that cat out.

I make sure I know ALL hiding places of each one of my cats. That still is not guarantee that I will be able to get that cat out. Cats tend to freeze or really lash out when frightened, and when in an emergency situation, do any of us really think straight? Man, oh man alive, there are more things to focus on then the horror of a fire. I would be a nervous wreck if I lived my life that way.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
I was thinking more in terms of a wildfire coming towards your home, when you have to evacuate, and you have time to prepare, about an hour...I lived that once...another time I had to evacuate my pet due to a hurricane...

Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I was thinking more in terms of a wildfire coming towards your home, when you have to evacuate, and you have time to prepare, about an hour...I lived that once...another time I had to evacuate my pet due to a hurricane...
An hour would be ample time...I could get my whole animal clan into carriers and out the door within 10 minutes, tops...all 7 of them . It's all about the treats, LOL!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
i saw a cartoon recently where 2 kitties were sitting next to a carrier, talking... one said to the other something to the effect that he was CONVINCED that the carrier was some sort of time-space portal.... every time he goes in there, he comes out at the vet's office and then when he goes in there again, he comes out at home!!

THAT is my max-cat's opinion of the carrier... poor little fella has had several trips to the kitty vet over the past couple of months.... i could put filet mignon, chicken breast, tuna AND cheese AND his sister Charlie in it and he still would not go in there without some "assistance" from me.....

but with an hour's notice, i have no doubt all 4 of my furfaces would be loaded and we would be on our way.... well within the deadline......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats