Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:55 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

We have 2 cats and 1 dog. All three are about 8 years old. I have been spending an inordinate amount of time looking at (online) adoptable cats and dogs. Why? DH wants to know that too.

I can't even remember the last time I held a kitten or snuggled with a puppy. I know I could get my fix at shelters and Adoption Day at Petsmart but I don't trust myself to only look.

I love my fur babies and nobody is sick so it's not that I'm looking for a replacement. Am I lacking something in my life which makes me yearn for a small warm something to love and nurture? We still have kids at home and in most ways my life is great but I think I could very easily become that Neighborhood Cat Lady. Ho do you deal with the urge to take in One More?

P.S. I think DH would really get PO'd if I did. He loves them too but more in a tolerance kind of way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
My theory... if it is meant to be, another will "find" you.

We have 2 dogs (one adopted consciously) and 7 cats (one adopted consciously). I no longer have the urge for more. I have actually told people no, when asked to take their dog, stray cat, etc. I can look at the animals up for adoption at Petco... and walk away.

Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think we would ever have 9 furkids! I wouldn't re-home ANY of them, but we are at our limit...physically, mentally, and financially. Any more would be unfair to the animal.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:58 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,395 times
I agree with Lolo, they will find you. All my cats have found me.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:08 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I'm at my limit as well...3 cats and 4 little dogs are plenty for me, they definitely keep me on my toes! I told myself I'd stop at 6 so I could continue to foster at least one animal at a time, but when little Boo entered my life, I knew she didn't stand a very good chance of finding a forever home due to her age (8 yrs at the time), appearance (missing an eye), and the slew of issues she had after being abused and neglected for so many years in her previous home...my heart wouldn't let me say "no", because I knew I'd have the patience to help her through these issues and love her enough to stick it out, no matter how difficult it got.

I think if an animal is destined to find you, it will happen...you won't have to go "looking", and as soon as you look into those eyes, you'll just "know".

That being said, I do get a *mild* case of jealousy when I see people at Petsmart with their teenie-tiny puppies and kitties...I want to snuggle them and smell that intoxicating puppy/kitten smell SO BAD...and then I remember the destruction, bad potties, and all the other stuff that goes along with puppies and kittens, and I go home to my adult animals in a VERY grateful frame of mind, LOL!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:42 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I have one cat. He came as an adult, fixed. He cost $20 with food and a kennel. I got him on CL. I would have liked a kitten, but it would have been more costly, and I am not home much. I know that one is all I can afford to have, or take care of. If I have to move, I could get one of my kids or Mom to take care of him for awhile if needed...two, that becomes more complicated.

I would like a dog again...but I doubt that will happen. I work too much, and don't live in a place that allows pets.

At some point you have to have a boundary, that says, "I have saved these guys, and give them the best home I can". While wanting a new pet is nice to think about, it is a want, not a need. As a matter of fact, you don't need" pets at all, you get them because you want them. Now, you have enough.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:02 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
My theory... if it is meant to be, another will "find" you.

We have 2 dogs (one adopted consciously) and 7 cats (one adopted consciously). I no longer have the urge for more. I have actually told people no, when asked to take their dog, stray cat, etc. I can look at the animals up for adoption at Petco... and walk away.

Never, in my wildest dreams, did I think we would ever have 9 furkids! I wouldn't re-home ANY of them, but we are at our limit...physically, mentally, and financially. Any more would be unfair to the animal.
Yes, I agree. I like to have four cats, but when my little old lady kitty went to the Bridge in May '09 I decided to stay at three and wait for the unthinkable but inevitable to happen though hopefully not for many years....and when I was down to two, adopt an older pair who needed to be kept together.

I hadn't had a kitten in 12 years and was not planning on any more kittens ever, though every time I said that, I always added the disclaimer "unless of course I am Chosen".

Well, it seems Fate chose to put a tiny black kitten in my path and who am I to say no to that message? So she is here, and I can't imagine life without her. And...I said "no" to offers of cats three times in the time between my girlie leaving us, and the kitten being placed in my path. Those other three were people looking to unload responsibility. The kitten was meant to be.

But four is, has always been, my limit.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We have 2 cats and 1 dog. All three are about 8 years old. I have been spending an inordinate amount of time looking at (online) adoptable cats and dogs. Why? DH wants to know that too.
Could it be you're not getting what you need from the ones you have or need more than they're giving you?

Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I held a kitten or snuggled with a puppy. I know I could get my fix at shelters and Adoption Day at Petsmart but I don't trust myself to only look.
Just don't touch. Look and enjoy and move on.........

Quote:
I love my fur babies and nobody is sick so it's not that I'm looking for a replacement. Am I lacking something in my life which makes me yearn for a small warm something to love and nurture? We still have kids at home and in most ways my life is great but I think I could very easily become that Neighborhood Cat Lady. Ho do you deal with the urge to take in One More?
The same way I deal with the urge to eat a whole bag of chips or chocolate bar. JUST SAY NO!

Quote:
P.S. I think DH would really get PO'd if I did. He loves them too but more in a tolerance kind of way.
Let us know what he does if you bring a new one home.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 PM

575 posts, read 1,995,302 times
Going through some of the old threads as I am new to the boards. Thought I'd give this one a bump because I read the OP and thought "OMG That is SOOO me!" LOL

Me in a nutshell: We got my first cat in 2001 - street cat (parking lot special) Hubby (BF at the time) said NO WAY, but the cat came home. I always wanted a cat but grew up with dogs. Now that I was living on my own I was going to have a cat!

Years later I was cruising petfinder.com because cat#1 needed a friend. To my surprise, hubby said Yes. So we got cat #2.

Cat #1 Died, in 2008 so we got cat #3. I loved Cat #3 so much that 9 months later, you guessed it! Cat #4 and now we are expecting cat #5!!!

So there you have it - how I have 4 cats (almost) living in my house. Hubby never wanted cat #4 that was a major fight in my house! OMG! And at Cat #5 I think he just waved the white flag.

He loves them all! I catch him snuggling them and talking to them and sneaking them breakfast but he'd be happy with just the one #2 cat. OH YEAH- and our dog LOL.

I think some people are just prone to want a houseful. I take care of them beyond reasonable standard. And as long as I can maintain that - the more the merrier. But this really is my limit. *she winks* Nothing wrong with wanting another baby - just be sure that the additional never comes at the expense of the ones you already have.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:53 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
the only thing that i can do is stay away from shelters!!! and even while in the pet stores i have to stay away from the kitten adoption area. im such a freaking sucker. i have 2 cats already. i would get more but i dont want my house over run with hair and litter. i want a dog too, but the cats would probably not like that.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:53 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I'd like to have another one, but then I think of the expense, it might be picky, health problems, etc. Snickers is happy by himself, and I plan to keep it that way. When I go to Petsmart, I go in and play with whoever is out of the cages, and I keep it at that. The two cats that I did find have gone to other homes, one of which I gave to a neighbor, and the cat comes to visit me when he lets them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats