Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times

Advertisements

Interesting article. I have sister cats. One meows a lot and the other rarely meows at all. Even when the quiet one does meow, it is usually when there's a bug on the ceiling or something. She purrs a lot, though. My big fuzzy boy will sit in the window and howl. When I call his name he runs to me and starts telling me what he's so excited about. Of course, I don't speak cat. Whatever it was, he just had to tell me. If I talk to him, he talks back.

When my sister's cat sees something he wants but can't get (like a laser dot on the ceiling) he opens his mouth, but no real meow comes out. It's like a clicking noise. Weird. I've seen a few other cats do it.

Anyway, here's the article
mental_floss Blog » Why Cats Meow

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 06-05-2011 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
Mickey used to "chatter" when he saw birds at the window bird feeder. He did not meow much, and he had a very soft mew.

Jasper talks a lot. Usually only when I have been gone, he greets me and discusses the day.

Pierre was hilarious...Siamese have very DEFINITE personalities, and opinions on everything. Once we went on a trip for a week, and he was stuck with a catsitter, and had to spend the week with his "little brother" (Mickey), whom he HATED, anyway when we came home he loudly meowed for an hour! And he was saying--"and then HE did this, and then HE did that!". (I will admit Mickey was trying, he would sneak up on Pierre, reach out to make sure he was dead asleep, he would back up and do a running JUMP and grab Pierre in a headlock).

Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I love Siamese cats! Two of my favorites were Siamese. The cattiest of cats! They are Siamese whether you please or don't please.

Some cats have a lot to say and others don't, just like people.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 AM

180 posts, read 701,002 times
One of my cats doesn't just meow, he plain talks. He's a siamese cross like his sister but has a gray tabby phenotype, while the sister has the dark points and blue eyes.

Anyway, boy cat can get a little...rambunctious at times and sometimes needs a time-out if I'm working on something important. So I'll put him in another room or in their large cage for a few minutes.

He literally says, "Ma-ma! Aw naw! Aw naw!", as if he's trying to say "oh no". Then when I let him out he'll nearly rub the skin off me with displays of affection.

His sister, on the other hand, is very calm and likes to cuddle and chirp out of contentment...all the time. She likes to return my blinks to tell me she's happy and relaxed rather than meow loudly.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,145 times
One of my cats, Dolly, has never uttered a sound. She opens her mouth and she meows in silence. She was a feral I caught 9 years ago. I had another cat, who passed on, that would talk to me non-stop when I came home from work. She would keep this up for an hour! I guess she was tattleing on the other ones.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
I see that comment all the time that cats don't meow to one another, but I guess my cats never got that memo, because they do meow to one another, quite frequently. And brrrup and meep and chirp too. They talk to me, they talk to each other, they talk to themselves, it is never silent here.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
My youngest tabby was a talker. When I found her as a stray and put her in my car, she talked the whole way home--like she was telling me her story. Well, it never stopped. For her, I think it was insecurity and a way to make herself feel more "heard." The other ones were quiet, although I had an orange/white male once who made a funny "Oooow, ooooow" noise. Same one who'd open and close the cabinet doors at night.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,604,392 times
I've heard that cats don't talk to each other, but my cats do. If Cooper sees that Fritz is about to pounce on him or try to play and Cooper doesn't want to he meows, like he's saying "please, not now." And I've noticed now that Fritz is growing up he listens more to those requests! Cooper talks a lot to me and Fritz only meows when he needs me for something, like when he can't reach a bug.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I've heard that cats don't talk to each other, but my cats do. If Cooper sees that Fritz is about to pounce on him or try to play and Cooper doesn't want to he meows, like he's saying "please, not now." And I've noticed now that Fritz is growing up he listens more to those requests! Cooper talks a lot to me and Fritz only meows when he needs me for something, like when he can't reach a bug.
I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats