Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

We have a 6 month old kitten that meows incessantly ALL DAY LONG. There is no medical reason for this (we took her to the vet). She has toys, a kitty condo, we play with her, and we also have a puppy that she loves playing with. Her litterbox is clean, she always has access to dry food and gets her other food twice a day, so it's not like she's being abused in this house. She begins meowing at 6am an doesn't stop until well after 11pm. My husband works from home and is really frustrated because she meows when he is on the phone with clients, which makes him sound very unprofessional. He's been locking her in the bathroom for the last couple of days during his work hours because he can't get any work done. We live in an apartment, and our neighbors are less than thrilled. They can hear everything in their apartment. Our puppy rarely ever barks (maybe once in a while when we're playing with him). But this cat just will not shut up. Is it normal for a cat to meow this much? I had cats in the past and have never experienced anything to this extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I don't think that's normal. I've had cats for 20+ yrs and none of them ever did that.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 AM

13 posts, read 82,313 times
My present cat is like this. None of the other's I've had meowed unless food are bothersome activities were involved. He even meows when we're petting him or he's snuggling, so it's not in order to get attention. I really think he may just be a talker. Sorry I have no advise, just some comisseration.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew06 View Post
My present cat is like this. None of the other's I've had meowed unless food are bothersome activities were involved. He even meows when we're petting him or he's snuggling, so it's not in order to get attention. I really think he may just be a talker. Sorry I have no advise, just some comisseration.
Yup, she meows when we're petting her too. It's funny, most apartments don't allow dogs because they bark, but we have the opposite problem here. She's more like the dog in the family.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Cool Mocha is a chatty cathy!

My Mocha is the FIRST cat I have ever own who talks to me practicly all the time, unless she is napping or doesn't want to be bothered/resting or of course eating. She wakes me up chatty in the middle of the night, she tells me all about her day when I get home and all about her night when I wake up.

Its her breed. She is a Tonkanese which tend to be very chatty. If you know the breed of your precious talker check out animal planets cat breed selector and select her breed. if not ask you vet if they have an idea as to what breed she could be or leans towards with all that chatting. I know most vets default to DSH or DLH even then you can imput your cats traits as desires and get an idea.

Don't know of anything to combat it cant feed it constantly... will get too fat. I just have fun with it till she slows down. Lots of time it could be a seperation thing. Check with vet, since she is kitten she might grown out of it once she settles into you home and routines.

Does your cat meow incessantly?-temp-keeper011.jpg

Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM

Glad to hear others have talkers too! She is a sphynx, though other sphynx owners say their cats are not quite this vocal. She's not home alone much and plays with the dog all the time, so she is entertained. But she would sit on my shoulder all day if I let her.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:00 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
Our young Tortie is also a chatterbox though it's not all day. She usually is vocal at night, waking us up with constant talk while we're trying to sleep. I was just telling my DH that the pets in our house have been way more disruptive than our kids!
He had a Siamese when we met who talked a lot and LOUDLY! It got worse as she aged and became deaf. Then her verbalizations could make me jump.
If there's nothing physically wrong then it's just the cat's nature to talk too much, just like people we may know.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin View Post
If there's nothing physically wrong then it's just the cat's nature to talk too much, just like people we may know.
Got a hoot from that! I have one chatterbox in my crew. I barely breathe and she goes, "WHAT?" and I go to do something and she's right over my shoulder going, "WHAT'RE YOU DOING?" and then if walk away she's, "HEY, WHERE YOU GOING?" She's still the baby of the household at 9 months old now and no doubt will quieten down in due course but the duct tape sometimes looks very tempting ...

Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM

242 posts, read 735,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Yup, she meows when we're petting her too. It's funny, most apartments don't allow dogs because they bark, but we have the opposite problem here. She's more like the dog in the family.

what did the vet say?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Glad to hear others have talkers too! She is a sphynx, though other sphynx owners say their cats are not quite this vocal. She's not home alone much and plays with the dog all the time, so she is entertained. But she would sit on my shoulder all day if I let her.
The Sphynx: Personality
According to the French breed standard, the Sphynx is part monkey, part dog, part child, and part cat. The breed does seem to possess some personality traits of each, despite what geneticists might say about such a combination. To say Sphynxes are lively is an understatement; they perform monkey-like aerialist feats from the top of doorways and bookshelves. Very devoted and loyal, they follow their humans around, wagging their tails doggy fashion and purring with affection. They demand your unconditional attention and are as mischievous (and lovable) as children. And despite all that and their alien appearance, they are completely cats, with all the mystery and charm that has fascinated humankind for thousands of years. While the Sphynx may not be for everyone, its unique appearance and charming temperament has won it an active, enthusiastic following.

I take it if the Sphynx fits wear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats