Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

I've read a few posts on here, but they seem to be referring to feral kittens only. I got a kitten a few days ago from my Uncle that was born to a stray in his barn. She is a gorgeous cat and is very playful, however she only likes me when I give her food or play with her. I can't even walk past her without her hissing and running back under the bed. I have another cat who she seems to be getting along with, it is just us humans that she's not very fond of. What can I do to have her warm up to me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 10:12 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Give her some time to adjust...she's probably not very used to humans so doesn't yet understand that they can be trusted. Keep playing interactive games with her, it will help strengthen the bond, and she'll warm up soon! Also, give her some treats and talk to her in a soft, soothing voice, and approach her slowly and without any sudden movement...be "fluid", like a cat. You can also give her the "love eyes", which is a long blink. She'll warm up...hang in there and be patient, I know it can be hard, but it'll happen!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
As young as she is, it probably won't be very hard to tame her down. Give her time. She has to learn that she can trust you.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:49 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
I agree with luvmycat and catman. It will take a little time. Barn cats aren't exactly feral, but they aren't exactly like cats who live in a house with people either. The fact that your kitten will play with you is a good sign.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:25 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times
Try to spend time with her without play or food or other kitties. Like sit on the floor and watch TV, don't pay attention to her, don't look at her and see if slowly she aproaches you. And if she does approach keep ignoring her, maybe talk softly, no sudden movements. Be calm. It's good to do this at a time when she's calm too, like in the middle of the day. I know my cats' crazy/play-with-each-other time is at night and during the day they sleep. The more you have these calm moments with her (when there are no distractions or other kitties) the more she'll understand you mean no harm. And she'll start approaching you more on her own.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
She's a baby and taking time to adjust....some cats are more naturally skittish (I imagine this is probably a pretty good survival trait) but I think she will come around if you give her some time, like the others said, and don't force anything or do anything to scare her more.

I also think it is a cool sign that she plays with you; keep it up!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatlexie View Post
I've read a few posts on here, but they seem to be referring to feral kittens only. I got a kitten a few days ago from my Uncle that was born to a stray in his barn. She is a gorgeous cat and is very playful, however she only likes me when I give her food or play with her. I can't even walk past her without her hissing and running back under the bed. I have another cat who she seems to be getting along with, it is just us humans that she's not very fond of. What can I do to have her warm up to me??
Log on to "My Cat From Hell". Jackson Galaxy is amazing with cats and he has a show on AP.

I think your kitten will be fine, but it never hurts to learn more abour cat behavior.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
What J-CityRelo said above (post #5)! That's the way to go about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats