Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 PM

97 posts, read 210,562 times

Advertisements

So I need to have my cat's teeth cleaned. My cat has inflamed gums and one loose tooth that will need to be pulled, so this is not something I can put off. I've been calling around and the estimates I'm getting are anywhere from $650-$900, a combination of consultation, blood work, cleaning, extraction, and then the follow up meds.

I checked into the local veterinary college, because I'd heard that may be cheaper - they said a minimum of $900. It's just insanity! I know there's a lot involved here, but 10 years ago it was half the cost to get this done. Cats seem to have more dental issues nowadays, and I feel like vets take advantage of the fact. It's easy money!

Is it just me???

BTW, I live in Massachusetts, so maybe that makes a difference.

Thanks for letting me rant. Do they have false teeth for kitties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,467,922 times
You are not alone. I'm dreading the day when my vet says it's time for their teeth to get cleaned. I've tried and tried doing it at home but it's a nightmare and I always end up with my hands shredded like confetti. I can't even afford insurance to cover the cleaning. So I'm just saving up for the big day.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
You are not alone. I'm dreading the day when my vet says it's time for their teeth to get cleaned. I've tried and tried doing it at home but it's a nightmare and I always end up with my hands shredded like confetti. I can't even afford insurance to cover the cleaning. So I'm just saving up for the big day.
LOL, I know what you mean- and I feel like I'm traumatizing my cats when I brush their teeth, no matter how gentle I am.

Sort of related: I'm thinking of moving my kitties to a raw diet. I've heard so much about how much better it is for their teeth (and everything else, for that matter). It's more expensive, but could it be more expensive in the long run than getting these cleanings all the time?? Yikes

Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
How old is you cat with the teeth issue?

I don't know if moving to raw diet will help specifically with teeth, maybe, although I think the only real effect there may be if you include some bone (not ground). Certainly raw food is a fine thing to try out in general if you're game.

Apparently a lot of the issue with teeth is down to luck, though, unless you know a lot about the genetic history of your cat(s). For example, mine is 15 and never had any dental work at all, nor have I ever cleaned her teeth at home. You can attempt to do some things with diet, maybe supplements, and maybe cleaning at home, but it seems the biggest determinator is genetics from what I've been able to discern (which, admittedly, isn't at all an exhaustive analysis. )

Old 08-18-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
How old is you cat with the teeth issue?

I don't know if moving to raw diet will help specifically with teeth, maybe, although I think the only real effect there may be if you include some bone (not ground). Certainly raw food is a fine thing to try out in general if you're game.

Apparently a lot of the issue with teeth is down to luck, though, unless you know a lot about the genetic history of your cat(s). For example, mine is 15 and never had any dental work at all, nor have I ever cleaned her teeth at home. You can attempt to do some things with diet, maybe supplements, and maybe cleaning at home, but it seems the biggest determinator is genetics from what I've been able to discern (which, admittedly, isn't at all an exhaustive analysis. )
Yes, you're right on the money with this cat, it's luck with this kitty! We have two 3 year old cats - 2 sisters from the same litter. She has terrible teeth and her sister's teeth are fine. She seems to have quite a different immune system than her sister, overall. We tried giving her Plaqueoff, which cut down on her redness a bit, but didn't really go much further than that.

The fact that she seems so vulnerable to infections and things is what makes me want to try raw food. We're feeding them Iams now, which is decent, but it's still got corn meal and all that garbage in it. The same way carbs and sugars aren't great for inflammatory diseases in humans, I'm just guessing that corn meal isn't the best thing for a cat with inflammatory issues. We'll see how it goes!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
Not sure if this would work in your area, but my friend did this when she got her dog's teeth cleaned. When she brought the dog in for the cleaning they had her sign an estimate and she basically crossed off a ton of things included in the estimate, signed it and paid $200 instead of $500. Her estimate included extractions/oxyfresh/cet chews etc. If you're just calling vets that aren't your normal vet, the estimate may include the extras. Your normal vet will be able to give you an estimate that's specifically for your cat and may be less, especially if you tell them you can't pay a lot. Just go over the estimate line item by line item with the vet when they give it to you.

Also February is dental month so usually dentals are 10-15% off. Not sure if your kitty can wait that long though.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Not sure if this would work in your area, but my friend did this when she got her dog's teeth cleaned. When she brought the dog in for the cleaning they had her sign an estimate and she basically crossed off a ton of things included in the estimate, signed it and paid $200 instead of $500. Her estimate included extractions/oxyfresh/cet chews etc. If you're just calling vets that aren't your normal vet, the estimate may include the extras. Your normal vet will be able to give you an estimate that's specifically for your cat and may be less, especially if you tell them you can't pay a lot. Just go over the estimate line item by line item with the vet when they give it to you.

Also February is dental month so usually dentals are 10-15% off. Not sure if your kitty can wait that long though.

Not a bad idea, thanks!
I usually just sign off on whatever they put in front of me because I figure they know what's best, and I can't handle the guilt!

We've got an appointment with our regular vet - as it turns out, he was the cheapest estimate, just barely.

I really like our vet personally, I believe he really cares about animals, but I wish he had his own business. He's part of a nationwide chain, which immediately makes me suspicious of any tests or vaccines or preventative programs he tries to talk us into.

We have indoor cats; with the things they try to sell you, you'd think they spent their days fighting with rabid squirrels and eating parasite infested rodents. Lying around in front of the window, which they do for most of the day, seems like a pretty safe existence to me!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats-r-us View Post
We have indoor cats; with the things they try to sell you, you'd think they spent their days fighting with rabid squirrels and eating parasite infested rodents. Lying around in front of the window, which they do for most of the day, seems like a pretty safe existence to me!
Agreed! My indoor cats do much of the same.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM

84 posts, read 277,346 times
it is the preop bloodwork and the anesthesia that really jack the cost up. we will need to do it soon for one of ours..... credit card.....

Old 08-18-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieNolan View Post
it is the preop bloodwork and the anesthesia that really jack the cost up. we will need to do it soon for one of ours..... credit card.....
It's really brutal - the bloodwork seems to be such a formality too.

p.s. is your nickname a reference to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats